Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4.1 will not install

May 30, 2012 5:37 AM

Tags: #install #windows #7 #lightroom4

Anyone having trouble installing the new lightroom 4.1? I keep getting and error that I do not have sufficient space or privlidges. I do have plenty of space and privlidges. I have tried this on Windows 7 Pro and windows 7 home. I have also tried to run the install as Administrator.

Suggestions for resolving? I have never had problems with a Lightroom install.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

I have exacly the same problem. There is an error during extraction telling me that I don't have permissions or disk space. Tried on two different Win7 computers.

Never had this problem before.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to OleODK

That is very weird.  Installing is simple.

1. Open your Light­room 4 and when the soft­ware update dia­log pops up click “down­load.” This will take you to Adobe’s down­load page

2. Click on “pro­ceed to down­load” and “down­load now.”

3. Save the file to the desk­top (so it is eas­ier to find it). The down­load should take about 3 min­utes or less.

4. Dou­ble click on the installer, fol­low the step-by-step instructions.

If this does not work, I would unistall altogether, and try again from the Adobe Lightroom update dialogue box.  Hope this helps.

For more instructions and to find out the latest features of Lightroom 4.1, check out www.eduardoangel.com or specifically, this article

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to macuser88

If they're getting extraction errors from the installer, surely they are already past the point of downloading and double-clicking on the installer?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to koreth2

Yes I downloaded without problems. It's during (or rather at the end of) extraction that the problem appears.

BTW, both the machines I have tried it on runs Win7 64-bit. One of them have LR4.0 installed and the other one does not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to OleODK

I somehow solved the problem - in a wierd way though:

I installed LR4.0 on the machine without LR.

Then I could install LR4.1 on that machine.

Then I copied the extracted install folders from that machine to the machine which already had LR4.0

And then I installed LR4.1 on that machine.

Now I only have to remove LR from the machine where I don't need it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to macuser88

Went through the process five times. Each time it got a bit further. Finally installed. Wish I had never started.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

I too am unable to get the install to work.  When it extracts the files, it reports t I do not have sufficient space or privlidges. It built the 32 bit installer, but not the 64 bit install image.  I tried another disk and I tried running it with Admin priv.  Neither works.  This seems to be a common problem,  I am running the latest version of Win 7.  This failure is early in the installation process and seems to be a bug in Adobe's installer.  I need LR 4.1 for my new camera.   As I looked through the replies, nobody had any good idea what the problem. is. 

This is an Adobe Bug!

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

Win 7 64 bit installer failed for me too. No error message or anything.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

does extraction finish successfully? if not, you can try to unzip it by 7-zip. PS: the downloaded Lightroom_4_LS11.exe is a self-zipped package.

once unzip this exe, you can try to install from unzipped folder, just double click the setup32.exe or setup64.exe

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Stone.Pan

If it's the same problem I described in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1013965?tstart=30, the "extraction" in question is the installer itself (setup64.exe) extracting the .msi file into a temp directory, not the extraction of the installer from the zip file. I posted some technical details in that thread based on poking around with a debugging tool -- it turns out the actual extraction is finishing fine and things are dying right after that -- but I still don't know how to make the install work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 8:57 PM   in reply to koreth2

No problems on two machines. Someone who was having problems, saw skies clear from stormy to gorgeous blue after installing SP1 on his Win7 PC.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:48 PM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

I installed V4.1 last night over V4.0 using the download link and I didn't have any problems. I have Win7 64-bit with 12G RAM. Everything seems to be running as before. I used my personal login which is also administrator priviledge.

Regards, David.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to Al Siegel

I just tried it on a second computer, my laptop, and got the same results, it did not install.  Both systems running 64bit Win 7.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to Al Siegel

Al Siegel wrote:

I just tried it on a second computer, my laptop, and got the same results, it did not install.  Both systems running 64bit Win 7.

OK, but did you check whether you have Service Pack 1 installed? Control Panel...System

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 10:33 PM   in reply to Al Siegel

Before installation, please make sure you download the correct binary, please get MD5 code of Lightroom_4_LS11_wind_4_1.exe,  it should be    1B103D2593D3CCEF3E66D1A3C43BE381       ,  I used ChaosMD5 version 2.5.002 to get that MD5 code.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 10:38 PM   in reply to Baichao Li

Huh? Please translate to English for regular, non-technical users.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to Larry C

1. download free software ChaosMD5 from http://www.elgorithms.com/downloads/chaosmd5.php

2. then extract , and run ChaosMD5v2.5.exe

3. Select "File", then browse to "Lightroom_4_LS11_win_4_1.exe", and click "Generate MD5" button.

4. when precessing done, you will get a MD5 code,

If the code you get is 1B103D2593D3CCEF3E66D1A3C43BE381 , you get the correct Lr 4.1 binary, otherwise, there might be something wrong during downloading. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to Baichao Li

Okay, thank you. That makes sense. But, what should we do if the binary is in fact correct and LR4.1 still does not install and does not provide any error message?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to Larry C

Chris_Tribble found that Anti-Virus protection might cause this problem, please refer to

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4453029#4453029

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Larry C

Have you tried uninstalling 4.0 before installing 4.1? You shouldn't have to, I'm just wondering if that helps. We didn't make any changes to the installer other than adding the ability to upgrade prior builds, so I'm stumped as to what's going on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to Julie Kmoch

Thanks for the reply, Julie. I may just have to get a refund if you're out of ideas.

I waited for 4.1 before upgrading from 3.6 hoping to avoid issues, so nothing to uninstall. I am not willing to uninstall 3.6 as that would completely stop my workflow.

Someone said something about fixing Win 7 but it was unclear and they used some random third party utility which seems a little risky. I would think that even if this is a Microsoft issue, you'd have a database of potential pitfalls that users have encountered. (Perhaps even better than MSFT themselves, but only if someone at Adobe felt it was worth the effort.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Larry C

Larry (and others having problems) -- have you ensured you have Service Pack 1 installed on you Win 7 64-bit PCs?

Control Panel --> System and Security --> System

Again, I'm 2-for-2 on successful installations. Both machines had LR4 installed. Both have SP1 at the time of installation. No problem whatsoever.

A friend of mine who was having issues with the 4.1 install was able to successfully install after installing SP1.

And to the Adobe team: if indeed you find out there's a Win7 SP1 dependency, please update your system requirements to say so.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to eswrite

I've had SP1 installed since it was released in February of last year.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to eswrite

eswrite,

Yes, I read your post elsewhere and checked that; thanks. Yes I have every update since my machine was custom built by Puget Systems over a year ago. And FWIW, I turned off MS defender, real time protection, etc. I don't have other protection or a lot of widgets or anything because this machine is intended to be "clean" so as to avoid time-sucking issues.

Thanks for the idea, though. I appreciate this resource/community.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

I too was having problem on a WIN7 machine using Chrome... when I downloaded using IE9 the download happened and installed with no errors.  Up and running now.  Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to vtfotopro

Thanks, vtfotopro. Tried that. "No dice."

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 9:16 PM   in reply to Larry C

Thanks to koreth2 and hbouk, installation successful but the process is unbelievable (manual file intervention during the install required). See this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1013965?tstart=30

Thanks again, koreth2.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Larry C

I had the same problem: running the installer stopped during extracting of the setup32 file.

I downloaded the file on a Windows Vista computer with antivirus both on and off, but it kept showing an error of insufficient disk space and or privileges after about 6%.

I tried running the installer on a Win XP netbook, just to have the files extracted: same problem.

Today I re-downloaded from (and extracted to) another Win XP computer, and it all went OK. I now have a setup32 and setup64 file.

So tonight I'll try to install 4.1 on my Vista PC.

