• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player buffering problem

New Here ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I play videos from sites like YouTube, the Flash player buffers almost no content. 

On YouTube for example, the slider should gradually change color to show that the video I'm watching is buffering.  It does not. 

If I refresh and watch the Website Storage Settings panel on the Settings Manager page, the "Used" column for YouTube never shows more than 1K used, even if I set the storage limit to "Unlimited", and even if I leave a video paused for 20 minutes.

If I leave a video paused for a long time, then unplug the network/internet cable from the computer, the video only plays for a few seconds before giving me an error message.  I take that to mean that the buffer is emptying right away.

Even though I have a 10Mb/s connection, this is causing problems with HD video such as provided by MLB.com

I can provide a detailed set of steps I followed to test for this problem if requested.  I can also provide screenshots of the Website Storage Settings panel and the final state of the YouTube video after I did the testing.

Computer:  Dell Latitude 6520, i7 processor, 6GB memory, 128GB SSD system disk, Windows 7 Professional

Flash Version 11.2.202.235

Browser:  Firefox 12.0

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that I have been in touch with another user of MLB.com on their support forum.  We both think that the problem I am reporting above is related to the MLB.com "spinning circles" problem.

His thread on this forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4428382#4428382

My threads on the MLB forum regarding this:

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-help01&tid=15112

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=ml-help01&tid=15224

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=ml-help01&tid=15335

I've had to start several threads because after a couple of days threads get moved to an "inactive" heap over there.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.  I am hoping that you and the guys at MLB.com will set up some sort of ongoing cooperation to head off these sorts of problems in the future.

By the way, please note that I live in Thailand and might not be available during normal business hours in your time zone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect your YouTube issue is intentional, please see this post for more details:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4434207#4434207

I'm trying to find someone that can help with the MLB issue.  I don't have access, so I'm unable to personally test this out.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris:

I had the exact same issue with MLB as well as other websites.  The buffer size reported by the Web Storage Settings never increases over a small value no matter how long a video is paused.

I paused this video: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-revenge-of-the-myth-aftershow.html for 10 minutes, and the buffer size never got over 3K.  File size was about 2GB.

Paused this video: http://importfood.com/videos/Radna8.html for at least 10 minutes, and it never showed any buffer size at all.  File size was about 19MB.

Note that the videos above were picked at random from what I could access here in Thailand.

MLB games show no more than 5K buffered no matter how long I leave them paused.

I understand that the Web Settings window might not be an accurate representation of the amount of buffer actually used.  However, if they aren't, the data is a bit misleading IMO

By the way, I can't get back into the forum, it's rejecting my password.  I've requested a new password twice and never got the email.

- Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you guys aren't too concerned about the fact that I can't log on here, and you aren't really interested in having me help you by testing things on a real-world and reporting my results.  Let me know if you change your minds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ray,

Your posts are coming through on the forum fine for me.  What page is rejecting your password?

Btw, here's what I heard back regarding the MLB site:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4440073#4440073

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm replying to the auto-generated email notifications when you post on my thread, and they're appearing on the thread as posts from me.  I can't get past the login page.  Could you please get a password reset email set to me? 

Regarding your statement that the problem seems to be with SwarmCast (actually it's a software product developed by SwarmCast called NexDef), without that software running, games are basically unwatchable.  They pause every few seconds to buffer. 

It's my impression that the NexDef software crashes when the Flash player buffer starves.  However, I have no access to the software and there is no documentation about how it works, so this is of course guesswork

Believe me, if the games would stream properly without NexDef, nobody would use it.  If you could fix that we'd figure a way to chisel your face onto Mount Rushmore. 

Please don't punt and say "it's NexDef, not invented here, not our problem".  If NexDef doesn't work, then fine, please work with the MLB guys to render it unnecessary.  That would be well appreciated by MLB.com and their customers, and generate a LOT of goodwill toward your company and its products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to login via this link: http://forums.adobe.com/adobe_login

If you cannot login, can you try the 'Did you forget your password?' link on that page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Pat:

I have done this 3 or 4 times now.  The password reset email never arrives.  Tried it again in response to this email, same result.  Maybe there's a typo in the email address on my account.  Can you check this for me?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The email address associated with your forum account is the user name you are using in this forum @yahoo.com

However, you receive the forum notifications, which go to the same email address.

Do you also have an Adobe account?  Can you try to login here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat:

I'm trying to be polite, but which part of "I have tried logging in through that page about half a dozen times" am I not being clear about?

When I try to login through that page, my password is rejected.  I then click through until a password reset mail is supposed to be sent, but it never is.

Please somebody get a password reset email sent to me.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wilbur55555 wrote:

I'm trying to be polite, but which part of "I have tried logging in through that page about half a dozen times" am I not being clear about?

The forum login, or the Adobe login?

Anyway, this is not a Flash Player problem, but a general forum problem; try asking here http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forum login, or the Adobe login?

Whichever one you posted.

Anyway, this is not a Flash Player problem, but a general forum problem; try asking here

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

Is it possible to post a question there if I'm not able to login?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we're no longer interested in the fact that I can't logon to the forum?  No response to my test results showing that Flash player doesn't seem to buffer on some sites?  sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wilbur55555, I'm able to see your responses in the forum, so I'm not sure why you aren't able to login.  I assume you're responding via email?

As for your tests, I think you might want to use something like NetLimiter 3 Pro to see the network traffic that is taking place.  That will give you a much better idea if files are streamed, as we might not write the buffer out to disk (and instead keep it in memory).  Hopefully you saw my other posts regarding YouTube and MLB.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"wilbur55555, I'm able to see your

responses in the forum, so I'm not sure why you aren't able to login.  I assume you're responding via email?"

Correct, as I mentioned earlier. 

"As for your tests, I think you might want to use something like NetLimiter 3 Pro to see the network traffic that is taking place..."

OK, I'll have a look at that tool.

"Hopefully you saw my other posts regarding YouTube and MLB."

Yes, at least I THINK I've seen all of them.  Not being able to get onto the board limits what I can respond to.

I've been busy posting on their board.  My latest concerns the fact that Adobe seems to have deployed a capability in Flash player that is similar to NexDef, the ability to dynamically stream content from numerous HTTP servers.  If so, obviously the way forward would be for MLB to abandon the evil, toxic NexDef, and implement your version of "swarm-feeding" content.

I have also contacted their customer service by email, explained the situation, supplied them your email address (which was in a post in the thread started by user "gbye)"and requested they contact you.  Clearly they haven't.  I'll be on the case again today.  Yes, "today" Thailand time, which is overnight for you.

Thanks. 

PS:  A password reset email would make my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I can't send you a password reset, here are the steps you can take to talk with a support person to get this done:

1. Navigate to http://helpx.adobe.com/contact/

2. Select "creative cloud"

3. Select "Signing into my account, or registering my product"

4. Click the "I still need help" button

5. Click the "Chat with an agent" link

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a test I just ran:

- Deleted all sites from Web Storage settings page. No site over 2K, most 1K or "-".

- Started a video, set buffer size to 10Mb.

- Reloaded the Web Storage Settings page. Shows 10Mb size.

- Started a game, paused it.

- Periodically checking Task Manager's Networking page, bandwidth used varies between 0% and 0.05% (100Mbps connection)

- Periodically checking Web Storage Settings page. Buffer never reads over 4K in size.

- Watching ADSL modem, does NOT look like much data passing, "data" lamp stops flashing from time to time.

- Game played for 25 seconds, then stopped.

- Reconnected cable.

- Check Web Storage Settings, 4K buffer size.

- Restart NexDef (to be safe).

- Restart game.

- Monitor Task Manager's Networking page, bandwidth used varies but tops out at around 4% (again 100Mbps connection).

I'd say that the RMS value of the bandwidth used while the game was

streaming was about 2Mbps. If my math skills are still any good, a 10MB buffer being consumed at 2Mbps (assuming the buffer is consumed at

roughly the same rate the game is streamed to me) should hold 50 seconds of game. The game actually ran for 25 seconds before stopping.

Thoughts, anyone?

BTW, Flash Player updated itself yesterday.  While that means that all my prior testing is out the window, it does give me hope that the problems with MLB.com might improve.  I'll try a game during the day (it's 2:10AM Thai as I'm writing this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2012 Jun 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today's result:

- Started Mets - Cards game; took the incredible risk of not restarting NexDef.

- Disabled the auto-quality, moved slider to 3rd segment out of 4.

- Quality so-so.  Deteriorating even before the game has started, after the first break during which no commercials played.

- Server is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (I'm in Thailand).

- Occasional brief pauses.  Looks like Flash player is adjusting the quality even though I unselected the auto-quality mode.

- Game played through to completion.  

Johan Santana throws first no-hitter in Mets history!  Great game to see all the way through.  Well done Johan, darn proud of ya!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today's activities:

- Started Saturday's Mets - Cards game; did not restart NexDef.

- Disabled the auto-quality, moved slider to 3rd segment out of 4. Changed storage capacity to "unlimited".

- NexDef crashed immediately.

- Restarted NexDef. Restarted game. Did nothing else. NexDef crashed immediately.

- Restarted game without restarting NexDef. Disabled auto quality. NexDef crashed immediately.

-

Restarted NexDef. Restarted game. Changed storage back to 10MB.

Disabled auto-quality. NexDef crashed after about 10 seconds, during

"will begin shortly" message.

- Restarted NexDef. Restarted game.

Did nothing else. NexDef crashed after about 10 seconds, during "will

begin shortly" message.

- MLB speed test: 2937, 2950, 2979

- DOS prompt, "ping mlb.mlb.com". Server shows as being in Thailand. 33ms ping time.

- Change DNS server to DNS Advantage.

- DOS prompt, "ping mlb.mlb.com". Server shows as being in Switzerland. 380ms ping time.

- MLB speed test. 7388, 7460, 4139, 4241, 3541, 3920, 3457, 3461, 4172

-

Restarted NexDef. Restarted game. Clicked the "HD" button to watch

what happened. Slider moved itself completely to the right, then to the

middle. NexDef then crashed, after a total of about 10 seconds, during

"will begin shortly" message.

- Restarted NexDef. Restarted game.

Clicked the "HD" button to watch what happened. Slider moved itself

completely to the right, then to the middle. NexDef then crashed, after

a total of about 10 seconds, during "will begin shortly" message.

- 20 minutes gone, not one minute of baseball watched yet.

- Cycled power on computer.

- Deleted Flash Player buffer files.

- Restarted browser. Cleared browser cache.

- Started a highlight video, reset cache to 10MB.

-

Started game. Black screen for maybe 30 seconds, then "buffered 33%"

for maybe 30 seconds, then game loaded. Disabled auto-quality. NexDef

crashed immediately.

- DOS prompt, "ping mlb.mlb.com". Server shows as being in Colorado USA. 260ms ping time.

- MLB speed test: 7640, 7682, 1234, 3772, 3914, 4588, 1437, 3585

- SpeedTest.net to Denver, Colorado: 0.75M, 0.52, 0.85

- SpeedTest.net to Bangkok: 10.4M, 10.5

- Change DNS server back to local ISP.

- DOS prompt, "ping mlb.mlb.com". Server shows as being in Thailand, same IP as before. 40ms ping time.

- MLB speed test: 7511, (20 minite break for supper), 7762, 7635, 8025

-

Restarted NexDef. Restarted game. Disabled auto-quality. NexDef

crashed after about 10 seconds, during "will begin shortly" message.

At the point where I mentioned a dinner break, the girlfriend had come

home from shopping. She has commandeered the TV (on which I watch games via HDMI cable).

Further resistance is futile. MLB FAIL. No baseball will be watched tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile, over on MLB.com, I was asked to install and try the PC-based Boxee player.  Here was my result:

Me:

Installed the Boxee player. When I open it the first thing I get

is some sort of message saying "must have Flash Player installed

...Other browser's version installed." What's the right version?

Tried to watch a game. Unwatchable in either standard or HD, completely

pixelated. It then occurred to me that I had forgotten to kill NexDef. Exited Boxee by closing window. Killed NexDef.

When I

restarted Boxee player it wouldn't let me go to "Settings" or

"Calendar". It then froze (not responding error from Windows). Killed

app and restarted. Got to the calendar but it wouldn't show me games.

Rebooted computer. Killed NexDef immediately. Started Boxee, went to calendar, won't show me games. Won't load "Settings" screen. Pressed

, back to today, tried to return to Calendar, no response.

Tried to exit Boxee politely. It crashed again.

Tried

troubleshooting compatibility. Windows recommended XP SP2. MLB app

wouldn't even launch. Exited; it didn't crash this time.

Just for grins, started NexDef. Restarted Boxee. Now calendar works. Selected same game. Again, horribly pixelated in both standard and high def.

Seems there's good reason they decided not to support Boxee. It also seems

that Boxee doesn't work without NexDef, at least for me.

Ran MLB speed test: 3115, 2722, 2685, 4677, 2831, 4101

MLB server is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Latency from Thailand 104ms.

It's possible that the error message about the Flash Player version is

related to the problems I saw. Please provide a link to the Flash

player I need to run Boxee, then I'll try it again.

MLB:

i believe the version can be found here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

I am not aware of a specific version that Boxee would need installed.

