• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS6 clipboard doesn't paste text from other programs, stays 'frozen.'

Participant ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lion Mac Tryout version: After using Illustrator CS6 copy and paste a couple times (just after you start it up), I cannot change the clipboard.

I cannot paste common text in from anywhere. It just pastes again the text from the last time the clipboard worked. I have to restart Illustrator CS6 to get a couple more correct clipboard uses before it repeats the same paste over and over despite what I just copied externally.

I'm having to still use Illustrator CS5.5 because of this. And wonder if updating to the Cloud version will turn off my access to Illustrator CS5.5. Help!

I think I won't be able to upgrade for real if this keeps happening.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

David Cabestany wrote:

Everyone, adobe released today the update for illustrator CS6 that fixes this issue.

Yes, please update to 16.1 / 16.0.1 respectively as that should resolve the issue as we know it.

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/release-note/illustrator-cs6-0-1-release-notes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not happen.

There´s only a simple change in the Illustrator clipboard option for CS6..but it refers to clipboard and exporting after closing the software..not when working...copying...

Do this test please:

Acess Illustrator > Preferences > File Handling & Clipboard.

In the Clipboard on Quit option...enable AICB. Now restart Illustrator and try to work.

Does it change anything?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did the same thing after modifying preferences to AICB and restarting Illustrator. I copy simple text from either Illustrator CS5.5 or acrobat x or indesign (CS5.5 or 6), and on the third try, it  doesn't work. It uses the clipboard from the 2nd attempt (even if you copy text at that point from within Illustrator CS6, it's stuck on older clipboard text, no matter what. (It seems like it works twice, uniquely, then on the third, it repeats forever.) frustrating!

(I've done machine restarts too, trying to get away from this  problem)

(Anything you find out, I'd appreciate it. I'm ok in Illustrator 5.5, but want to move completely to the Cloud offering asap)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with pasting from other programs. 

Copy + paste within Illustrator seems to work ok though.

Very frustrating. May have to go back to 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this problem. Where specifically are you copy and pasting from perhaps you two have a conflict that is common between you.

Have you tried to trash the preferences?

And or restart your Mac?

1. Quit Illustrator.
2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS6 Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..
3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 3.20.27 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rmdtulsa and hi Louis how have you been?

Do you have any clipboard copy and paste manager installed on your system?

Best Regards

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I threw out the Illustrator CS6 preferences folder just now, restarted and could tell it was factory fresh. I still could not paste in any simple clipboard text (a few letters) from Acrobat, Indesign and (I just tried) Stickies--anywhere I can test.

I don't have any special Copy/Paste utilities.

Clipboard seems usable within Illustrator, just not from outside the program whatsoever. I've tried clearing the clipboard, to see if it resets. Nothing changes.

Will upgrading to Creative Cloud, permit me to still use my Illustrator CS5.5? That's my most important question right now. This is holding me up from upgrading. It really cripples mundane Ilustrator use.

(Thank you though, so much, for looking into this...I use CS all day everyday, and was so eager to upgrade) Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youcan still use your old softweare, however try this create a new user account, log into that new user account.

Now try to copy and paste from ID or Acrobat.

The problem should not be there as it does not happen on my Mac running OS 10.7.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never created multiple users before, but I will look it up and try it

(I'm by myself). I've never had a clipboard problem like this! Have been

using it since Illustrator '88. Thank you! Randy

I'm on 10.7.3 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rmdtulsa wrote:

I've never created multiple users before, but I will look it up and try it

(I'm by myself). I've never had a clipboard problem like this! Have been

using it since Illustrator '88. Thank you! Randy

I'm on 10.7.3 as well.

Which is why I think it is a corrupt font or corupt user account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a few old copy/paster utilities on my system. I don't think any of them were actually running, but I deleted them anyways. Restarted my computer and Illustrator.

I now seem to be able to copy text from other apps (Word, Mail, Safari) and paste into Illustrator, but when I try to copy and paste images from another app, Illustrator just pastes the last object that I copied from within Illustrator (vector or image).

I can use drag-and-drop to get images from Safari, Photoshop, etc, but not copy-paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOUIS FISHAUF wrote:

I had a few old copy/paster utilities on my system. I don't think any of them were actually running, but I deleted them anyways. Restarted my computer and Illustrator.

I now seem to be able to copy text from other apps (Word, Mail, Safari) and paste into Illustrator, but when I try to copy and paste images from another app, Illustrator just pastes the last object that I copied from within Illustrator (vector or image).

I can use drag-and-drop to get images from Safari, Photoshop, etc, but not copy-paste.

I disagree with you I definitely think those utilities caused the problem.

