Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Turning off blue boundaries

May 31, 2012 7:54 AM

How can I temporarily turn off thin blue boundaries that show up through the centreline, the moment an object or any image is clicked?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to arjun2

I can't tell if you mean the bounding box or smart guides, or maybe something else. Please tell us your version of ID, and the OS, and provide a better description of whaat you are doing, or post a screen shot.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to arjun2

View>Extras>Hide Frame Edges. On Mac OS, the shortcut is Control Command H.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 11:07 PM   in reply to arjun2

I'm using CS5, so maybe it's different in CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to arjun2

If you save a document with frame edges showing, the edges will still be showing when you open it the next time. The same goes if you save with hidden edges (they will still be hidden).

You can set whether they will show or hide on new documents by changing the setting while no documents are open. I don't think there is a way to change the setting on existing documents by default, so if the setting isn't what you prefer when you open a document, change it afterward. I work with people who like edges hidden, and I like them showing, so this is something I do all the time. If you use the keyboard shortcut, it will take no time at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:45 AM   in reply to arjun2

Yes, but it's not a very good idea. Image frames start out with no stroke or fill, so if frame edges are hidden you won't be able to see them at all in normal view if they are empty and not selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to arjun2

Why not just use preview mode? Shortcut key is w.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, Preview Mode also exhibits the "problem" of the OP:

.. thin blue boundaries that show up through the centreline, the moment an object or any image is clicked ..

It appears to me as if the OP does not want to see his selection. I was going to suggest to try and do your work without selecting anything, except that being able to select something (and then do something with it) is a pretty basic function in DTP software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

From that perspective, even hiding frame edges isn't going to work. There is nothing that will hide the bounding box of a selected object that I can think of.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Well, you could set the layer color to white if you’re working on a white background.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob Levine wrote:

Well, you could set the layer color to white if you’re working on a white background.

You need to come look at the illustration... Changing the layer color would only be useful if the color matches the stroke, and the bounding box is actually inside a stroke.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, of course…but…this entire discussion, IMO, is a bit silly. Having no way to tell what is selected just makes no sense to me.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I get an annoying black rectangle behind my text whenever I select it, and the text color itself changes to its inverse in RGB color space. That makes it quite hard to change the color of some selected text because I cannot see what it actually will look like.

(In case the OP is still following this thread: a solution to this, and his problem as well, is to open an additional window with a view on the same document. You can manipulate a selection in one window, and the other window will update it live while you are doing this. Quite an impressive, yet relatively unknown, feature of InDesign.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob Levine wrote:

Having no way to tell what is selected just makes no sense to me.

I concur.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points