• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 crashes during PDF export

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been attempting to export a magazine design to PDF using the dialogue in InDesign CS6 (for Mac). The PDF gets to around 90% in the background tasks panel and crashes every time. I have removed preferences, reinstalled InDesign, upgraded to Suitcase Fusion 4 and am still having problems. I have even tried printing as a .ps file and it crashes during that as well. A few weeks ago I had a similar problem but found that I was opening CS5 .indd files and not resaving them as CS6 .indd files before exporting. Once I resaved/renamed them in CS6 it appeared to fix the problem. Now I can't seem to fix this one. I have exported other files and it works fine. I even packaged the .idml file and a colleague of mine opened it up in CS5.5 and was able to export it. I thought it might have something to do with corrupt fonts but I disabled all fonts and still couldn't get it to export. Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I am on a deadline. Here is the code from my latest crash report: http://pastebin.com/mRCLsYti

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appears to have something to do with this thread but I have no clue what is going on here...

1. Thread 32 Crashed:
  2. 0   libsystem_kernel.dylib              0x93ad89c6 __pthread_kill + 10
  3. 1   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x91240f78 pthread_kill + 106
  4. 2   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x91231ce3 __abort + 198
  5. 3   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x9122e64a __stack_chk_fail + 253
  6. 4   com.adobe.CoolType                  0x010137c9 CTInit + 1626733
  7. 5   com.adobe.CoolType                  0x01014053 CTInit + 1628919
  8. 6   com.adobe.CoolType                  0x010111ba CTInit + 1616990
  9. 7   com.adobe.CoolType                  0x0100f77e CTInit + 1610274
  10. 8   com.adobe.CoolType                  0x00f6478e CTInit + 909874
  11. 9   com.adobe.CoolType                  0x00ef40a2 CTInit + 449350
  12. 10  com.adobe.CoolType                  0x00e726ba 0xe1e000 + 345786
  13. 11  com.adobe.PDFL                      0x2cc792e2 PDFontPSFlushIncrGlyphList + 85285
  14. 12  com.adobe.PDFL                      0x2d08e898 PDEFontGetWidthsNow + 8752
  15. 13  com.adobe.PDFL                      0x2d08ebb9 PDEFontGetWidthsNow + 9553
  16. 14  com.adobe.PDFL                      0x2d08fb13 PDEFontGetWidthsNow + 13483
  17. 15  com.adobe.PDFL                      0x2d0909a1 PDEFontGetWidthsNow + 17209
  18. 16  com.adobe.PDFPort                   0x187ffffe PDFPortInitialize + 560298
  19. 17  com.adobe.PDFPort                   0x18800375 PDFPortInitialize + 561185
  20. 18  com.adobe.PDFPort                   0x187e88f0 PDFPortInitialize + 464284
  21. 19  com.adobe.InDesign.PDF              0x1851cf09 0x184e7000 + 220937
  22. 20  com.adobe.InDesign.PDF              0x1854064d GetPlugIn + 66509
  23. 21  com.adobe.InDesign.PDF              0x185430b8 GetPlugIn + 77368
  24. 22  com.adobe.InDesign.PDF              0x1852abb5 0x184e7000 + 277429
  25. 23  PublicLib.dylib                     0x01701d7c Command::DoImmediate(short) + 62
  26. 24  com.adobe.InDesign.Utilities        0x121ce691 0x121ca000 + 18065
  27. 25  com.adobe.InDesign.Utilities        0x121ce8a0 0x121ca000 + 18592
  28. 26  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x10c2cbba 0x10c10000 + 117690
  29. 27  PublicLib.dylib                     0x01702724 CmdUtils::ProcessCommand(ICommand*) + 48
  30. 28  com.adobe.InDesign.PDF              0x1866abb6 GetPlugIn + 1288502
  31. 29  com.adobe.InDesign.PDF              0x1866ef47 GetPlugIn + 1305799
  32. 30  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x10d0a749 GetPlugIn + 852745
  33. 31  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x10d0bca6 GetPlugIn + 858214
  34. 32  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x10d0c804 GetPlugIn + 861124
  35. 33  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x10d0d3c5 GetPlugIn + 864133
  36. 34  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x10d0e98e GetPlugIn + 869710
  37. 35  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x10d0e9fa GetPlugIn + 869818
  38. 36  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x10d0ea66 GetPlugIn + 869926
  39. 37  com.adobe.boost_threads.framework   0x01c6a40d thread_proxy + 141
  40. 38  libsystem_c.dylib                   0x9123eed9 _pthread_start + 335
  41. 39  libsystem_c.dylib                   0x912426de thread_start + 34

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My best guess would be a bad font but I have nothing concrete to back it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'd agree. CoolType is a font rendering technology. Remove all non-system fonts, try again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deactivated all fonts and attempted to export directly from InDesign and it crashed again. However, this time when I also tried to print to .ps and selected download "none" in the Graphics/Fonts dialogue box, the postscript saved and it worked flawlessly making the PDF in Distiller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does removing the suitcase plugin from the Plugins folder change any of the behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no plugin installed at the moment. After updating to Suitcase Fusion 4 today there wasn't one installed by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does it behave in safeboot? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried safe mode. It crashed at 95% progress like it has been doing all along. On a positive note, I was able to make a PDF from Distiller by going the .ps route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The weird part though was I made the PDF from Distiller I selected to save it in spreads and it ended up ignoring that and saving it in single pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.