I'll keep you posted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to MarcoKlompalberts

Got it installed! For some reason, u have to download it with the Internet Explorer. I tried about 8 times by using firefox and it never worked. Problems exactly as described in here. Download with IE. No more a problem. good luck!.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

Had the same issue, ended up reinstalling LR4 and that worked, thankfully i's an easy install.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to PatrickB

Just installed 4.1 without any further problems.

Looks like my problem was solved downloading (and extracting) it on another computer.

By the way, in all the attempts I used Google Chrome to download...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to Baichao Li

what are you talking about?

Your Win7 64bit installer does not work period.  I tried to get ligtroom4 trial version and it failed.  I went out an bought LR4 and the CD installed fine.

I get the same problem everybody here has.  I download 4.1 fine. then when it upzip the file, it said there is an error. not enough space...and it stop.  I opened the folder and 32bit is 365,757 kb and the 64bit is just 64,453 kb.  32 bit will install, the small 64bit will not.  Why do we have to download 32 and 64bit.  Most people have 64bit now, break up the download. 

So why do I have this problem that Adobe can't fix?  I try unzipping it on both my laptop and PC and they have 64bit error. Fix this problem now and stop making excuses. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to camerarchitect

I was under the impresion that LR 4.x could ONLY be 64 bit.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jun 9, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to vtfotopro

The Mac version's 64-bit only.  Windows is still both.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

I had the same installation problem with Windows 7 64bit. It would download fine (with whatever browser), it would extract the installer fine, but once you agree to the software T's & C's it would just freeze before the first part of the installation. I solved this by using the administrator account in safe mode. For a tutorial on how to set up administrator account go to http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-e nable-disable.html, but the basics are open a command prompt as administrator and type net user administrator /active:yes, then just log off your account, log in as administrator, run the install program and enjoy. I suspect the problem is with installation permissions, and that safe mode wasnt necessary, but I didn't want to reboot 15 times to find out.

Good luck, and remember to turn off the administrator account with net user administrator /active:no

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 7:27 PM   in reply to Julie Kmoch

I am still having problems installing (more like unzipping).  Your tech people blows.  This is the worst installer I ever encountered since window98.  Not only does adobe not understand that it's zipping is terrible.  One, just give me the 64bits so yu don't have to zip and downlaod such a large file.  This downloader will unzip the 32bit and never the 64bit.  I spent 80mins on the phone with tech, they remote view/control my laptop.  They can't not figured out what is the problem is.  Even logged into administrator.  They decided to just hang up at 7:00pm and go home.  They blamed the security on the computer manufacture.  What, I have two computers, a vista 64 bit and 7 64 bit and I can't unzipp this file correctly.  Somehow my Adobe cs5.5 update fine for a year, my adobe flash which wants to update like every week is fine.  Nikon ViewNX updates fine, every other software updates just fine, not Lightroom4.

Adobe got to have better customer tech service then this.  They mononoplized the editing world and now make people pay for subscribion.  That is a lot of cash so where is my tech service, they just want to leave at 7pm and hang up.  Why asked for a call back number and not call back.  All the adobe employee posts here are useless, nothing worked, basic informations.

lr4error.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 11:32 PM   in reply to RogerDeanSmith

i purchased the full version of LR4, i downloaded the applicaton, but for some reson i cant install it, i keep getting an unknown error messege, cannot begin to describe how annoyed i am at this point and not to menton, 160$ that feel like i threw them down the drain....i currently run LR3.6 could it be that??...or does it even make a difference?...someone!??....

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 6, 2012 2:20 AM   in reply to kstyle13

You could start by telling us your operating system.  I'm sure you checked the system specs before ordering, but just in case, here they are:

Windows

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
    • Microsoft® Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2 or Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1
    • 2GB of RAM
    • 1GB of available hard-disk space
    • 1024x768 display
    • DVD-ROM drive
    • Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

Mac OS

• Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
    • Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7
    • 2GB of RAM
    • 1GB of available hard-disk space
    • 1024x768 display
    • DVD-ROM drive