Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you make a .ico file in Photoshop CS6?

May 29, 2012 5:19 AM

Tags: #plugins #cs6 #ico #favicon #.ico

I used to use a plugin in previous versions, but the file formats sub-directory is missing from the plugins directory. See screenshot :

Surely this should be possible in CS6 (extended even) straight out of the box given that every web developer on the planet needs to make loads of these ...

2012-05-29_1313.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Marltutski

Where is this in OSX?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to olliefordandco

For OSX just place your "ICOFormat.plugin" file in the folder here: Adobe Photoshop CS6 / Plug-Ins  Then restart PS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to waltwinchel

That's great. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to waltwinchel

This did not work for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to Marltutski

This is not an answer to this question.

I have put an .ICO plugin into the panels folder under plugins in CS6 for OSX 10.8 and it is not registering. How do you get this plugin to work?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 30, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to kastnick

Kastnick, what plug-in did you put there?  Is it 64 bit Photoshop CS6-compatible?

Maybe I didn't write it plainly enough:

For Macintosh, Photoshop CS6 can only use 64 bit plug-ins.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Snarky details don't help people. You still didn't provide an answer. Where can I get a 64 bit CS6 plug-in for .ICO? Based on my web research, one doesn't exist yet, which means if you upgrade to CS6, you cannot create favicons.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 30, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to kastnick

For Mac users that may well be true.  Where is it written that every question must have a positive answer?

My response was not snarky, it answered your specific question.  Snarky would be to tell you to go get a PC, where compatibility with older software is more highly prized and expected, but I didn't do that.

Just so it's clear, I'm just another Photoshop user.  Honestly, if I knew of a source for 64 bit icon format plug-ins for you I'd point you to it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Does this one work in CS6 64 on a Mac?  Under the link for Mac CS5 it says Mac CS5, CS6, so maybe it will:

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat#icoformat

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to ssprengel

That was the one I used and it didn't take. I put it under the panels folder in plugins.

I looked around for another folder to put it in, but none seemed fitting.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to kastnick

I’m a PC person so can’t look inside the DMG file.  Is there an explicitly 64-bit version of the Mac CS5 plug-in in it or not?

You might try to contact the plug-in author using the Help link next to the download link and see if they respond and can confirm the plug-in works with CS6 as suggested by the download link caption, but nowhere else.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to kastnick

I put it in the plug-ins folder (up one level from the panels) and it worked... (on a Mac OSX 10.7.  I did have to restart Photoshop for it to take effect.)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to kastnick

I have Mac OS X 10.8+ and just downloaded CS6. I added that file format plugin to the plugins folder and was able to get it to work. I was also able to get it to work if I nested it in the plugins folder under another folder named File Formats. Remember, it won't show these file formats if the SIZE is too big. I believe it has to be under 260px X 260px (recommended 64x64 or smaller) in order to be a favicon img... or something close to that. Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to Marltutski

I need a link to an actual free ICO plugin to be able to install!

I tried this one but it seems a dud.

Help

http://download.cnet.com/Icon-Plugin-for-PhotoShop/3000-2195_4-1058785 8.html - did not work

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to Tyler N.

Tyler's correct. Works on 10.6.8 and CS6, too - but 256px * 256px is the limit. you won't be able to use any bigger size as an icon in windows, anyways. Simply put http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat#icoformat in the plug-ins folder within the Adobe Photoshop CS6 folder…

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to ludwig.

Thanks Ludwig, I am running CS6 on XP Pro SP3, followed the http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat#icoformat link you provided, downloaded the proper file for my comp, actually read the installation directions, and had my first ICO file created and up on my site in less than 5 minutes. Thanks for the help!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Marltutski

Guys... It's right you should put it in Plug-ins folder which is directly under Photoshop CS6 folder. If it didn't show up just restart photoshop while holding ctrl+alt+shift and that will set Photoshop preferences and you will see the option "ICO (Windows Icon) (*.ICO)" under "save to".

Note: you must have a square image with maximum 256*256 resolution to see it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to Marltutski

Third party plugins should NOT be in the required folder.

That's what the normal plugins folder is for.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 5:52 PM   in reply to Marltutski

Edited:

I downloaded the latest plugin for Mac CS5 from http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat

and it works fine in Mac PS CS5.1 and CS6. (I must have been using an older plugin earlier.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to Marltutski

It works if you just put it in the Plugins folder.

Windows Photoshop CS6

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 1:01 AM   in reply to Marltutski

You only have to set the picture to 8 Bit mode!

In 16 or 32 Bit it won't work and you won't be able to see the save option.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to Zweizunull

You can also just Save to Web as an 8-bit PNG file, then rename the file extension to ".ico"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to Marltutski

For people who still can not get it to work: you have to convert to RGB color, otherwise you won't see the .ico in the save list.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points