Skip navigation
Movie Geek
Currently Being Moderated

Slow P2 ingest in Prelude CS6

May 15, 2012 1:22 PM

Tags: #slow #p2 #logging #footage #dvcprohd #prelude #ingest #hvx

So, when I first read through the features and specs for Adobe Prelude, I was stoked that it was built specifically for file-based media ingest. I was seriously hoping that it would help with my P2 workflow and metalogging, since the P2 Content Management System is no longer supported for Windows (past XP anyway).

To my chagrine, I go to ingest my P2 footage from my HVX (via FireWire) and it takes FOREVER.

Is there something I am overlooking when it comes to ingesting DVCProHD?

Why does P2CMS ingest so much faster than Prelude?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to Movie Geek

What kind of time is the camera via firewire ingest taking?  If you ingest to Prelude via a card reader is it faster?  If so, how much faster?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to Movie Geek

If you copy the entire camera "card" in Windows Explorer, how long does that copy take?

And then if you ingest that copy of the card via Prelude, how long does that take?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Movie Geek

I believe USB 2.0 is only what 480Mb/s so that is 0.05859375 GB/s which in my case on my Windows 7 Box Prelude and P2 Viewer and Explorer copy and paste is all the same speed. I haven't noticed any speed differences.

Now I do use the USB 2.0 P2 Single Card Reader. I would like to get the USB 3.0 since that offers 5Gb/s.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Movie Geek

Thank you, movie geek, for the follow-up. I will share your information (as well as the comment about the progress bar) with the team.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to Movie Geek

Movie Geek, I can't say when we'll be able to address the progress bar issue you described.  You can help by submitting a bug at http://adobe.com/go/wish (Prelude is not listed yet so please choose Production Premium) Please provide as much detail as possible, this will help us a great deal.

I'm glad to hear that overall the speed of Prelude is on par with other copying methods, we just need to address the progress bar perception problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points