Skip navigation
dougbale
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign won’t just save files; it wants to replace them

May 31, 2012 10:40 AM

Tags: #problem #indesign #mac_os_x #osx_lion #cs6

Why won't InDesign let me open, review and close an existing file with no further action, or open, modify and close one after simply saving the modification? In either case it throws up an error message sying "File xx already exists. Do you want to replace it? A file or folder with the same name qlready exists in the folder yy. Replacing it will overwrite its current contents." The choices then are to cancel or replace.

What is the point of saying that a file I already have open in front of me "already exists"? Of course it already exists; I'm looking at it — and trying to close it or to save it and then close it.

Is there no way to alter this behavior?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to dougbale

Moved to the InDesign forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to dougbale

If you are opening a file from an earlier version of ID, then the software sees it as a new file and as such the file is unsaved. It wants to Save the file in the new version.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to dougbale

Sometimes—and I wish I could pin down what curcumstances lead to this—but sometimes when I open a file over a network, it opens as a Read-Only doc, even though it wasn't saved as a template. I usually don't even notice this until I go to save, when it asks me if I want to replace the existing file. I expect this if I Save-As, but not when I just save. I'm not sure if this is what you are seeing too, but I wonder if you are working locally, or over a network?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 11:23 PM   in reply to Michael Gianino

This can be caused by many things, ownership of the networked drive, properties of the file ie: ready only.

When opening a file over a network the path to linked files will alter to your machine and indesign will want to save the file again even thou you have not made any changes.

Would be good to know if you are on a mac or pc network.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points