Skip navigation
Geoff Coupe 25 posts
Jul 21, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 - Hierarchical Keyword Metadata Read Problem

Mar 19, 2012 9:45 AM

Tags: #metadata #hierarchical_keyword #lr4

I'm new to LR and LR4. I'm trying it out, but I've found an issue/problem/bug with keywords.

I use hierarchical keywords stored as metadata in my photos. The separator character between hierarchy levels is the "/" character. LR4 recognises this when Importing photos into the catalog. So the LR4 Catalog correctly reflects the hierarchy on Import.

However, I would have expected LR4 to also recognise the "/" separator when reading metadata from files. But it doesn't. It simply creates a new flat keyword string.

For example, let's suppose I have a keyword with the hierarchy: Events/holidays/Christmas. If I import photos having the Christmas keyword, then the hierarchy gets created correctly in the Catalog.

However, if subsequently I read the metadata form a photo which has this keyword, then LR4 will create a new flat keyword string: "Events/holidays/Christmas".

This is not the desired behaviour. Am I missing a setting somewhere in LR4, or do I have to manually fix all photos that I read new metadata from?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to Geoff Coupe

Have you configured the Keyword section of Lr Preferences to use /as a separator when reading metadata in file?

keyword-separator.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to Geoff Coupe

Thanks for the feedback. I've submitted a bug report

|
    Mark as:
  • Benjamin Warde
    64 posts
    Sep 8, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to Geoff Coupe

This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.1, which is now available.  To download the 4.1 update, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and choose "Check for Updates".

Thanks,

Ben

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points