I deactivated all fonts and attempted to export directly from InDesign and it crashed again. However, this time when I also tried to print to .ps and selected download "none" in the Graphics/Fonts dialogue box, the postscript saved and it worked flawlessly making the PDF in Distiller.

Well, if you deactivated "all fonts," then why didn't you have a problem when you produced the PDF? Are you sure the problem isn't one of the fonts you're using in the document? Do you have fonts in a Document Fonts folder, also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that might have something to do with it. Each issue of this magazine I package and save the fonts in that issue's folder. Then I typically open an older issue, delete the content and resave as a new issue as I'm working on it. Going to try deleting all of those Document Fonts folders and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, easier to rename the folder rather than delete it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trashed those folders and this time it got to 97% instead of 95% before crashing lol. When I mentioned deactivating the fonts, I went into Suitcase Fusion 4 and turned them off. Also, for what it's worth, I noticed when I package the file in the preflight stage there are a ton of fonts embedded that I'm not actually using in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please actually remove the plugin from /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS6/Plugins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I think those embedded fonts are in the ads. As for the plugin, this is what I see in the /Adobe InDesign CS6/Plugins folder...

/Data Services

/Dictionaries

/Filters

/Graphics

/InCopyWorkflow

/Interactive

/Layout

/Page Item

/PMPack

/Prepress

/Sandbox

/Script

/Tables

/Text

/UI

/Utility

/Workflow

/Workgroup

/XMedia

Which one of those should I remove?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are all folders...

but usually the autoactivation plugin is installed in the Font Activation/

folder. Maybe you don't have it installed though...I guess that's esp.

plausible since CS6 came out recently and the older version would

not have been compatible, and I don't know if you have (or if Extensis even ships!) a CS6 version.

Well, if it's a corrupt font in an ad, well... Delete half the pages,

export, see if you find the problem. Lather rinse repeat...

Do this work on a copyof your file of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just read on the Extensis forums that there is no plugin yet for CS6. If I sent the packaged files to a colleague who then exported a PDF from CS5.5 no problem, wouldn't that already rule out corrupted fonts or fonts in ads?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yes and no.

Perhaps we have a subtle form of corruption that only CS6 is sensitive to?

Or perhaps one of the problem fonts is a system font on your system.

It would be best if you sent it to a colleague with CS6 and CS5.5 and that person were to determine whether they had differential results between the two.

I would really start divide-and-conquer on your document.

Just to be clear, you have a workable solution so you're not up against tight deadline pressure anymore, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: workable solution — Well kind of. I can save as a .ps but when I distill it the PDF doesn't save in spreads or with any other settings I mark (i.e. bleeds, crop marks, etc.). I have to upload to the printer Tuesday so hopefully I can get to the bottom of it by then. By the way, I opened up a couple of other issues and they have all crashed as well with the exception of one. Now to experiment with taking the file apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's rather strange that you want it in spreads. Are you sure your printer wants that?

Anyhow, you should be able to add crop marks in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No actually when I send it to the printer it will be in individual pages and each page will be it's own individual PDF labeled accordingly. I just like to show my client the PDF proofs in spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To show client spread view with  PDF of single pages, you could change the "Layout View" in Acrobat Pro. Go to "Document Properties", "Initial View" and choose "Two-Up (Cover Page)" in "Layout View". Then save the document. Your client should open the file in Adobe Reader 8 (?) and above…

Don't do that with an PDF/X; otherwise you will break the /X-specifications.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I recently read in the Extensis best font management practices PDF about moving all of my /Library/Fonts; Home/Library/Fonts and ApplicationSupport/Adobe/Fonts to a centralized location with my other fonts. I have since done this and now have full control over every font on my system (with the exception of the System/Fonts as I didn't move those) in Suitcase Fusion. I disabled every single font on my computer and the PDF export is still crashing based on this "Adobe CoolType" thread. I've about exausted all of my options as last night I even removed every single Adobe file from my computer (had some old stuff floating around from CS3 days) and reinstalled the entire CS6. No luck still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What verion of Suitcase are you using? Do you have the latest patch?

I think you said there was no plugin yet for CS6, but it would be worth your while to make sure there is nothing from Extensis in your plugins folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines