Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pan and zoom to create video-like effect

May 31, 2012 9:11 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Community Help

Adobe Premiere Element 10.  Still Photo pan and zoom. 

Works well with with a 16:9 aspect photo.  However, I am trying to use a photo with a 5:7 aspect ratio (picture is vertically situated) and I am not able to capture the full starting image in the initial focus frame #1.  Consequently, I am not able to perform the pan and zoom I desire.  How do I free up the frame to allow me to drag it to cover the entire image?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to sbjenks

To fill the Video Frame with a portrait oriented Still Image, you would adjust the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, but note, this will also crop some of the vertical dimension, to fit into the landscape orientation of the Video Frame. That Effect>Motion>Scale is the same one that you use for a Zoom.

With portrait oriented Still Images, there are a few other things that one can do, but it depends on the look that they want. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on one of those methods.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks Bill.  If we ever meet, I'll buy the wine!

The solution looks a little more than I was hoping for.  The Pinnacle product I moved over from was much more straight forward

on this process - though not as full featured as Adobe.  In that product, the differences in aspect ratios were automatically accounted for.  But, it is good to know that we do have some flexability with Adobe, if needed.  Perhaps this would be an area for a  future Adobe upgrade request.

While I have your ear (or eye, I should say), I am a bit annoyed how this Adobe product handles "drop-ins" into an existing Timeline.  For example, I have several clips built in my Timeline.  I click and drag a new project photo and drop it onto one of those existing timeline clips.  Instead of pushing the existing clips to the right and inserting the new photo, oftentimes Adobe will fracture the moving clip that was underneath the incoming photo, leaving two "clips" - a small ghost image fragment and the balance of the moved clip.  Additionally, if there are any music tracks below the new clip, those sometimes are also affected negatively.  Again, just for reference, in my old Pinnacle product, once I dropped a clip on top of another, the software would move all clips (and associated titles and sound tracks) to the right, allowing for the insertion of the new material.  To compensate, I now have to make sure that the red "Play" bar is located directly at the front of the Timeline clip to be moved, before I drop the new material in.  Even then, I have to adjust the spacing between the some of the clips to remove unwanted spaces.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to sbjenks

Have you tried the Pan & Zoom tool, located along the top of the Timeline panel? It's a very intuitive way to create pan and zoom motion paths, sb.

Your other issue is related to the ripple edits feature, which can be turned off as you add clips.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks Steve.

Yes, I am using the Pan and Zoom Tool above the Timeline.  As I stated, it works well on a 16:9 photo (which is the same format as the overall project), but on something like a 5 X 7 vertical photo, the the initial #1 frame created by the tool, is in the16:9 format and consequencly only covers a small part of the 5 X 7 photo. If you try to adjust the frame, it cannot be adjusted to accommodate the 5 X 7 photo size. Bill's suggested workaround will get me there, but, it adds to much to the editing task.  Based on how some of the other vendors are handling this process (Pinnacle / Avid etc.), it seems like Adobe could easily upgrade this functionality to make this work better.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to sbjenks

Actually, what I suggested is not a workaround. It is the way things are, when one has a landscape Aspect Ratio, as one has with Video, and then they wish to insert a portrait Still Image, which has a totally different Aspect Ratio into that Video Frame.

You can place the portrait Still Image in it, and Scale to Frame, which will automatically Scale that Still Image to fill the height of the Video Frame, but that will leave black borders on either side.

The method that I outlined will fill the horizontal Frame, but result in the need to crop.

If black borders are not an issue (the link that I provided, offered one method to handle those), just turn ON Scale to Frame, and PrE will do just that, but only on one dimension.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to sbjenks

There is yet another method of handling a portrait Sitll Image in a landscape video Frame, but I do not think that you will like the result.

You could adjust the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, uncheck Constrain Proportions, and adjust the Height and the Width separately. However, that will greatly distort the Still Image, but it will change its Aspect Ratio to match that of the landscape video Frame.

