Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

[Consolidation-Locked] Tethered Capture for Nikon D800

Oct 18, 2012 4:33 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WqXcQDNJTtg/T8Y59PJzk3I/AAAAAAAAEE4/veu01Lnd1xY/s1600/NoCameraDetected.JPG

Still not working with LR4.1 released today.  Are there plans to support tethered capture for the Nikon D800? 

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to PrestonPage

Tethered capture in Lightroom is dependent upon the camera vendor SDK. Since the D800 is not currently supported you can take it that the SDK is either unavailable or came too late for inclusion in Lr4.1, which it will be 4.2 at the earliest.

A full listing of supported cameras is provided here

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

PrestonPage wrote:

I know the Nikon D800 Camera SDK released December 2010 at the same time as the D4 and D800 NEF/RAW SDK.

Not sure how the SDK supporting tethering for D4 and D800 was released two years before the cameras where even released to the market.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

The date of release of the D4 and D800 SDKs is given on the Nikon SDK website as 12/4/10, which reversed gives the 10th of April 2012. Just look down the list of dates and you will see that the first number is the year of release.

https://sdk.nikonimaging.com/apply/

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to bob frost

This really sucks.  I'm cancelling my D800 order if I do not have lens profiles and Lightoom support.  I hear LR 4 is buggy anyway with the tone curves (says Chris Marquardt from tfttf).  A lack of lens profiles and tethered support is exactlty why I am dumping the Olympus E5 platform. 

Toronto Boudoir Photography

NOTE: There was a bug involving custom Tone Curves created in Lightroom 3.x. If the catalog was converted to version 4.0, the tone curves were "lost" (the information was still in the catalog file, but not applied in the Develop module). The 4.1 update has fixed this issue, it will even recover the missing Tone Curve adjustments in catalogs updated from LR3.x to LR4.0.

Message was edited by: Brett N

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

Enjoy!!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

PrestonPage wrote:

Camera makers don't release SDKs after cameras are released to market.  I know that Nikon generally releases its camera and file SDKs 12 months or more before the first production run to give vendors like Adobe time to integrate support into their products.

Uh huh...what planet are you from?

How can you possibly believe the Kool-Aid that a camera SDK could POSSIBLY released 1 year before the camera was released with the final camera firmware?

What you are sprouting is SciFi (and bad SciFi to boot)...it may take up to a year before a camera maker gets around to finally updating the camera SDK. There is ZERO chance they could produce a usable SDK 1 year before a camera was released...seriously, what are you smoking? Care to share?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:43 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

PrestonPage wrote:

Hi Jeff - I'm not drinikg the Adobe Kool-Aid, to be sure.  I don't smoke, but I will share, if you're up for it, a reality check, directly from Nikon: https://sdk.nikonimaging.com/apply/.

No, it shows the date one could APPLY for the camera SDK...what is the date of the camera SDK RELEASE? Has it been released? Based on the final release firmware SDK? Apply vs release are different dates I would expect...the only thing your url indicates is the date Nikon started telling 3rd parties aout the possibility on a model named D800...it does not prove when Nikon actually released a usable SDK for camera tethering–if indeed that they have done so–I don't know, but it's unrealistic that Nikon released a useful SDK in 2010 for a camera realeased in 2012...again, what are you smoking?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 3:52 AM   in reply to PrestonPage

Preston, so according to your version of the dates on the Nikon site are day month year?? (D4 12/4/10 = 12 April 2010) Then how do you explain the D3X date of 11/02/22 = 11the Feb 2022??

Just curious........

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to PrestonPage

PrestonPage wrote:

so I know the SDK was available on 12/4/2010.

No.

Nikon is apparently using the "Big-Endian" (yy/mm/dd) way of writing dates on that page, so 12/04/10 is 10 April 2012, not much more than a month ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to PrestonPage

Well maybe you would ain more traction by posting that information here directly.

Seems funny to me than that no "new" cameras are on the list then such as the rumoured D600??

PrestonPage wrote:

Geof, I'm looking at dates in the SDK binary headers, not the last revision date on the web site.  The April D4/D800 update includes changes from the firmware B:1.01 release.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to PrestonPage

A couple of links for you Preston:

http://rasterweb.net/raster/2012/04/19/bad-date-data/

http://controlmynikon.com/

Top Story Left column

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to jules_1973

>I'm cancelling my D800 order if I do not have lens profiles and Lightoom

>support.

I'm sure that will make some other person waiting for a D800 very happy.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to PrestonPage

Jeff, I'm frankly baffled by your position and tone.  I can only assume

that you are new to reviewing camera SDKs and that you didn't apply to

download the Nikon SDKs to investigate further the file revision history.

The column header above the dates reads "Update" and means the date that

the SDK files were last updated.  For the D4 and D800, that date is

12/4/2010.  I'm registerd to be notified of SDK revisions, so I know the

SDK was available on 12/4/2010.

