Skip navigation
gbye
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Flash and the MLB.TV Baseball season current ongoing spinning circles problems

May 16, 2012 10:18 AM

Tags: #spinning_circles #mlb.tv

Is Adobe aware of the current ongoing problems with MLB.TV streams that are succumbing to the so called "Spinning Circles " problem that is widely discussed at MLB.TV Support Forum?

In the forum MLB.TV has not detailed what constitutes the MLB.TV media player as far as full components makup.  It is widely known, however that Adobe Flash and a product known as  NexDef are involved as prime components and probably are the culprits for the problem that some MLB.TV Premium paid subcribers have been experiencing from say 6 APR 2012 thru 14 Apr 2012 and continuing so far.

Has Adobe been helping MLB.TV try to solve the issue. If not , please read the MLB.TV support forum and recognize that Adobe will probably be red flagged, if not already, as flawed, and thus IMHO will lose thier MLB.TV contract to Microsoft Silverlight again ... at least until HTML5 comes  along eventually to save the day ... I hope.

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 18, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to gbye

I wasn't aware of this problem.  I'll forward this along to our video team for their review.  Could you provide us with some links to the threads on the MLB support forums?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 18, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I've asked our video team and they are also not aware of any existing issue.  I think the best approach at this point would be to create a new bug at bugbase.adobe.com (which makes it official) and post back both here and on the MLB forums with the bug's URL so that others affected can add their votes and comments.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to gbye

Please see my related thread here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4431723#4431723

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 23, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to gbye

I'm trying to find someone that can help you guys with the MLB site.  Since I do not have access, I'm unable to test or verify these issues.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 25, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to gbye

A bit more info from my side.  From what I understand, this is actually an issue with MLB's usage of a technology called SwarmCast.  It appears to be Flash but is not.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 29, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to gbye

gbye,

Thank you for the update.  I've raised your concern to our Flash Media Server team (along with other members of the Flash Video related teams) so people should have a heads up with regards to mlb.tv.  I unfortunately still do not have access to the mlb.tv forums so I can't monitor what is going on over there.  If you'd like, please feel free to forward my email (ccampbel@adobe.com) to the appropriate people at mlb.tv if they need Adobe contacts to work through this issue.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 2:34 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, IMO you correctly identify the problem with MLB.com as being related to MLB using SwarmCast's NexDef technology to implement HTTP dynamic streaming.  I also note from this post http://blogs.adobe.com/ktowes/2010/06/flash_player_101_http_dynamic.ht ml that Adobe has developed and deployed an equivalent technology to the one implemented in NexDef, an adaptable, scalable swarm-fed HTTP HD streaming technology.  These look to me to be similar in concept and purpose.

If this is the case, isn't the simple and prudent solution for MLB.com to jettison NexDef (as SwarmCast has done) and embrace your HTTP Dynamic Streaming technology?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 30, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to wilbur55555

I'm not a video expert by any means, but I do know that we do extensive testing and support using our tools.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris,

Thank you for your attention to this issue with MLB TV and Nexdef.

My mother is retired and due to the current economy has limited recreational outlets and watching the Cubs online is one of the few affordable options to her.

She has been on the phone with MLB TV tech support about a dozen times since March of this year and they try to put the blame on her version of adobe, bandwith or Nexdef.

After her last go round with them and my downloading latest versions of Adobe Flash and nexdef and reverifying adequate bandwidth and nexdef installation all through the tool pages provided at MLB TV the freeze up issue still persists as of today.

I verified that there are no issues with the adobe flash loaded on her system over this past week by watching both movies from Hulu and live feed from financial sites and adobe performed flawlessly streaming video for over two hours at a time.

My mother attempted to post our findings and observations about this nexdef thing on the MLB support forum for subscribers yesterday and the admin of MLB support Forum has not posted her findings or a reply.

Maybe you could forward what we have found regarding the nexdef situation on to your tech guys working with the MLB techs to show them that Adobe is serving us well but when MLB attaches nexdef to it, Adobe spits and sputters and freezes up within 6 innings.

Thanks for all your help as we ball fans try to figure this out and get some relief. I really hate how the telephone techs at MLB are trying to make this look like its an Adobe Flash problem when flash works on every other site.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 31, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to J. Blair

I will definitely pass this along.  By the way, it might not be a bad idea to ask other MLB customers encountering issues to add a comment on this post so we can see how widespread this issue is, even though this does not appear to be a Flash Player issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris,

I post in MLB.TV forums as well and I have managed to watch 3 games from beginning to end all season. Generally what happens is NexDef crashes. It can be difficult to restart it and on occasion I need to completely close the browser to get it all to come back and work. We are very excited to have you looking into the issues and seeing if you can't find some resolution for us.

Unfortunately I need NexDef in order to have the audio overlay work (watch the Phillies TV but listen to the radio broadcast).

The computer that I watch the games on is an i7 Extreme 980X with 9GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5570 with 1GB of dedicated VRAM. It runs Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit I have a 12/5 DSL connection and generally am between 3500 and 4500 on the MLB bandwidth test. They tell us that you need a minimum of 3000 for HD.

So I should be enjoying every game with no major issues. Instead at least once a game but more often 2-6 times per game NexDef crashes. It's easy to know it's coming because the audio stops, the picture freezes and then the spinning circles begin. I then have to get out of full screen mode, turn NexDef back on, readjust to HD, then change the Broadcast to use the audio overlay to listen to WPHT. Sometimes I'll get an inning or two before the circles come back to visit again. 

At the beginning of the season, I couldn't use Firefox at all to watch games so I was using IE (yuck!). After seeing some posts from others that they were having good luck with Firefox, I tried it again and it is working. It may even be a bit better than IE but I've only been using it for a week or so.

If there is any testing or question answering I can do, just let me know! I also have a much slower computer with a Pentium D 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM and Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit with an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT with 256 MB of VRAM.

I hope this helps! 

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 6, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Count me in as one more person who has spent hours on the phone with mlb.tv tech assistants being told to clear caches, reinstall NexDef, test bandwidth (by mlb.tv standards: 4-6000 kbps, so adequate) and still mlb.tv is jerky and hangs up with spinning circles. I can watch other streaming video and Hulu programs. Something is wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to mrut1

Please see my post here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4483102#4483102  I have been testing and have seen the problem even with NexDef not running.

IMO NexDef should NOT be needed to watch MLB games.  Its primary intention is to improve picture quality for people with slow internet connections.  I'd have to believe that Adobe is already doing the best they can on that score.  If not they should be. 

MLB is pushing people to use NexDef because that's apparently how they're able to intrude commercials into the breaks between half-innings.  If NexDef isn't running I don't get commercials on my computer, and I also don't get them on my Western Digital WD Live Hub device.  I've heard that some people have had some luck blocking the advertizing with browser ad blocking add-ons too BTW.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points