Skip navigation
S.Coustette
Currently Being Moderated

Forced threading in text/table cells

May 31, 2012 1:42 PM

I am having a problem with text and table cells in CS5.5 cutting off at the end of the box and creating a forced thread to another box...

It is inconsistently happening and very frustrating! It is possible that I changed something in my settings but I can't figure out what it might have been! Suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to S.Coustette

Not nearly enough information for ust to begin to help you.

What version of ID? What OS?

Can you post a screen shot?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to S.Coustette

That's kind of strange. Did it really break in mid-word?

Please open the story in Story Editor so we can see the first few lines of overset text.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to S.Coustette

Go to Edit-->Edit in Story Editor ,

look for the text there and paste the screen shot here ,to me it seems to be issue becuse of the corrupt preferences however provide the screen shot to understand the issue better.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to S.Coustette

Could you possibly do that for the story that's in the first screen shot that is breaking mid-word?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to S.Coustette

OK, that makes more sense.

The most common reasons for text to disappear like this are you've applied No Break to the whole block of text so it cannot break, or you've used non-breaking spaces between words and tuned off hyphenation, again prevting a line from being able to break anywhere. Next comes indents, either paragraph indents or frame indents, that either leave no space in the column or leave it too narrow to hold text in the size you are using, and then there are Keep Options that can require all of the text to remain together and there just isn't enough height inthe frame to hold it, or there's a restriction to start on an odd or even page that doesn't exist. These are not mutually exlusive, and more than one problem could be present.

Ope the story in Story Editor so you can see and select the first few words of overset text and check for No Break and non-breaking spaces, then check tha paragraph settings for indents and keep options. I don't think you have any frame indents to worry about here (did't really look like paragraph indents, either).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points