Skip navigation
Lensco
Currently Being Moderated

Save for web fails when using a space in the filename

May 30, 2012 5:08 AM

Tags: #bug #cs6 #save_for_web

Is it me or is 'save for web' totally broken in Illustrator CS6, when saving a file with a space in the filename? First it says the file already exists (whether or not this is the case) and when I click 'replace' it just doesn't do anything. Tried with different files, even after relaunching Illustrator.

WUT??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to Lensco

It might be only you.  Here on Win7 x64, using the 64-bit AI CS6, when I specify "space name.png" SFW creates a "space-name.png" file.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to photodrawken

On the mac it places a hyphen as well and saves it just fine.

The reason it puts the hyphen is because it is saved for the web and a space on the web won't work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 2:43 AM   in reply to Lensco

Like Wade says, it is not good practice to use spaces in file names for the web.

In fact one should avoid spaces in all file (and folder) names. They can amongst other things lead to confusion between mismatched operating systems.

I have even seen a space in a folder name render the enclosed Illustrator file unreadable.

Not sure why it was but it had something to do with the addressing of linked image files. As soon as we altered the folder name and adjusted the links, everything returned to normal.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Lensco

Have it as you will and get into trouble if you want to. You have been warned :-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Lensco

I think that the point is, 2012 or not, what you want to do is still not a best practice. That Adobe evidently is attempting to enforce something about best practices doesn't bother me a bit.

So save it out using a best practices name and change the name to suit.

Good luck, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to MW Design

That Adobe evidently is attempting to enforce something about best practices doesn't bother me a bit.

I don't think Adobe is trying to enforce anything. It's just that spaces in file and folder names CAN cause trouble. It doesn't always happen and you may get away with using them, but by doing so you appear to be running a certain risk.

I have been in the business for more years than I care to remember and have seen errors that could be traced to spaces maybe a couple of times since OS X.

More common are file name errors caused by obscure glyphs. ð, þ, æ, ö and accented characters, especially ý, are the most common culprits in my neck of the woods.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Steve, if you use any of these characters in your file name, does Illustrator fix them as well?

If it does, using what algorithm? If it does not, does it do *anything* else to "protect" users from creating bad filenames?

I think Lensco has a valid point here. To err is human -- Lensco should be allowed to save his images with a Bad Name.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

I just tried saving a filed called "ýþæöð asdfgh.png". Illie doesn't do anything other than I asked her to do.

However I doubt that such a file would be useable on a web page.

I also discovered recently that files with an asterix (*) in their names are not accepted by some servers.

The files can be inserted as images but somehow don't show up.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:25 PM   in reply to Lensco

Lensco wrote:

but people use the SFW feature for much more than just the web.

My point, exactly, made several days ago in another discussion thread....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

I think that may have been "best practices" in the ancient days of computing, but as the OP said, we're now well into the second decade of the Twenty-first Century and computers can handle spaces.  I'm not sure, but I think IIS has been handling spaces in filenames for a long time.

The best thing to do is test it with the Web server you're using.

If Adobe products can't handle linked files with paths having spaces in them, then it's high time Adobe fixes that, and it should be reported as a bug.  (All it takes is changing the code to add double-quotes around the fully-qualified path.)

I still hate SFW changing my file naming convention to suit itself.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:31 PM   in reply to photodrawken

I'll try to explain this bu it may go by you.

The feature is to Save for the Web. If Adobe offers a feature and users are using the feture for other things that is fine as long as it works for the user.

But is Adobe responsible to a user who is using a feature in a way it is not intended to be used. The answer is no. they are not responsible it is not intended to be used that way.

The thing then but you want them to be responsible for your deeds when they are not.

Now on the other hand if you have a legitimate feature request for such a feature design for other purposes or you wish them to expand on such a feature you can easily make a feature request.

Of course Adobe might come back on this one and tell you to purchase a suite that included Fireworks for instance which cn save a file optimized and with a space in the name. And you can copy and paste or from AI or you canopen an ai file in fireworks.

Now you may disagree but I wonder if it will do ou any good.

If I were you and saw a need I would file a feature request.

It has worked for me many times over the years so I think it could work for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:10 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Well, Adobe forces one to use "Save For Web" in order to acces a whole lot of options, such as specific file formats, sizes, etc., all of which are useful even if the final resting place of the image is not on the Web.  SFW is the only place to do that.

I'm not even sure what Ai's "Export" uses for PNG.  Is it PNG-8 or PNG-24?

Are you saying that if Adobe simply duplicated everything in SFW and included the feature by naming it "Save With Options", that's the only way they should allow saving a filename with spaces?

And how does Photoshop CS6 handle this?  Does its SFW automatically remove spaces in the filename?

Added:

I just re-read your post -- are you saying that Fireworks SFW keeps the spaces in the filenames?  Or does Fireworks simply use the SFW interface but merely re-labels the function something like "Save Optimized"?

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Lensco

Depends on the web server as to why spaces in filenames may or may not work. Though this works on more servers nowadays, would urge you not to run that risk or use colons or backslashes in filenames. When Mac OSX first came out the popular  "• filenames" made bullet named files invisible, or if you logged back in OS9.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to photodrawken

Here are 2 contemporary examples where having spaces or special characters in a filename results in an error:

- images or links used in Constant Contact emails, where the image or link is tracked

- images used in the MODX Content Management System

In both these cases, it's a bit of an oversight on behalf of the developer, but regardless, the problem only shows up when the filenames fall outside these (older) best practices.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points