Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with XDCAM EX Footage

May 21, 2012 2:00 PM

Tags: #cs6 #xdcam #ex-1 #ex-3

Hello

I recently upgraded to Premiere CS6, and in CS6 opened a version of a project I'd started in CS5.5.2. I'm working with XDCAM EX footage, editing natively.  I'm working with Mac OS 10.7.4, 2010 Mac Pro, NVIDIA QUADRO 4000.

When I play my there are tearing artifacts across many of the clips, and there weren't any in the CS 5.5.2 version. I opened the project in CS 5.5.2 and the same sequence plays fine.

I've tried cleaning the media cache, trashing my preferences, repairing my disk permissions, and creating a new project in CS6 and importing my sequences into it.  Same problems.

I've also had some clips go offline mysteriously, when I try reconnecting (in 5.5.2) I get an error saying there are no video or audio streams and it can't re-connect. The clips play fine in VLC player. But, if I boot from the clone of my OS drive that I created before upgrading to CS6 I don't get any offline clips.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gerry

Gerry Curtis

savasanafilm.com

http://digitalkilnstudios.com

Message was edited by: digitalkiln

Replies 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

Do you see the tearing on export, or only inside of PP?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Gerry, if you have some short clips, would it be possible for you to send me one of your problematic source files? If so, please send me a personal message and I will send you my contact info.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

I've downloaded your file now and will take a look at it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to jstrawn

No playback problems for me. Attached is a screenshotof what I ma seeing. I also placed my system summary window in the upper left so you can see that my hardware is... pretty similar to yours.

z01_8294_02_playback_SS.jpg

-James

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to digitalkiln

The tearing shows when exporting.

OK.

How are you viewing that export?  On the computer?  Or did you make a DVD/Blu-ray?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to digitalkiln

Probably not very helpful to you, but I just finished editing a 3 hour program using XDCAM-EX footage and had no issues in playback or export...

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

Looks like you're only seeing it on the computer.  Don't do that.  Burn a DVD or Blu-ray to judge.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

At first I couldn;t even see the difference in your screenshot, bu tthen I noticed it... right there at the mouth... and that's all throughout the clip?

I wish I could  be of more help but I just can;t repro anything at all.. I'll post back if I start seeing anything like that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

and upon export.

OK, but we're back to the same question.  What export and how are you watching it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

Wow, I didn't really think it was that difficult a question.  Asked twice, ignored twice.

As you wish.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 5:22 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

I don't know the specifics of what Jim is driving at, but I do know that

different things happen upon export for disc, and if the problem is not

present on the disc, it'll help narrow down what the problem could be...

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

I am having the same exct problems. We have the Sony XDCAM EX camera using the mp4 files. No problems with cs5.5 only with CS6. What gives? Any help from anyone.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to digitalkiln

Same problem here. Visible on computer monitor AND on external monitor.

Haven't tested rendering yet. Included a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2012-05-30 at 15.25.01.png

Mixed timeline with XDCAM HD422 from Sony PDW700 and XDCAM EX from Sony EX3. (all footage 1920x1080i)

Blackmagic 1080i uncompressed timeline.

Single frames like this appear in the footage, artefacts not always in the same place, seems like something goes wrong when the footage is decompressed. This occurs only in the XDCAM EX (mp4) footage, XDCAM HD422 (most of the sequence) is all fine. The XDCAM EX footage itself is of course fine, and plays back normally in v5.5.

The artefact looks different in the source monitor, when viewing footage in the source monitor, somehow it takes the external signal  a second or so to display interlacing. After a second or so, the artefact is sometimes in another place or disappears alltogether. Re-importing doesn't help.

Yuk...

Mac Pro Mid 2010

24GB RAM

internal Raid0 with 2 drives

Blackmagic SDI

Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac

Cuda driver 4.2.7

Mac OS 10.7.4

Pr 6.0.1

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

Hmm… perhaps its only from the Sony cameras? I’m using a JVC GY-700 that

shoots to XDCAM-EX, and with 1080i .mp4 wrapped footage I’ve not seen any

problems…

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

BTW: "Strange" behaviour when viewing in source monitor due to the fact that it was set to 1/2 resolution and 1 field only for playback. Brand new install, did change that for the program monitor, but not for the source. The bad news is that these artefacts indeed also show up in rendered material.

Filed a bug report, hope they fix this soon! (hopefully a bit sooner than that XDCAM HD audio bug in 5.5...)

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

I have the same problem with C300 footage.

grts

Phil

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to digitalkiln

Hi Gerry,

Yep, looks like it. I really hope they can do something about it soon. Crazy situation with these bugs. XDCAM HD has this annoying audio bug in Pr5.5, and in Pr6 it finally works normally. XDCAM EX was ok in Pr5.5 and is broken in Pr6. So with a mixed HD/EX format timeline, there's always something that doesn't work as it should. One starts thinking about transcoding the whole lot anyway :-(

So here we are, eagerly awaiting Pr6.0.2.....

Cheers,

Carl.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

I am having the exact same issue.  I actually called Adobe.  All they could offer at that particular point was to make sure that my Quicktime was updated and that I had downloaded CS6.1.  It is beyond frustrating.  I am also using an XD Cam.  The tears show up in different places.  It happens in AE too.  I renedered the clip out and the artifacts were still present.  I am about ready to send it back.  The artifacts are not present in CS5.5. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to MattinHD

P.S.  I am also on a MAC. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

Ok to heighten fear this is also prevalant on PC CS5.5 AND CS6.01. Complete reinstal and update with updating quicktime to latest version has NOT solved the issue.

As posted earlier Im getting these errors from Canon XF100 and XF300 cameras. The XF300 is worse with pixelated frames that render out on finals. Another issue is a random frame pops in now and again from a second earlier or later? Here is video snap shot evidence.

cors3.jpg

cors4.jpg

cors2.jpg

cors.jpg

I have tried editing a different project in CS5.5 with HDV 50i footage from XF100 and XF300 and getting same errors regularly especially in multicam. I have noticed that if I elongate the clip the error dissapears so I think seems more prevalant near cuts on short clips?

THIS NEEDS FIXING ASAP we have businesses to run!

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

Some more screenshots, maybe one can see better what is happening here:

In this case the "tear" happened twice in one frame:

Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 21.34.16.png

and a closeup of the place where it goes wrong:

Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 21.33.21.png

and the other place, a bit lower to the right of the wheel:

Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 21.33.57.png

Looks like some data corruption happening somewhere on the way? It occurs in BOTH fields (1080i footage) at the same place in the frame. Screenshots were taken from the program monitor displaying both fields. Hope this helps Adobe people fixing it.

Are there any people working with XDCAM EX footage on a MAC that DON'T have this problem? Could they please they report their config, OS version etc.?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

Same for me on PC for a working config. Im running on nowt till this is fixed, the only thing I can remember changing recently was my Nvideo Geforce 570 GTX drivers? maybe this is an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Roddy Mc

Hi Roddy, just saw your post after I sent mine. So apparently it's not only a Mac problem. For me it seems that a lot of motion in the frame also has something to do with it? Is your footage progressive or interlaced?

I agree very much with your last remark:

Roddy Mc wrote:

THIS NEEDS FIXING ASAP we have businesses to run!

Cheers,

Carl.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

interlaced hdv

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Roddy Mc

have you recently upgraded gfx drivers?

my problems since gfx update geforce 570 gtx.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Roddy Mc

I haven't upgraded any drivers.

I just installed CS6 "on top of" CS5.5. Then took a project I was working on in Pr5.5.2 and opened it in Pr6.0.1, saved as a new version, started editing, and ran into the problem as described.

I can still open the original project in Pr5.5.2 and everything plays fine!

So to me it seems to be clearly a Pr6.0.1 issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

Ok I have reinstalled drivers from past and tried it out on CS6. Firstly CS6 wouldnt allow me to run with mercury acceleration (cuda) enabled? so in my nvidea settings i wend to 3D settings and changed the acceleration mode to compatibility which got me in to CS6 with Cuda enabled using older drivers of the Geforce 570 GTX. Seems funny this card IS in the supported cards list just CS6 wont allow that driver has to be a recent driver to pass?

Anyhoo tried multiple goes at rendering a clip with an error and NO WAY HOSE, tried field order, blending different bitrates, with and without acceleration but the error is always there sometimes displaying differently but all ways there.

DEFO NEEDS FIXING.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 7:56 PM   in reply to Roddy Mc

I have been able to reproduce this issue, but so far only with XDCAMEX .mp4 files separated from their camera structured folders. For all of you that are having these issues, did you happen to modify the camera structured folders at all or remove the .mp4 file from the folders created by the camera? I am continuing to investigate and would appreciate anyone that can provide small sample files. You may PM me and I can send deatials on where to post files if you do not have a location to post files to.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to digitalkiln

digitalkiln wrote:

Phil,

That's too bad.  Are you Mac or PC?  Perhaps you could include your basic setup to help the Adobe team narrow this down.  Seems like a Mac issue so far.

Thanks!

Gerry

Hi

I have had the issue on PC with Canon XF footage:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4459117#4459117

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...