Skip navigation
oooproductions
Currently Being Moderated

Optimizing FMLE for Mac ?

Jun 2, 2012 8:20 AM

Tags: #live_streaming #flash_media_live_encoder

We use FMLE 3.2 for our webcast on multiple Youtube Pro Channels.

Our I/O devices are Blackmagic Intensity Extreme Thunderbolt for the Macs ( Mac Book Pro 17 inch 2011 iCore 7 )

and Black Magic Ultra Studio SDI via USB3 for the PCs (Sony iCore 5 2011 )

When trying to stream in higher resolutions or higer bitrates (over 350k) with the Mac , it seems the software request nearly all the CPU from the Mac creating a delay in the preview and some jitter

for the user ( loss of frames ).

We can only uses a max of 350k bitrates with the Mac without fluidity issues while we can use the full range of resolutions and bit rates with the PCs even though the

PC are less powerfull than the Macs we use.

Is there a way the optimize the use of the CPU with the Macs? is there a way the use the GPU?

After some test with the new Wirecast for Youtube we realize we don't have those problems as it allows to use the GPU to help the CPU to encode.

We much prefer to use FMLE as it has more bitrate, encoding and resolution option but unfortunately it limits our more powerfull computers to lower bitrates.

What is causing those problems and why is FMLE more ressources hungry with a Mac than with a PC?

Thank you

Renaud DEGUENT

Webcast Operational Manager

Liquid Stream

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to oooproductions

We are considering the new Macbook Pros for use with FMLE and this post definitely has me second guessing our decision.  It seems like such a fundemental issue you report that I am really surprised you haven't received a response to it.  Unless of course this is exactly the kind of retribution that Adobe is aiming for: to dissuade potential Mac customers for fear of incompatibility with FMLE. I have heard other stories of issues with FMLE and the Mac Mountain Lion OS. 

An effective ploy by Adobe...

Patrick Holloway

Executive Producer

Netstreamlive

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to oooproductions

I don't seem to get preview when using FMLE 3.2 and mountainlion with the BM Ultrastudio 3D units.

Stills works ok on our Lion machine and FMLE 3.2.

Both our MBP 15" run the battery down even when plugged in when encoding in Wirecast and FMLE, are either of you experiencing this?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points