You may want to check with Boxee support if it continues to be an issue. It would probably be best to install the latest version of Flash

Player.

Me:

The site you guys referred me to for downloading the PC Boxee player

says that the player is no longer supported and users who are unwise

enough to use the PC-based player shouldn't bother their support folks with

questions about it. If you guys are going to recommend that we use that player for troubleshooting purposes, you're going to have to be ready

to answer questions about it I'm afraid.

First, that link detects the browser you're using. Assuming that

the Boxee player wants a version other than the Firefox version, that

link doesn't work by just clicking it from Firefox.

I tried

installing it from the evil Internet Explorer. The installation failed

three times, saying "Application In Use". Didn't matter whether I

closed Explorer while the download of Flash Player was in progress.

Got it to install for IE by using the "Other browsers" link from Firefox.

Same problem when I fired up Boxee, wrong Flash version message.

Here's a screenshot: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/BoxeeFail.jpg

Boxee debug attempt = FAIL.

Got another idea?

BTW, these updates would be easier to make if I could log on to your forum.  Just sayin' like...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm back on the forum.  Thanks, Chris for your advice.

What'd I miss? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!  After resetting my password the other day, I came back today and couldn't log in.  Discovered my old password works again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2012 Jun 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this thoroughly,  It contains many measurements that match people's complaints, as well as other useful data.

Today's testing:

- MLB speed test has been reading around 8000K all day.  Ping mlb.mlb.com, server looks like Thailand, 203.153.50.145, 43ms latency.
- Started Mets-Yanks game from June 8.  Changed broadcast to SNY.  NexDef crashed. 
- Restarted NexDef without restarting game. It crashed again.  Left it crashed.
- Game came on. Picture ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. No commercials.
- Top 2, game goes black, spinning circle, then "Media Error: The game is temporarily unavailable".
- Clicked "Archive" in the media player.  Shows games for Thursday, June 7.  Click right-arrow button to advance calendar, no response.  Click left-arrow button to back up calendar, Wednesday's games load.
- I had been watching the "networking" tab of Task Manager.  It showed square pulses of 3.5 - 4Mb/s for about 8 seconds followed by about 2 seconds of 0.  When I went back and looked, the traffic had stopped.
- Killed NexDef process.  Restarted game, back to SNY.  Clicked the line score for top 2.  Screen black.
- Restarted game, back to SNY.  Watching network traffic.  Now, instead of a square wave pulse train with peaks of 3-4Mb/s, traffic is continuous with peaks at about 1Mb and says mostly around 0.3 - 0.4 Mb. Game pauses and starts, pauses and starts, then spinning wheel and goes back to 0.
- Ping mlb.mlb.com, same server, latency 33ms.
- MLB speed test: 334, 345, 229, 184 (note, the test takes 4 minutes to complete).  Task Manager networking tab agrees.  Note that this agrees with my observation while watching the network traffic during the game.
- Speedtest.net to Bangkok: 10.4Mb/s, 10.5, 10.47
- Tried the MLB speed test with IE:  7555
- Immediately back to Firefox: 3652
- Started the same game in IE.  Moved slider all the way to HD.  Pauses and resumes.  Network utilization stays between about 0.8 - 1.5Mb/s continuous. 
- Checked buffer on Flash player, set to 10MB, 4K used as usual.  Confirm .235 version of Flash Player installed.
- MLB speed test in IE: 8132, 7429, 7848
- Immediately to Firefox: 310, 324, 8327, 7924, 2767
- Immediately back to IE: 7117
- Immediately back to Firefox: 7794
- IE: 7881, 7966, 7695
- Firefox: 2946, 2742
- IE: 7755
- Firefox: 313
- IE: 7415
- Firefox: 381
- Firefox and IE simultaneously:  (FF - 3057, IE - 5119), (Firefix - 3238, IE - 5255), (Firefox - 2643, IE - 5434)
- Back to Firefox: 2898, 2852, 2877
- Back to IE: 7768, 7758, 7696, 7738
- Back to Firefox: 7427, 7742, 7890, 2948, 1069
- Back to IE: 7754, 754, 7803, 372, 416
- Back to Firefox: 7344, 7376, 473, 524
- Firefox, Immediate speedtest.net to BKK: 10.5
- Firefox, Immediate MLB: 615
- Firefox, Immediate speedtest.net to BKK: 10.5
- Firefox, Immediate MLB: 359
- IE, MLB: 7849, 7790, 198, 7641, 7598, 555, 7936, 7996, 7893, 969, 7627, 7677
- Note that your speed test often starts out good then deteriorates, quite in line with people's results watching games, including my own. Also note that if I left a browser sitting there for a while to test the other browser, then tried the first browser again, the speed often started out high then deteriorated.
- During the speed testing, I watched the Networking tab in Task Manager.  When I got the high speeds, Windows indicated 11Mb/s at the peak.  This corresponds with speedtest.net.

Bored, quitting.  That lasted at least 2 hours.  Would rather watch baseball but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I started trying to draw conclusions, but I don't want to do that.  What I think is that you and your developers should look these results over VERY carefully. 

Feel free to give me specific tests to run if you want.  Or at least something other than boilerplate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think I'm getting close....

Today:

Based on yesterday's testing I think there is a conflict concerning having multiple tabs open in Firefox that use the Flash player.  Decided to test Firefox with only one tab open for MLB.

- Closed Firefox.  Backed up profile using "MozBackup".  Cleaned out profile using Registry Mechanic. 

- Reooted computer.  Opened Task Manager.  Killed NexDef immediately.  No other computer or application using network or internet.

- Started Firefox, default profile empty.  Opened Mets-Yanks June 9 Fox.  Had to login again as expected.

- With the game on HD, game pauses briefly about every 5 seconds.  Unlike yesterday, when the network traffic was a square wave 8 seconds on, 1 second off, today the network traffic is staying steady around 2Mb/s.

- Moved quality slider left 1 slot.  Spinning circle, game restarted.  Traffic steady but varying a bit more.  Still pausing about every 5 seconds.

- Checked and discovered that the slider had moved back to the far right.  Moved it one slot to the left again.  Game stuttered but didn't restart.  Pauses have disappeared. 

- Picture quality excellent though not quite as perfect.  No commercials.

- Network traffic steady, around 2 Mb/s.  Each vertical mark is 5 seconds: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic1.jpg

- After the buffer fills, the steady state network traffic.  Note the duty cycle: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic2.jpg

- End of first just before the break, network throughput suddenly goes up and back down:  http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic3.jpg

- Based on that last observation, clearly my connection could deliver more throughput if the software demanded it.

- Starting between halves of the 2nd, there comes a disturbance in the force: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic4.jpg

- Turns out that it's the new normal; top 3: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic5.jpg

- Picture quality remains good.

- Bottom 3, network throughput goes to hell, game pausing, resuming, pausing, resuming.  Traffic:  http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic6.jpg

- Pause game, MLB speed test Firefox: 3128, 700, 568

- Immediately to IE, MLB speed test: 7581, 7530, 7328

- Restart Firefox. MLB speed test: 7387, 7929, 7488. 

*** Clearly a software problem in Firefox related to the game. ***

- Close IE.  Restart game in Firefox.  Slider 1 to left.  Pause, click top 4 in line score.  Click Play.  Screen black.  No network traffic.

- Restart game. Quality slider 1 to left. Click game time slider to appx place for top 4.  Game starts.

- Network traffic again staying around 2Mb/s continuous, then starts duty cycle.  Screen shot:   http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic7.jpg

- This time, close main Firefox window leaving only game running in MLB/Flash player in Firefox.  Nothing else running other than Windows Task Manager and snipping tool.

- Picture excellent again.

- End of top 5 throughput spikes up again, then down: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic8.jpg

- Top 7 throughput up again, perhaps Windows or another program checking for updates.  Some is internal net traffic I'm sure too. Screen shot (note the graph as been rescaled): http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic9.jpg

- Bottom 7 traffic up again, drops immediately when I come to the computer and back to MLB duty cycle.  Virus scanner background scans probably.  Screen shot:  http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/BruceMangosteen/misc/NetworkTraffic10.jpg

Terminated game, between 8th and 9th, had to go out.  5 innings of high quality baseball is the best performance I've had all year.

It looks like closing all browser windows except the MLB player works even without NexDef.  Not sure if it helped that I was in a virgin profile, more testing needed.  I think my hypothesis that multiple open tabs/windows, even 2, causes a conflict with the MLB player, is plausible. 

*** NOTE THAT CLOSING ALL BROWSER WINDOWS OTHER THAN THE GAME IS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, ONLY A WORK-AROUND.  ***

I also should not have to move the slider off full HD.  My connection is fine and the ISP is clearly not "shaping" the traffic or fiddling it in any other way.  The software is not demanding more than 2Mb/s of data off the network.

If anybody reading these posts who is having the same problems duplicates my result, please post it on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines