Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rendering a movie as 2560x1440??

May 30, 2012 1:24 PM

I have a client who has provided a series of TGA files that were rendered at 2560x1440 (3ds max). They are intending to play a full-screen video on a 27" iMac and seem to think that the size of the movie has to match the resolution of the iMac for best results. Am I crazy in thinking that a movie that size at 24fps won't even come close to playing smoothly, if at all? I would think that we ought to be creating a 1080i project that would play full-screen in QT as H.264. Thoughts?

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to StreetwiseCreative

If the client has a RAID hooked up via Thunderbolt or something, it could work.  If it's off the inter\nal hard drive, it's a crap shoot. 

I suggest making a simple test movie at the resolution the client wants: perhaps a minute's worth of a white circle bouncing around on the screen, like in the venerable Pong game.  If it takes you more than 5 minutes to whip it up, you've spent too much time on it.

It will also be a good test if AE will even allow you to render in H.264 at that resolution; it may not.

And H.264 doesn't do interlaced: only progressive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to StreetwiseCreative

H.264: you might as well find out if it's going to work for you, which is another reason for the test, yes?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:08 PM   in reply to StreetwiseCreative

Use H.264 as Dave advised and set it to level 5.1 to be able to use that resolution. The rest is merely a matter of experimentation I would assume. If properly configured, any contemporary system should be able to handle this with a bit of graphics acceleration. The only potential issue I see here is the iMacs possibly heating up too much under the stress and then something might break down. Inherent in the design of the system with everything being crammed into so little space...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

Dave LaRonde wrote:

It will also be a good test if AE will even allow you to render in H.264 at that resolution; it may not.

You can render any size comp out of AE but encoding/exporting is a different situation. Render your movies out of After Effects and then bring them into Apple's Compressor or Adobe Media Encoder or whatever encoder you have. Some codecs have specific and unalterable preset sizes.

Your client's ignorance about movie playback is going to be a problem. They may or may not have the capacity to learn anything.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points