• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1

New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1, from the 7.1 setup file I downloaded, I get the error:

"Update failed

Updates could not be applied

This patch is not applicable for you. Please check for updates from the help menu in your product to see a list of latest updates available."

If I go to help in Photoshop CS5 and click on updates, it says that all of my programs are up to date, but Camera Raw is still 6.7. It absolutely refuses to update to 7.1

I just traded in my Nikon D3100 for a Nikon D3200 and 6.7 does not support it, but 7.1 does, so I REALLY need it to upgrade because I like to shoot in RAW.

Please help????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just traded in my Nikon D3100 for a Nikon D3200 and 6.7 does not support it, but 7.1 does, so I REALLY need it to upgrade because I like to shoot in RAW.

Yes. You need to upgrade. Upgraded hardware frequently causes people to purchase updated software. Just like updated software frequently causes people to purchase updated hardware. There is a price to be paid for owning the latest and greatest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I have to pay to upgrade from 6.7 to 7.1? Seriously? Do you know how much? Geez, I just bought CS5 not too long ago now I have to pay to get an update to Camera Raw, really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Camera RAW forum.  You may want to look into converting your RAW images to DNG files.  You can then open the DNG files in older software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to pay, but you will have to go through a few extra steps to use the free DNG converter package.  Basically it works like this:  You convert your D3200 images to DNG files, then Photoshop CS5 can open the DNG files.  You get all the features you always had in your Photoshop CS5 package.

Or you can pay and have the utmost in convenience and latest in conversion technology - files will just open right up in Camera Raw 7 on Photoshop CS6.

How much did your camera cost?  Did it not occur to you that maybe you want to pay a little for a new photo editor to go with it?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Noel, that is why I bought CS5. Where do I pay for Camera Raw updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharity84078 wrote:

Where do I pay for Camera Raw updates?

You pay to upgrade to Photoshop CS6, that's how you get ACR 7.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! I guess I'll be using DNG instead 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharity84078 wrote:

Great! I guess I'll be using DNG instead 😞

Did you look into the free upgrade thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I called them, and after getting to the right person, since they only support the latest version, I cannot update Camera Raw to 7.1 without purchasing CS6! Which I understand the concept of why they only support the latest version, but I think they need to support the lastest 2-3 versions cause I just purchased CS5.5 Design Premium on 1/16/2012, that's just a little over 4 months ago, so for me to go out and but CS6 is just ridiculous! Had I not upgraded my camera, I wouldn't have this issue right now. But, the last guy told me that if I download the trial of CS6, that Camera Raw & DNG converter are free plugins and "maybe" after uninstalling the trial I could continue to use those plugins with CS5. I don't even have DNG converter installed, and even if I did, it also would not support my camera without updrading it to 7.1, which I would also need to upgrade to CS6 in order to do. So if the trial/plugin thing doesn't work, I am screwed. I am so frustrated and mad at Adobe right now you can see the smoke coming out of my head. I don't think it's fair that they do this to customers who pay that much $ for thier software. & then they had the nerve to blame it on me buying the new camera! Whatever!

So, I hope this works, I guess we'll see.

Thanks for everyone's help! I appreciate you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG converter is a stand-alone application. Version 7.1 will work irrespective of Photoshop version.

The DNGs can then be opened through ACR 6.7 in Photoshop CS5. You'll be no worse off than you were with the D3100.

You'll find it >here< (Win) or >here< (Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW blame Nikon in this case. It wouldn't cost them a calorie to support the openly specified DNG format, which is the only thing with potential as a universal standard format. Leica does it, and a very few others. Then all of this would have been a non-issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharity84078, as D Fosse wrote, you can edit your RAW files in CS5 after convering them to DNG's using the DNG Converter, which is a free, stand-alone application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, all the other products in the world are supported and updated for free, it is ridiculous that after less than a year we lost support and maintenance updates for CS5.5, it is normal to get a new camera and adobe software should supported it until the dead of that particular version IS CS5.5 DEAD,  common.

I had a canon t2i camera shouting raw files; I bought the "best" media edition tools in the world (ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 5.5. PRODUCTION PREMIUM') because I was motivated by their amazing features.