I can't help think that this would be something al users would experience if it were an actual bug.

I think the users have problems related to thrid party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade, I deleted those utilities and all associated files (using MacKeeper), so if that was the cause of the problem, that should have solved it.

Unfortunately, it has not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I've never used the various clipboard enhancers, myself)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the clipboard issue have to do with trying to cut/copy/paste elements between a 64-bit application and 32-bit application?

I haven't upgraded to CS6 yet. In CS5.5 I cannot cut/copy/paste elements between Illustrator CS5.1 and the 64-bit version of Photoshop CS5.1. I have to launch the 32-bit version of Photoshop CS5.1 in order to get full clipboard functions between the two applications.

Does CS6 have two variants of Illustrator, 32-bit and 64-bit builds, like Photoshop has had in CS5.5? If there is a 32-bit version of Illustrator in CS6 I would try the clipboard functions with it since Acrobat X and InDesign CS6 are still compiled in 32-bit form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying & pasting text works OK here in Win7 x64, using IL CS6 (64-bit) and the 32-bit EditPlus editor:

IL-paste-test.png

The text was modified successively in E+, copied to the Clipboard and pasted into the IL document.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy paste in and outside Illustrator is working for me. Do you guys use any third party plugin with Illustrator? Is the problem limited to text and images? What happens when you take other stuff to Illustrator(say, an object from Indesign)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter what you are trying to paste in, Illustrator will only

paste the last normal paste, over and over, within itself only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said very clearly in my first reply above, I have no clipboard (copy/paste) managers.  And neither do the people who reported this problem before me in this thread.  So let's please allow that "do you have third part plugins or clipboard hacks" topic to die, shall we?  This is definitely a bug.  And hey, I've found it while using the Trial version, while others here seem to have found it using their purchased copy.

I must say I am really shocked and dismayed more people aren't screaming about this.  It's quite serious. My only consolation is that I've not yet made a purchase.  Even so, I would like to update at some point to gain access to the new features.  I simply won't be doing that until the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is of course it is a bug and not a conflict with other software that these user including yourself might not be telling us about since it clearly is not universal and only a handful of users have experienced this phenomenon which leads me to believe you guys are using things like free fonts or some odd utility software and any claim to not having any other software on your computer except the trial version of AI CS 6 is not going to fly.

from experience this definitely sounds like a conflict and I suggest you not upgrde until this is fixed which will not happen since I do not believe it is a bug.

Why we just wait and see who is correct!

If you wish to reprt it as a bug why don't you do so it will not be addressed by posting in the user to user forum in case you do not know that but will i it is a bug and you report it on the bug reprot page.

Giood luck. There is nothing anyone here cn do on this end you have to disable what ever is causing this on your end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a clipboard program - which is working perfectly in every other program CuteClips. as I had read about other's in this thread either not having it or disabling and still having the problem I do not believe that CuteClips is to blame in fact went over the entire program with the developer before I realized that the problem is totally owned by Illustrator.

That said - I can copy and paste from all other programs into Illustrator when I have restarted Illustrator and it is behaving - which it is doing now. When it goes off - it gets stuck on the first item copied that session and will not paste anything else that may have been copied next.

When it isn't working it is impossible to work with…. and so think I had been dragging and dropping when it wasn't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now you are not making sense when you have program you know can easily cause the problem ad you stand on your head and in every other configuration possible o mek it look like it is not related then you will be stuck with the problem.

IO have beta tested for many years for various developers who produce plug ins and utlities of all sorts and i can tell you whe you tell these developers that they have such a problem or conflict they act like you do the refuse to believe it or worse yet accept the responsibilty that they have caused an issue for their customers. If I send the bug reprt to them three or four times they will almost always acknowledge it but often they simply do not know how to fix the problem and that could mean they will loose their ability to stay in business so theysometimes do not admit it.

Like it or not that is the way it is and I have many years experince with this process and this is a conflict regardless of what anyone is posting here about their systems and what they have installed on their computer.

It really sounds like a thrid party conflict and i think you found it like or not.

I doubt that Adobe will fix a bug that does not exist and they cannot do it for software that they do not develope.

Pretty logical. No?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not had a problem 'yet' since upgrading Illustrator yesterday.

Are you always so nasty?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scoop_hk,

CuteClips is causing the problem at your end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about all of the other people that have disabled and deleted their programs and seen no difference - that have been on this thread?

As I said have had no problem since I updated Illustrator yesterday - but haven't used it enough to be sure.

If not CuteClips - what do you use for a very simple multiple pasting program that works well with Illustrator - I do love my CuteClips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines