Skip navigation
seanmclellan
Currently Being Moderated

Motion blur effect doesn't stop after the comp stops moving...

Jun 30, 2012 9:43 PM

I am animating comps in After Effects CS6, and I'm quickly moving objects across the screen using positioning keyframes and changing size using scaling keyframes.  Most of the time it works great; but sometimes the motion blur effect keeps appearing *after* the object has stopped moving.  Not just for a second -- but forever.  It appears correct when scrubbing on the timeline, but when I render the final output movie, a non-moving object sometimes has motion blur all over it. 

Sometimes I can fix it by un-parenting some layers inside the comp...  other times it doesn't fix it.  Sometimes I just delete it and start over and it works.  Seems more like a bug then something I'm doing wrong, but this is driving me crazy and is really slowing my work down, so I was hoping somebody else had come across this and knows how to fix -- or if it's a bug, if somebody knows if and when an update is coming out that would be fantastic!

I can't find any reference of anybody else having this issue on the Adobe forums or through Google searches...  I also tried on my Mac Pro tower and Macbook Pro laptop in case it was a graphics card issue; it isn't, the exact same problem manifests itself in both areas.  I did just discover that turning continuous raster OFF does seem to fix the problem--but then my vector images are blurry when I zoom in...  and that again sounds more like a bug, not like an incorrect setting. 

I tried calling Adobe, but they told me to post here.  So here I am  

Also, this might be helpful... here is a screen capture of what I'm talking about...  I have this character, and she was on the right side of the screen.  I just moved her position from right to left with motion blur enabled...  and it looks perfect on the timeline, but then when I render the video, it looks like this when she stops moving.  And not just for a second...  I haven't animated her any further and she's just like this for the rest of the entire movie; the effect never goes away.

Screen Shot 2012-06-01 at 2.07.16 PM.png

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to seanmclellan

Are you using an effect called Motion Blur or are you enabling motion blur when rendering?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 11:44 PM   in reply to seanmclellan

Sounds odd. The mention of unparenting fixing some of those issues, however, makes me think that something is going on there. Also of course look for "boomerang" keyframes by verifying everything in the graph editor. Everything else would probably require to see your project hands on. the only otehr thing I can imagine is issues with MP rendering, which would afflict any temporal evaluations, including expressions you may use in your project...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 10:11 PM   in reply to seanmclellan

It's very unusual, and I can't replicate it in my own CS6 installation.  If you post a copy of a project file that exhibits the problem I'm happy to take a look.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to seanmclellan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to seanmclellan

In my case, After Effect CS6 crashes each time I check the motion blur box :-(

I'm running a Macpro 3.1 2X quad-core with 10 GO ram.

I regret this update, everything is slower than with my CS3 version...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to seanmclellan

I think this forum topic might have died by now, but I ran into this problem as well. It is really tricky but I solved it by toggling off the continuously rasterize setting on the comps and the objects that was blurring when not moving within the comp. Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to seanmclellan

Hi,

I don't know if people are still reading this thread, but I encountered the same motionblur issue with After Effects CC today.

It happens when working with motionblur comped vector files in scenes where nothing moves or animates. Continous rasterization on, wich you need in case you want crisp lines when scaling up your artwork. I tried a lot, even rendering out the comp in Media Encoder didn't work.

My sollution was to turn on "Purge every (1) frame" in the 'Secret Menu' (go to After Effects>preferences> hold shift and click on any of the preferences options. You should see the 'Secret Menu' at the bottom.

It takes a bit more time to render, but it does the trick for me right now. Don't forget to turn it off again after rendering.

Hope Adobe comes with a sollution quickly.

Arnout

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to arnout-dh

Hey,

I am also running into the exact same deal... Seems to be effecting only comps that have nested comps inside of them (for me in this situation at least). "Continuously Rasterize" has given me a couple of other headaches (when using the puppet tool). My workaround was to use "Pixel Motion Blur" for this particular layer comp.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points