• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is FM10 crashing when I change conditional text settings?

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go from "show certain conditions" to "show all" in some, but not all, files in a book, FM 10 crashes.

I've tried saving as MIF, then reopening, but it still happens eventually.

Sometimes it happens with the first file I open, sometimes not until after several files have been opened and

had their conditions changed, so it doesn't seem like a memory leak.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of FM10? The latest release is 10.0.2.419.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's what I have installed. 10.0.2.419. I checked for updates already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's really annoying about this is that I NEVER had crashes with these same files in FM8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I suggest a MIF wash (evidently built in on FM10).

That would eliminate certain invalid markups as the cause, like overlapping tags that aren't valid when overlapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that different from saving as MIF for FM10?

I've already tried saving as MIF, then reopening as MIF and saving as .fm, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as MIF then reopening is a MIF wash.

You've covered anything that a MIF wash would detect or fix.

Can you tell us more about the crash?

Does Frame detect a problem, generate recovery files, and shut down? What console message?

Or does it start that process, go off the rails, and leave lock files and incomplete recover files.

Or does the crash of the crash itself crash, and everything just winks out (which I often see in FM7.1, although not Condition related)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened again, and I was just adding some conditions to a previously stable file.

First I got this message:

Internal Error 10024, 7687848, 7688138, 10076935. FrameMaker has detected a serious problem and must quit.

gives the log file name and tells me to send it to fmerror@adobe.com

Then I got this message:

Adobe FrameMaker 10 has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem

(a couple of choices)

Then FM10 closed -- no recover files this time, although in the past, FM has generated .recover files.

Files have not stayed in the locked condition -- usually just .recover files are generated and FM closes.

Time to re-install FM 10 I think.

BTW, I'm running Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error yesterday too on the same version - I think it didn't like toggling a condition on/off without getting out of the pane and saving between operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's pretty unacceptable behavior, wouldn't you say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way @scaton, Internal Error 10024 means the app is FrameMaker 10 (the remaining digits partially referring to the patch/build number). Nothing more. Other error codes are a mystery. Adobe has not seen fit to publish the obscure meanings of FM error codes. I read this somewhere online (maybe elsewhere in this forum), but forget who was the author.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the info.

BTW, after I removed Frame 8 from my system and re-installed FM10, I didn't

have the problem any more. And I have LOTS of conditions in my files.

Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suzanne,

The HP laptops do not have any other FM version installed. Only FM10. The home machine (running WinVista 32-bit) mentioned above does have FM8 installed as well yet I was able to Update Book successfully for the same heavily conditioned project. So, the prescence of another FM is not relevant in my case. It may be an issue in other circumstances; however, optimistically I assume Adobe would suggest users uninstall old versions or the new version would do that automatically upon installation if conflicts were anticipated by their engineers/testers.

You may have achieved something accidently either by virtue of the FM8 removal or the FM10 uninstall/re-install. From experience, I think there are a variety of reasons FM misbehaves and gives up the ghost. IMO, it would be better for users to have some idea what is giving FM grief, instead of useless, cryptic error message coughed up by the software. Adobe: Are you listening?

I am sticking with the theory outlined above for chronic crashes here. For sure, conditional content has something to do with it but only in certain circumstances (hardware, software, services, conflicts, memory allocation, alignment of the planets, etc.).

In the response I got from an Adobe engineer, they allegedly did test FM10 versus Win7 and 64-bit mode. According to Adobe, Win7 64-bit is a supported platform. However, I am not convinced they tested on a variety of machines (e.g. Lenovo or HP laptops).

All the same, it must be a relief that your situation is resolved. I wish mine was...

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to us as well, and has been persistent since Frame 9. One thing to try (if you're desperate, and we sure have been), is to break the problem file into smaller pieces to isolate the problem. For example, save the first half of the chapter as one file, and the second half as another -- repeat until you isolate or resolve. It seems to have something to do with conditionalized cross references, but we've never been able to fully resolve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have resolved the issue for myself -- I removed FM8 from my

system, removed FM 10, and then re-installed only FM 10. Since doing that,

I have not had the crashes. I had been running both FM8 and FM10 -- which

I think may have been the root cause.

Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution that works for us is to select the entire main text flow of the file, copy it to a blank frame file, and then save the temporary file. In the temporary file, you should be able to toggle your conditions on and off without an issue. If that works, delete the main text flow in the original file, save it in that state, and then copy the contents of the temporary file back in. Everything should be happy at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem since release, and it is frustrating to no end. I've lost count of the number of hours of productivity lost due to this bug.

Can we have an Adobe rep inform us what the status of this bug is in terms of fixes? Can we expect a patch in the near future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know how to get Adobe to pay attention to this issue?

I don't have a maintenance contract ...

Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I knew. This is a crippling problem that nullifies an essential feature of the released product. It shouldn't take a service contract for Adobe to fix major flaws like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this link - https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

the more people that report an issue, the more likely it is to get some attention

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plenty of folk have reported the issue. No sign of a solution.

BTW: TekCom = Tekscribe

The first name is from personal FM license (old profile created from home base), the second is from employer/company FM license (created recently via the office). Sorry for the confusion and redundancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been plagued by the same internal error in Frame 10.

However, I did not receive an error when:

I opened the book, opened the chapter in my book, went to Special > Conditional Text and then either selected or deselected the "Show Condition Indicator" feature.

In my case, the error seems to be limited to trying to show/hide condition indicators from within the Show/Hide Conditional Text window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

My original issue was resolved by removing FrameMaker 8 from my machine. I have not had a crash since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this issue too. I click Show/Hide Conditional Text for multiple files in any book and Internal Error 10024, 9332515, 9332572, 7278063 displays just before FM crashes. I do not see a solution in the forum. I have tried MIF wash, rebuilding books, etc. This was not happening in the same books about 10 days ago; only things that have changed on the local machine are Adobe Flash, VPN client, and Mozilla Firefox updates.

Running the latest FM10 build on Win7 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Track Changes too? I seem to remember that there was a conflict with that and Show/Hide going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines