Skip navigation
larrytheunicorn
Currently Being Moderated

Why do my Frame Fitting Options reset upon Relinking graphics?

May 31, 2012 8:34 AM

Tags: #cs4 #frame #indesign #import #graphics #frames #place #fitting

I'm a semi-new user to InDesign, so it's possible that I'm missing something here... Using InDesign CS4, I've setup a file to be used as a template pamphlet, with several placeholder frames that include placeholder content. I've set each frame with specific Frame Fitting Options (in the actual dialog box, not just selected from the menu). When I attempt to relink the placeholder content to the new files, the placeholder frames lose the Frame Fitting Options I've specified and convert to however the graphics are placed as default. How can I preserve my Frame Fitting Options? Is there not a way?

PS - The relinked files are of varying shapes and sizes, so the "Preserve image dimensions when Relinking" under Preferences > File Handling is not quite the answer I'm looking for...

Thanks for the help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to larrytheunicorn

Instead of using  Relink, try selecting the frame and use File > Place....

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to larrytheunicorn

OK, I didn't test, and wasn't sure if it would work anyway. Is the fitting option part of an Object Style applied to the frames? That might work (again, untested).

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to larrytheunicorn

OK, I figured I better test out what happens here.

If preserve image dimensions when relinking is selected iin the prefs, my fitting options are preserved when relinking, even when using images of wildly different sizes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to larrytheunicorn

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to larrytheunicorn

OK, I've been playing some more, and it appears that it might have worked for me the first time becuse of the order I was relinking, though I don't think that's it. In any case, it's no longer working here, either, and I've also trashed the prefs, so I'd have to say it may be a bug. No chance it will get fixed.

|
    Mark as:
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to larrytheunicorn

It's not going to work and I don't think it's a bug...

Two things to remember...

Frame fitting options are for empty frames > relinking won't work.

Preserve dimensions, does just that... preserves dimensions (not fitting) > relinking won't work.

Actaully what could work... is a script.

The frame fitting options are still applied to each frame, the only issue is that the new pix do not use those settings... All you need to do is access each and every object, open frame fitting options and hit enter.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points