Now, I bought a canon t4i camera for 850 USD, now I have to pay and UPGRADE to CS6 paying another 450 USD, to get CAMERA RAW 7.1 to support my new camera???? Ridiculous.

I am totally piss off, I don’t need the extra  features from CS6 just the CAMERA RAW SUPPORT FOR MY CAMERA, I notice Canon 5D Mark III is supported by Camera Raw 6.7 same should apply for new cameras or

Adobe should publish a letter declaring CS5.5 DEAD and wipe everything related with that version from their site.

It is like the auto industry doesn’t bring support to car models 2011 or behind; you cannot use these new tires.

What is the real deal here is the RAW format from t4i totally different  than the 5d mark II or IDX supported cameras or is it just a filter list in order to force people to gent CS6.

Oracle corporation and many other companies support their software for more than 10 years It doesn’t matter if the hardware change.

Rip-off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPpulido, sorry to hear your frustration.  No, it's not just a filter list, and yes, camera manufacturers change stuff. 

You're not forced, however, to upgrade if you don't want to.  Adobe provide a free DNG converter which makes your new camera files compatible with much older versions of Photoshop, as well as CS5.  You'll find the download links here: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html#downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria for your answer and for the workaround,

But If RAW files are not an standard, sure canon provided the most recent RAW format specification to Adobe, because you already implemented in Camera Raw 7.1.

The question is why you (Adobe) don’t permit use the 7.1 version to CS5 and CS5.5 owners.

It is not a technical limitation I think it is a commercial decision. (Not fare at all for all your customers who wants to update their cameras).

Sure I am not forced to upgrade, but it is a shame that my OLD software CS5.5 software don’t support the current RAW files specification. CS5.5 It is NOW OBSOLETE. Not supported, not upgradable (at least from the RAW perspective.

Should we avoid shoot RAW to use CS5.5. or use the proposal work around. What a shame.

Regards,

Marco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPpulido wrote:

...sure canon provided the most recent RAW format specification to Adobe...

Hah!  One would think that would be the case, but it's not.  Neither Canon nor Nikon shares any details with Adobe, like, for instance, Pentax does.  Adobe engineers have to get their hands on each camera model, test them and develop their own profiles.

The DNG Converter is free.  It's not reasonable to expect Adobe to provide a plug-in for non-supported versions of Photoshop.  What is reasonable is to expect prospective camera buyers to make sure their camera is supported by their software of choice before paying for the camera.

You could also pressure Canon to support the DNG format in-camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Canon owners DON’T BUY ADOBE PRODUCTS, be aware than Adobe will not support your future camera models, you have to upgrade your adobe software EVERY YEAR, because in less than a year your Adobe products will become OBSOLETE and no support or updates will be available to use your new cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe policy is to provide free updates for currently shipping products. The current version of Photoshop is CS6, the current Camera Raw is 7.1.

Providing backwards compatibility of older software with newer versions of Camera Raw is a major technical problem. Camera Raw is a plug-in with dependancies on the host version of Photoshop's SDK. Camera Raw 7.x is designed to use the CS6 SDK. Photoshop CS6 has different platform requirements than Photoshop CS5 had. So, trying to force fit Camera Raw 7.x to work in Photoshop CS5 would require a code branch of the Camera Raw code that would substantially complicate future development–meaning it would put a major dent in the development resources that Adobe could apply to future updates–a bad thing for current customers. Personally, as a CS6 user, I would not like that at all.

Adobe provides backwards compatibility for new cameras in old versions of Photoshop for free. Yes, it's an additional step but one that only costs a bit of time on your part. The free DNG Converter is capable of producing DNGs that are compatible back to Camera Raw 2.4 in Photoshop CS...and again, this is free and something that Adobe didn't HAVE to do...

You want new cameras to be supported in older software–fact is these new cameras produce new raw file formats that are proprietary and undocumented–it takes a lot of work o decode new formats. This problem is a direct result of the failure of the camera companies to adopt a raw file format standard that would eliminate the need for new camera format decoding...you are perfectly happy buying a new camera that creates a new, un-compatible raw format and blame only Adobe for failing to upgrade old software? Your expectations are unrealistic and you are trying to place blame on the wrong party, it's the camera company's who are at fault for not adhering to some sort of standard that would free users of the problems they face now. Blame the company that sold you the camera that is not compatible with your software...it ain't Adobe's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly the point, how is possible to consider a software OLD and OBSOLETE and UNSUPPORTED if the software ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 5.5 PRODUCTION PREMIUM, was sold DIRECTLY by ADOBE, 9 months ago. It is not unrealistic it is a rip-off.

That specifically is my complaint, I understand the technical difficulties, I am a software developer, but also I understand that the RAW support could be implemented in the CS5 plugging too, without the new SDK paraphernalia, As adobe implemented in the “free DNG Converter”

My intention is not blame Adobe, It is to let people now what will happen with Adobes’s products in the future, when people upgrade their CANON cameras:

YOU HAVE TO PAY THE UPGRATE TO NEW RELEASE TO CONTINUE USING YOUR CURRENT CAMERA FEATURES OR DON’T SHOOT RAW or user the Adobe’ work around.

I think everybody understood this situation, I also understood your point, I respect it, but I don’t agree.

Regards,

Marco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marco, is there some problem with upgrading Photoshop to each new release?  I'm not seeing it.

You make the assumption that there's no new functionality that brings value to the upgrade.

Why did you buy a new camera?  Are you thinking that new hardware is worth buying, but new software is not for some reason?

And there is always the free DNG converter solution, allowing you to use any new model camera with just about any old version of Photoshop's Camera Raw.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I just bounced over from the general discussions forum.  I downloaded the standalone DNG converter...and guess what?  It does not see the .CR2 files from the Canon T4i.  In all honesty, had I known the 6.7 update would not have handled the T4i, I would have selected the "convert to DNG" upon downloading from the SD card.  It simply never occurred to me that Adobe wouldn't keep up with it, CS5 Extended is not that old.  As I have never had such a thing happen, I did my usual and deleted the files from the card.  Then, thinking it might be a card issue and not an Adobe issue, I reformatted that card.  Now, surely enough I can move the files BACK to the card and then import them again in Bridge, using the option to convert.  But be aware that the standalone DNG converter is NOT seeing these files.

This is really something everyone should be aware of.

I will switch to CS6, just not at the moment...unless I have no other choice.  It isn't so much the cost of the software as it is the tremendous amounts of files that are never quite cleared up, all the plug-ins, etc.

I will let you know how the operation of moving the files back to the card and then importing them again goes.  I have to switch to the tower to do that.  BB in a bit.

Indy

Update:  This is referring to the Canon T4i only:

1.  The Adobe Standalone DNG converter does NOT recognize, see, the .CR2 files created by the T4i at all, therefore it cannot convert what it does not see.

2.  After moving the files from my computer back into the original folder on the SD card for that camera and importing them again via Bridge and choosing the "convert to DNG" option...the converter informed me that it failed for all 65 files.

So in otherwords, I am forced to upgrade now whether I wanted to or not.

Message was edited by: IndyMcDuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of the DNG converter did you download?  For THAT application you need the very latest version, 7.1. 

It's Camera Raw 6 that's locked to Photoshop CS5.  You always want the latest DNG converter.  It embodies the latest knowledge of cameras and produces a file that the older versions of Photoshop can open.

Yes, it's confusing, but I believe you'll be able to get there from here.  And since you've bought a new camera, I know funds may be short, but it's worth getting Photoshop CS6 for the quite significant improvements they've made in the raw conversion algorithms.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that.  It appears T4i support is not yet in the DNG Converter 7.1.  This is the first I've heard of a difference in camera support between Camera Raw and DNG converter of the same version.

Adobe sure does make this confusing, don't they?

Be patient.  They release a new version every 3 months or so, and your camera is no doubt going to be in it.

Blame Canon on the delays.  They both make new formats for every new camera, and they do NOT share the specifications, so the Adobe folks are saddled with reverse-engineering each new camera's output.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines