Skip navigation
Wayne Constable
Currently Being Moderated

Legacy Text

May 22, 2012 3:38 PM

My understanding of 'Legacy Text' is text that was created in Illustrator 10 or below and it should be of type 'kLegacyTextArt'.  Any attempt at updating a legacy text frame results in the message:

"This text was created in a different version of Illustrator. Editing the text may cause some changes to your text layout. Basic formatting will not be affected. Do you want to continue?"

or for text on a path:

"This type on a path was created with a previous version of Illustrator. Click Update to update the character positioning using the new Type on a Path engine."

Am I correct so far?

We come across text frames like these from time to time and they occasioally cause us some problems when an artist doesn't notice them (if they have no reason to edit the text, they don't touch it). For example outlining causes the text to move slightly.

However when I interrogate these via a plug-in, it reports its type as kTextFrameArt making it very difficult for us to detect and update the text frames in a controlled manner.  The "Legacy Text" submenu in the Type menu is also greyed out, yet attempting to edit the text results in the first warning message. I have a number of artworks that exhibit this behaviour.

What I'm after doing is properly detecting these rogue text frames and highlighting them so that an artist can tackle each one in a controlled manner and adjusting for any movement. I'm aware of the LegacyTextConversionSuite but its functionality suggests that I need to have already identified a legacy text frame as kLegacyTextArt.

Am I missing something here or do we have some very screwed up artworks?

*Edit - CS5.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8, we haven't made the leap to Lion yet

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to Wayne Constable

I just checked, and we still look for, and automatically upgrade legacy text, so it must be possible to identify them

It looks like we're checking for kLegacyTextArt, so that is the correct thing to check. Stupid question: when a document has legacy text in it, AI pops up a dialog asking if you want to update the text immediately ('Update') or leave it for later ('OK'). If you hit Update, there won't be any legacy text, naturally. You're sure that's not happening?

Here's the code we execute to go looking layer-by-layer for legacy text:

void GetLayerLegacyText(AILayerHandle layer, AIArtSet* resultSet)

{

AIErr error = sArtSet->LayerArtSet(layer, *resultSet);

// check error

ai::int32 count = 0;

error = sArtSet->CountArtSet(*resultSet, &count);

// check error

for (ai::int32 i = (count - 1); i >= 0; i--) {

AIArtHandle art;

error =  sArtSet->IndexArtSet(*resultSet, i, &art);

// check error

short type = 0;

error = sArt->GetArtType(art, &type);

// check error

if (kLegacyTextArt != type) {

sArtSet->RemoveArtFromArtSet(*resultSet, art);

}

}

}

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Wayne Constable

The dialog I was talking about was at document open, not when you click on the legacy text. But the fact that you get that dialog suggests that they're...something. It sounds like they're not AI10 or earlier text, but something like CS1 or CS2 text. I'm not sure if there's a way to detect that.

Can you post a file with some of the text in that state? I'll take a look, see if I can spot anything. Even a file with just one piece of said text would be enough. I'm curious, becuase I've never seen this message before.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 5:59 PM   in reply to Wayne Constable

Just a heads up. I don't use extensis and am having the same exact issue.  Font and files I'd been using all year (priceless templates to my business) — suddenly as dead as if they were outlined. My thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/13897744

Still searching for answers, on deadline. Extremely concerned.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points