Skip navigation
Chaloujie
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 .psd files help

Jun 3, 2012 11:22 AM

Hi, I am new on here so please excuse if this is posted in the wrong area, I have no idea where to post this.

I Have Photoshop CS6 Extended (on Windows 7 - 64bit).

But it does not open my .psd files, only if I run Photoshop CS6 and go File > Open > "and then open the file", it will open, but If I go to the file it self it does not recognize CS6 as the default program or to open it. It tells me it cannot find a program to open the .psd file with. I have tried several times to set the Default Program but it is not even there and if I click on "browse" to find Photoshop and click "open" it does not open or show Photoshop in the Default Programs.

Now I accidently clicked on coreldraw and I don't want my .psd files opening with coreldraw! because I hardly use coreldraw, I only needed it for my studies...

When I had CS5 it worked and opened fine, with CS6 the .psd files just don't find Photoshop.

Can anyone help me please, how can I fix this so that my .psd files get recognized?

Please it is quite frustrating.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Chaloujie

Could be a file association problem.  Go to Bridge edit/preferences/file type associations and put in CS6 for default program for .psd.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Chaloujie

Did you unistall a previous PS version once CS6 was installed?  That can cause file association problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Chaloujie

You can either uninstall and run Adobe script cleaner and then reinstall CS6 or do a registry change. 

See this link, and for registry change see post # 9.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004672?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Chaloujie

The registry is in the OS not Photoshop.

Look in OS help on how to get there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to Chaloujie

Just curious, did you try the registry change, and did it work?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points