I work for a newspaper where I design all of the pages.
I've this problem before and just experienced it today.
I have the A section set up as one document. On one page (A4) I noticed that random elements were gone. Headlines, ads, cutlines. As luck would have it, I had already sent the page to press so I didn't have to remake it. But this is an extreme worry that elements dissappear.
Also, the pasteboard for that spread (pages A4-A5) become extremely large.
Any idea what could be causing this? I have screen shots attached. Please note that the page you're looking at on the left, A4, was completely designed, but at some point elements went missing.
I now work on my pages on the local drive. I am starting to have this problem daily and it is becoming extremely aggravating due to time lost to redo pages.
Yes, exporting as .idml does seem to fix it, but, again, this is a daily problem.
No other plugins or font manager.
The ONLY thing I can think of is I have a file sync program that runs every so often to backup my pages to another hard drive. Could that be the problem? If so, what's the solution for backing up files throughout the day?
Just a hunch: are you starting each new issue from a template, or are you reusing the last issue to start the next? If the latter, then stop. Make a brand-new template, save as .indt, and use that instead. Reusing the same file over and over again is a sure way to induce corruption.
I'm going to stop using the sync software to see. I didn't have any issues syncing with InDesign 4.
Basically I have our network drive set to sync a "current" folder every 30 minutes. This way, if the drive were to fail, we have only lost 30 minutes of work. I used to save all my pages there until I upgraded to a new system and InDesign 5.5 and started having this issue of the files going corrupt. Then I started saving my files locally and I'm having the same problem. I've updated to the latest version. Again, no issues with InDesign 4, but major problems with 5.5
Europe, Middle East and Africa