As I explained in a previous post, the date given by Nikon in that column is

12/4/10. It does NOT say 2010, and the first number - 12 - is the year

(obvious when you look down the list and see the dates on the older cameras

start with 11, 10, 09, 08), and the last number 10 is the day of the month

because some of those numbers are 22, and 30! So the date is reversed -

12/4/10 means 10th April 2012. Different countries have different date

orders. This one is called Gregorian Big-endian date/time format and is

commonly used in Asian countries and is the ISO international standard.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

Well put Geoff, I agree totally

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to PrestonPage

SDK nonsense aside, it is now July 30, 2012 and Adobe still haven't gotten their collective a#$%@s into gear and fixed their software for Nikon D800 users. ACR still doesn't convert D800 NEF's properly, LR 4.1 still runs like a 3 legged dog and PS CS6 Lens Corrction STILL doen't list D800 as a Nikon camera.  Thethered capture is STILL not supported by LR 4.x, no wonder Adobe dropped the price, there are other applications priced beter, perform better do more and do better and priced in the same region that LR used to be.  PhaseOne here I come.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

Preston, how are you using Camera Control 2 + ViewNX 2 for tethered capture? My (latest version) of C C 2 doesn't recognized the D800. Any help would really be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 11:34 PM   in reply to tortuga roja

Now also dumped LR4 due to no tethering support for D800 - Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 seems to be the only one that works BUT it has a lot more (tethering control) features and transfer/download times are incredible in comparison. I just wish they'd include this software with the camera like Canon do.

The Nikon software gets the 43MB NEF files off the D800 and onto my laptop faster than Lightroom did for the 11MB files generated by my D700 which always felt sluggish. At first I though "oh that's nice it's giving me a little preview image so I can see what I've shot while it's waiting on downloading the massive RAW file" - the way the interface looks it seemed it wasn't actually downloading the RAW file and I actually thought it was hanging. It took me quite a while to figure that the "little preview file" was actually the full image already downloaded!! This was a real revelation compared to LR4 - I've stood in shoots and waited A-G-E-S to see images I've shot which drains the energy from a shoot

n.b. my laptop only has USB2 so it's nothing to do with the USB3 interace on the D800.

I really liked LR4 but Adobe is going to lose a whole load of customers who are being forced into alternatives only to find themselves pleasantly surprised.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:41 AM   in reply to Tinyhalo

I would expect the next update of Lightroom may well have what you want, that is the way it works, usually!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

I would expect the next update of Lightroom may well have what you want, that is the way it works, usually!!

I wouldn't bet on that! Unless Adobe can replicate a problem in their labs on their computers, they can't work out a solution. I wouldn't stop trying to find out what is different about a computer with a problem from the majority of computers without a problem. I sorted out my LR problems myself, as I have detailed earlier in these threads.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to bob frost

Bob, this is about tethering a D800, nothing else.

bob frost wrote:

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

I wouldn't bet on that! Unless Adobe can replicate a problem in their labs on their computers, they can't work out a solution. I wouldn't stop trying to find out what is different about a computer with a problem from the majority of computers without a problem. I sorted out my LR problems myself, as I have detailed earlier in these threads.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Tethering doesn't come as quickly and "routinely" as support for raw.  That camera is relatively new, and it may take some time before tethered support can be added.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to JimHess

Jim, we are talking many months since the D800 release, this thread is 3 months old now. I would expect the next release would be about right.

JimHess wrote:

Tethering doesn't come as quickly and "routinely" as support for raw.  That camera is relatively new, and it may take some time before tethered support can be added.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to JimHess

Yes ... considering Apple added tethering support in Aperture for the Nikon D800/D4 and the Canon 5dmkIII and 1Dx in May ... and Capture One added support in July ... pretty much without the assistance of any SDK's from either manufacturer ...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to PrestonPage

Preston, I'm using a similar workflow sans the DxO software. I have always tethered with Camera Control and ViewNX, but until you let me know via this thread, I was under the impreesion that even Nikon hadn't supported my new D800 yet. I am very happy with this flow. I use LR only for cataloging and culling. Then PS for all editing. This works smooth for me on a pretty lightweight system but it should be understood that a lab does all of my printing and I only shoot for my gallery sales - no events or weddings. 5 new keepers a week and I'm rockin'!

Now that I have the latest Camera Control, the tethering is a breeze so I'm in no hurry for LR to offer it in an update. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to PrestonPage

Having just tried tethering my D800 to LR4 for the first time (then google leading me here) I'm rather disappointed.

I'm thinking the cheaper tethering solution would actually be to just buy Aperture if it's already supported as it's around half the price of Camera Control with far more additional functionality.

Adobe really need to get themselves sorted...

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to pjapk

Has anyone tried "ControlMyNikon" software? It just released a new Beta that supports the D800. If it works like they say, it would be pretty cool against Camera Control 2 and it is only $30!

http://www.controlmynikon.com/index.html

Michael

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers