Skip navigation
adb1960
Currently Being Moderated

IMac Install

May 31, 2012 3:45 PM

Tags: #photoshop #imac #element10

Photoshop Elements 10 (Photo and Video) Organizer will open and stay open for a few seconds then close. I have uploaded a patch but it did not help. What else do I need to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to adb1960

[Moving the discussion to Photoshop Elements Forum]

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to adb1960

Does this happen whether you open it from the welcome screen or directly from applications? Try starting the organizer while holding down the shft key to bring up the catalog manager, then select your catalog, repair and optimize.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to adb1960

Did you install from, are you running from an admin account? And where are these photos located?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to adb1960

To see whether you're running from an admin account, go to system preferences>Users & Groups, click your account and see if "allow user to administer this computer" is checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Also, macs have had right click for many years. To enable it, go to system prefs>mouse>point and click>secondary click and choose what you want to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to adb1960

Okay.

Tried to move it to the Mac but it kept crashing. Uninstalled

You need to explain this better. How did you move and how uninstall?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to adb1960

Well, if you had discs you just wasted a bunch of money buying the same thing again, but at this point the thing to do is to figure out why the organizer is crashing. Which version of OS X?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Also did you uninstall with the uninstaller in the PSE 10 folder in applications? I hope so.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to adb1960

Can you save to the internal drive? What format is the external?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

To find your OS X version, click the black apple at the upper left of the screen and choose About this Mac:

Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 3.55.58 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to adb1960

Wait, don't do that. I was just trying to figure out if your problem was with PSE. If your external is formatted NTFS, for example, macs can read that format but not write to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

If you're not sure how a disk is formatted, when it's connected and turned on, go to applications>utlities>disk utility and click it in the list on the left. Then down at the bottom of the screen you should see:

Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 4.06.41 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to adb1960

Yes. Do you still need to be able to access the drive in Windows? If not, just use disk utility to reformat to Mac OS X Journaled Extended. If you want to be able to write to it from both platforms you have a couple of different formatting choices, each of which has advantages and disadvantages, or you can install a utility that lets OS X write to the NTFS drive.

If you google "mac write ntfs external drive" without the quotes you'll find several options. Some free, some not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to adb1960

No, basically, you're just letting the mac see it like it would a mac formatted drive and use it the same way. I think it may be slightly riskier than using a mac format (but you do have a backup of these photos elsewhere, right?). The most popular program has been something called macfuse, but it took them quite a while to get that to work with lion's 64 bit core, and I really don't know which one is best to use now. Macupdate has several to choose from.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Otherwise, you can format as fat32 or exfat (although if you're using XP I don't know if that understands exfat).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to adb1960

Another good source for drives is OWC (macales.com). I have no affiliation with them, just find their products are good.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points