Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 InDesign compatibility

May 31, 2012 10:18 PM

Hi!

How do we keep CS6 InDesign documents compatible to CS5?

Thanks!

CJ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 10:32 PM   in reply to Konstantinos Terzopoulos

Expot them to IDML from the CS6 ,

IDML file exported from the Indesign CS6 is compatible with CS4 and later version

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:45 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

I'm not sure if compatible is the most accurate way to describe this. You will be able to open an IDML file exported from CS6 in CS5, but it won't necessarily be exactly the same as a document created in CS5. Any features that were introduced in the later version that were not present in the older one will be converted to something compatible with the older version's code. I don't have CS6, so I can't site a specific example, but back when I used Quark, they introduced Type on a Path in a version, and if downsaved to the previous version that didn't have type on a path, the object was converted into type within a rectangle, which looks nothing like it did in the newer version.

Manish_1988 wrote:

…compatible with CS4 and later version

Backsaving has historically only worked with the previous version, so I'm not sure that CS4 will open a CS6 IDML or not.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 11:16 PM   in reply to Michael Gianino

Michael Gianino wrote:

…compatible with CS4 and later version

Backsaving has historically only worked with the previous version, so I'm not sure that CS4 will open a CS6 IDML or not.

Yes, it will. There is more opportunity for stuff to go wrong, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Can Adobe not provide a chart that shows what is compatible with what...can you open a 5.5 document in CS6....this is simple stuff andit used to be called customer service.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to dunbarrandy

All versions of InDesign can open files saved in any version up to the one you are using. NO version of indesign can open any .indd file saved in any later version than the one you are using. This has never changed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points