Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Procedure for reformatting raid drives currently formated for mac TO pc format

Jun 1, 2012 7:21 AM

Im researching the process of how to take external raid array drives that are currently formatted for the mac system and and converting the drives to a format that can be used with a pc. I was informed by an expert that there is a simple process, but never got the details.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Here's the simplest way:

MacDrive

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to lasvideo

I have absolutely no idea what the performance penalty is of using Jeff's suggestion of MacDrive, but normally one would reformat from Windows with NTFS and thus lose all data currently on the raid. But, about the same as with editors, FCP uses ProRes and Adobe uses native format. Well here the choice is similar, either use MacDrive (similar to ProRes) or use NTFS (similar to native).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to lasvideo

You could try the Convert command to convert the volume to NTFS. Maybe that is what Eric had in mind, but I have never tried it with a MAC volume, only to convert FAT32 to NTFS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to lasvideo

I believe any reformatting means you will loose the current files!  Conversion might work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Essentially the easy way to do this is to delete the raid volume while it's on the Mac and then connect the raid to the PC and create a new raid volume. After it initializes then you just initialize the volume in Windows as GPT and format the Volume as NTFS. Once you have the Driver installed for the controller in Win 7 you can also delete the raid volume on the PC system and then just create the new raid then.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to lasvideo

This COW thread:

Raid issues : G-Tech

seems to indicate that you can do it with something called Configurator.  Windows 7 64-bit supports GUID partition tables, so multi-TB sized disks aren't a problem.

Jeff

EDIT: Even after a refresh, Eric still beat me to the punch.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points