Skip navigation
L C Quarterman
Currently Being Moderated

cocoa error 259. Are files with this error code recoverable? Days of creative progress was lost!

May 30, 2012 5:21 PM

Tags: #ipad2 #touch_apps #adobe_ideas #error_259

The screen froze as I was working on a project that had been previously saved numerous times. I duplicated the file to work on two different versions, and it was the duplicated file that ended up with the error. the The app shut itself down and when reopened, the work had reverted to a version I saved days prior. I closed it thinking it would refresh and all my progress would return. However, it did not, and I was unable to reopen the file after that point. It would be  understandable if I'd only lost the progress I'd made during the session that crashed, but losing days of progress that had been saved is unacceptable. Is that lost progress recoverable? I was using the iPad 2 when the error occured. I tried opening it on my iPhone, and iMac. I tried renaming the file, restarting...please help.

Is there any consideration of a refund or compensation of some kind when new products are not performing as expected? I was dissapoited to find that the only thing I paid an additional cost for, after signing up for the Creative Cloud, was what failed to meet my expectations.

Thank you,

Lynette

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to L C Quarterman

I'm sorry to hear about your data loss. We treat data loss issues very seriously. I assume you had sync turned on the entire time you were working with the document? At any point in time, did you see the updated version of the document (before the data loss) on your Creative Cloud account via the web site? If you're comfortable sharing, could you share what the names of the documents are (both the original and the duplicate)?

Frank

Ideas Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to L C Quarterman

Same here. Second time this has happened. Grrrr. https://twitter.com/jasonramasami/statuses/211349735154524160

UPDATE: folks it has happened again.

I have a file that I need recovering. From the Creative Cloud it has been downloaded as this:

http://d.pr/f/uZxR/4GEWF1Pe

Is there anyway for an Adobe Engineer to be able to recover this in some way?

Message was edited by: jason rama

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to jason rama

Jason -

The Adobe Ideas team is actively investigating this error and we appreciate the inclusion of your file for evaluation.  To help us in our efforts, could you provide any details as to what you were doing within Ideas prior to seeing the error?  Also, based on your posts, it appears that this has occurred to you twice.  If that understanding is correct, was it the same file both times?  Any information related to your experience and activity when the issue occurred will be helpful.  We will continue our efforts to diagnose and resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Kim Ortiz

Ideas Quality Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 4:22 AM   in reply to Kim McCaw Ortiz

Hello Kim. Thankyou for being in touch.

The issue has happened three times now.

It is hard to say what I was doing exactly because I simply assumed that the software was rock solid. The main thing I remember is what behaviour I changed afterwards.

Before - I think I was jumping in and out of the folders within the app while syncing was happening. I can't remember but there is a chance that I came out of the app mid way during a sync (I can't actually be sure of this). I know as well that I had my iphone app plus my web browser on the go at the same time.

After - and the problem is now not repeating - I took these steps:

1. I deleted the app of reinstalled it.

2. I deleted it permanently on my iphone.

3. Each time I did work of any significance I would

- turn sync on.

- it would run through the cycle

- I turned it off after it went through the cycle a second time (ie reach 100% a second time)

- bizarrely (and new behaviour after reinstall) the app now cycles endlessly through the sync cycle an just won't stop unless manually turned off.

- then I would check the browser to see of the changes have been committed to the cloud - occasionally they hadn't so I would then re-sync usin the app. Usually if i resized the image (this forcing the sync process to acknowledge a change in the image state) it would sync and the change would appear in the browser.

- the other change in behaviour is that I would stop an wait for syncing to happen and not do anything during the process.

This change seems to work.

Message was edited by: jason rama

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to jason rama

Jason -

Thank-you for the response and detailed information as to your experience and steps taken. We're working on an update that contains numerous improvements around the sync functionality. However, since we have not been able to reproduce the cocoa error 259 consistently, I cannot state that this specific issue has been addressed in the upcoming update. We are continuing our investigation and analysis to ensure that we address any issue that negatively impacts our customers.

Based on the information that you have provided, I would like to clarify the statement:

- bizarrely (and new behavior after reinstall) the app now cycles endlessly through the sync cycle an just won't stop unless manually turned off.

Your experience is that the sync never reaches a complete state but does fully sync your files between the device and the Creative Cloud.

I will continue to keep you updated as to our analysis.  Please do keep us informed as to any additional feedback.

Regards,

Kim Ortiz

Ideas Quality Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Kim McCaw Ortiz

Thank you for your efforts.

distinctive visuals

http://www.saamvisual.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to L C Quarterman

Hey everyone just wanted to say that I am experienceing the same problem. I open Ideas only to find my drawing to be blank and an error message cocoa 259. I guess I should always upload to the cloud so I dont lose any files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to 53ADF

Sorry not an answer but the same problem. I opened an adobe ideas file "feet" after updating to the latest version. My iPad is set to sync to Creative cloud only on wifi (I was on 3G). When I opened the file I noticed that some elements weren't at the same stage as I left them. I worked on the file a little and then closed ideas to foot another app. When I returned to Ideas the file wouldn't open at all and I got the cocoa error 259 message. I closed app and then connected to wifi, opened Ideas again and waited for it to sync ... Still the 259 error. I notice in the first post in this thread that Lynette asks if the file is recoverable by Adobe engineers- was it possible?

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to teachernz1

I have no answers either, but also have the error. Like everybody else, I hope I haven't lost hours and hours of work. I was using Ideas to create some artwork for a project with a very tight deadline, but now it is lost due to error. I did call in for support, thinking that surely there must be something for the Creative Cloud (like I say, tight deadline and kind of an emergency), but there isn't any support. Instead, just support for each individual software package. And no call in support for touch apps

Anyway, can we somehow restore or retrieve older versions of the file from the creative cloud? I did download the corrupted .idea file (which was 3+ megs, so there is information there) from the cloud and tried to open it in Illustrator, Acrobat and Photoshop. Unfortunately, it just crashed those programs.

I believe I was erasing a shape when Ideas crashed. When I relaunched the app after the crash, I got the error message for the file I was working on.

Any help is appreciated, the sooner the better

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to L C Quarterman

I have also just encountered cocoa error 259 in "Collage" on my very first project ......... 

It happened when I switched to another app (Safari) and when I come back into College it was corrupted.  I had a lot of aps running as well as a few videos streaming in through Safari. I had not saved the College"by going back to the home page) -  Also I had not signed up to cloud (and had no Adobe ID at that stage.  I then signed up for an Adobe ID and complementary cloud (btw - whould be great if there was an in app link do do this) and tried syncing to see if that would resolve the issue (obviously it diddn't). 

Could it have something to do with how the Ipad/Collage writes to the drive when there is a lot of stuff going on??  I had the gut feeling that the file was simply fragmented beyond the ability to read.

Apart from this loving the Adobe touch apps.  Any chance of Premier Touch soon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points