Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I organize 19,000 pictures?

May 30, 2012 7:45 PM

Hello,

I’m trying to organize all my files in lightroom 4.0 and my computer.

Lightroom aside, the way I have my photos organized are like this. Follow along with the photo please!

In the My Pictures folder I have a few folders for each year. You open up a year, like 2011 and it opens up each photo session I did. For example if I went to the beach on March 25 I would make a folder titled March 25, Beach Shoot. Inside that folder would be all of my pictures from the beach.

Well in lightroom I imported everything and it all shows up as various folders. There are no years, all the years are crammed into one section in the module. The folders section under my C drive.

Its really hard to find certain photos from shoots. I dont care to look through shoots from 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 when I went on a shoot yesterday, in 2012.

What is the best way to organize all my pictures from various years? How do others do this? I bought a Lynda membership for their video lessons and took a 5 hour course on how to organize Lightroom and the guy in the video was dealing with like 150 shots. I’m dealing with almost 20,000.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1514/organizeru.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to minneola24

You didn't import right.  Fortunately, all you have to do is right-click a date and hit "show parent folder" for each year and you're good to go.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to minneola24

People organize by date, by hierarchy, by metadata like keywords, by collection, etc.  There are as many ways as there are people using it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to minneola24

minneola24 wrote:

Yes, but in folders I mean. Each shoot by date in a folder?

I organize by a hierarchy, with each shoot in its own folder.  Organizing by date seems redundant to me since the dates are in the EXIF information anyway.  However, many people recommend that approach for reasons I don't understand.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to minneola24

minneola24 wrote:

Yes, but in folders I mean. Each shoot by date in a folder?

Yes, your date-based folders are ideal. I would question using the full name first though - it means December comes before February. YYYYMMDD is better as each folder should clearly record its complete date and this helps you if you mistakenly drag a folder into the wrong year. Commas and other non-alphabetically characters should be avoided too. But dates are the best way.

Put aside the word "organize" - it means too many things. Think of folders purely in terms of storage, backup, recovery. Use metadata like keywords for categorizing or grouping pictures.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points