Take a look, but I doubt that you will like the result.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Aug 11, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am struggling with this feature.   It seems over complicated and note that a few others seem to be saying the same thing.   Specifically, I have two examples.

Firstly I would like to just pan a photo.   The photo happens to be portrait and is centrally positioned in the screen with black borders to the left and right.   The pan and zoom edit screen drops those black borders and just shows me my photo.   Thus, I can only pan within the confines of the photo, not the screen.   It is actually even worse than this because if I then create a pan/zoom within those restrictions and click OK, the resulting image is zoomed in so there are no black borders, just as it looked in the edit screen.

Secondly, and again with a portrait photo, this time positioned fully to the left hand side with a large area of black to the right (where I intend to add some text).   The pan and zoom screen gets completely confused and the selections withing the adjustable focus windows are offset from the final result (i.e. a different selection is displayed).   Whereas the focus windows show areas of the photo, the final result offsets the pan/zoom to the right.   Again, there seems to be an issue when the image is not exactly proportioned to the screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to Doug_newuser

Have you cropped and sized your photo to 1000x750 pixels in size?

If you do, this problem will go away.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:33 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hi Steve

Wow, that was a quick response.

Why would I want to crop my photo, I like it just the way that it is?   If I crop, then I will loose content.   I want the black borders, I am not trying to eliminate them.

Perhaps I have not explained the difficulty and maybe, on reflection, it could have been better summarised by saying that the edit screen of the pan and zoom function assumes, even requires, the image to be the same size and aspect ratio to the monitor screen.   If it is anything different then the result is unpredictable.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Doug_newuser

Doug_newuser wrote:

The photo happens to be portrait and is centrally positioned in the screen with black borders to the left and right

I suspect those black borders are 'blank areas'. Try using Photoshop Elements, or similar other graphics program, to add a real border around your photo, increasing the actual image size so that Pan & Zoom sees it as a large image.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to Doug_newuser

"the pan and zoom function assumes, even requires, the image to be the same size and aspect ratio to the monitor screen."

Exactly what I said, actually.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Either I am completely missing how to do something that is relatively simple in other products or Adobe really missed a very versatile feature..  As the OP described, I have multiple images (not video) on the same screen at the same time.  In other products such as Pinnacle, I could pan and zoom each image on the screen independently.  This gives a very nice effect of motion with still images as they appear and fade on various parts of the screen simultaneously.  Almost like having multiple projectors.

Every time I use the Pan and Zoom tool the image I am working with becomes full screen and I am struggling to anchor it into position.  There must be a way to do this.  I don’t want the image to move on the screen, just the content of the image to “appear” to zoom in or out or across.   

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to MontageGuy

For Pans and Zooms with PiP (Picture in Picture), do not use the Pan & Zoom Tool. It has other functions, and also limitations.

Instead, use the Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale (Zoom) and Motion>Position (Pan) and Keyframe their attributes.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Community Help

The Motion>Scale method reduces quality temendously in HD. I would recommend using it sparingly. The only way to zoom/pan from an entire image down to a detail in the image or vice versa is to use Photoshop, Gimp, or other photo editing software and make a very large blank image with your original image in the center. Make the background black or whatever your project look is. Usually twice or three times the size of the original image is sufficient. Then PrE will be tricked into letting you create frames in the pan and zoom tool that are larger than your actual image. If i didn't explain that very well, let me know and I'll drink some coffee before I start typing. This particular shortcoming of PrE is bothersome.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Plus4db

Another way to solve this problem is to use Photoshop to create a slide show of the still images with portrait orientation.  In Photoshop I think you have more control over the pan and zoom.  Then you can output the slide show project to Premiere Elements and can break it apart and position the still images where you want them in the overall video project. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to sbjenks

my premiere always export the video in any format , he say "Error compling the movies " what mean 's & how can i solve it

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to kumar sanu pati bpftio

It's not at all clear what steps you're taking and what results you're getting, kumar.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to kumar sanu pati bpftio

For Error Compiling Movie, the link in this article might be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4172254#4172254

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points