Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6 and AVCHD - Should I upgrade or wait?

Jun 3, 2012 9:16 AM

Hi All

I currently use Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on a Mac Pro and OS 10.7.3. Most of my footage now is AVCHD, from various camcorders, including Sony FS100 as well as several Panasonic and Canon at 24P, 30P and 60P at 17mb/s to 28mp/s bitrates and LPCM and AVCHD audio. I also do use XDCAM EX and Canon DSLR H.264 footage.

I'm really wanting to upgrade to CS6, it looks fantastic, however I have heard reports of various bugs that make it work less efficiently or not at all with AVCHD footage. Maybe the latest upgrades fix these issues, but I'd like to get some input from people who have actually used CS6 with Mac OS 10.7 and AVCHD files. I don't want to transcode first, this was my primary reason to switch from FCP to Premiere Pro a couple of years ago, don't want to go back!

Thanks much for any and all advice you can give me.

-Keith

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to Keith Moreau

The user friendliness is awesome and the reason why I upgraded, but if AVCHD is your concern (which is the only format I work with these days)....there are no new improvements with this format.  Adobe Premiere implemented this format in 5.0 and some tweaks in 5.5.

Best wishes to you.

BTW:  I quit with the upgrade every two years game and bought the cloud version for $30 a month.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Keith Moreau

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004369?tstart=0

Adobe is working on the problem... I have not, yet, seen anyone say the problem is fixed

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Things got a little better with the 6.0.1 update, but the issue is essentially still there.  If you have spanned clips, you may want to wait a little longer because you really will need to transcode those to work in CS6.  If you don't have any spanned clips, then by all means, upgrade now.  CS6 offers some major improvements.  (And some annoyances, but overall still well worth it.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 10:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim, wich format would you recomment trancoding to if one would choose this?

Thanks

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to UlfLaursen

UT files.  It's a free, lossless codec you'll have to install yourself.  But they play nice with Adobe software, so it's OK

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thanks Jim - will get it :)

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Please forgive my stupid question. How can I install UT codec on PP CS5.5? I am tired of losing quality when I render native AVCHD file into anything else in PP's list of formats. Specifically, the problem is uploading to Youtube, which degrades quality beoynd belief. I tried all the combinations of formats/codecs and not yet happy with anything. Can I install UT codec to PP 5.5? Can I render/export final project in this codec? Once again, sorry for naive questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Nancy\'sWorld

Download the codec and run the executable.

However, the files will likely be FAR to large for a YouTube upload.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to Nancy\'sWorld

I think this Lossless Codecs http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797 has links

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to Nancy\'sWorld

Nancy

I'n not Jim but I have played with it too.

You dwnload the installer, and install it on the PC whenyou export you find the codec under AVI files ad you chose the UT codec.

I think it is pretty fast to encode, the files are not huge, and the quality is good

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Wow, you are fast! Thanks! I am willing to try large files, I am just sick and tired of YT degradation. YT does not play well with AVCHD native files. Any other suggestions on the best formats/codecs to export AVCHD files? I used to like .m2ts in Sony Vegas Pro, but PP does not have quite the same format.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to UlfLaursen

Ulf,

Thank you! I am hoping I found what I have been looking for a long time now! Thanks for the fast responce!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to UlfLaursen

I will shoot another question. Does replacing PP composition with AE compositions (plus applying filters) degrade quality? I never noticed so, but know I wonder...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to Nancy\'sWorld

That would depend on the filter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Mainly RedGiant Looks, which I could use in PP, I just prefer some text options in AE more.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Nancy\'sWorld

Well, the grain option of that effect would cause a loss of quality, but then that would be the desired outcome of using it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thanks, Jim. No grain used. Just basic exposure/gamma/color contrast etc. Anyways, going to try out UT codec today. Thanks again for all the help! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Nancy\'sWorld

AVCHD files will never be supported by Adobe until it becomes profitable. Until then they will spin and dance and tell you your computer processor is too slow, or you don't have enough ram or you have the wrong operating system or you have to transcode or buy some more software or hardware... Just like Avid.

I lost thousands of dollars with Avid and wound up throwing my Avid Media Composer in the garbage. Funny... there it seemed to fit fine.

Complacency and greed killed Avid and now it looks like complacency and greed have their sights on Adobe.

Remember: There is a season for all things.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to BlueScarecrow

BlueScarecrow wrote:

AVCHD files will never be supported by Adobe until it becomes profitable. Until then they will spin and dance and tell you your computer processor is too slow, or you don't have enough ram or you have the wrong operating system or you have to transcode or buy some more software or hardware... Just like Avid.

I lost thousands of dollars with Avid and wound up throwing my Avid Media Composer in the garbage. Funny... there it seemed to fit fine.

Complacency and greed killed Avid and now it looks like complacency and greed have their sights on Adobe.

Remember: There is a season for all things.

I wish you could see how hard we are working on this problem. When there are issues affecting a lot of our customers, we definitely know about it. If that issue is taking a long time to fix, know that there are often times other parties holding up the show. On behalf of Adobe, I apologize that this problem is persisting. We hope to find a fix as soon as possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to BlueScarecrow

>AVCHD files will never be supported by Adobe

I use PPro 5.0.3 to edit AVCHD from a Canon Vixia HFS100 with zero problems... of course, I am a home hobbyist shooting short family clips that I combine on the timeline, so I currently have no experience with >4Gig "spanned" clips

A program bug is not the same thing as "will never be supported"

I do not work for Adobe so I have NO idea what source code changes were made between CS5-CS5.5-CS6 but my understanding is that CS6 added new features, and new codec support, so finding a bug is very likely going to take time

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Hope? Hmmmm.

I was hoping to make a career for myself in video production. I invested 10 years and thousands of dollars in Avid and got the same runaround that's evident on this forum. Everytime the software crashed Avid told me to buy something else; that same thread is evident here also.

For a huge conglomerate like Adobe, with all of it's resources, to sit back and hope to find, wish to discover or stumble across a solution is absolutely unconscionable.

The thousands of people that have invested in Adobe need a little better treatment than that.

Ps.

Along time ago I wished out loud in front of my Grandmother.

My Grandmother told me... "Wish in one hand and spit in the other; and see which one fills up the fastest.

God... I love forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 4:38 PM   in reply to Keith Moreau

Keith Moreau wrote:

Kevin, thanks for your post. Wow, I posted this 7 months ago and the spanned AVCHD problem still isn't fixed in CS 6? That's incredible. Tell me I'm misinterpreting your answer.

Thanks much!

-Keith

Hi Keith,

As an editor that came into the world of software engineering, yes, it is incredible how long things take to fix, change, or upgrade. As I mentioned, sometimes there are road blocks that we have no control over, so that takes more time. This is on my Top Issues list, meaning that it is a top priority for the community. Again, I'm sorry this issue is affecting so many of our users.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to BlueScarecrow

BlueScarecrow wrote:

Hope? Hmmmm.

I was hoping to make a career for myself in video production. I invested 10 years and thousands of dollars in Avid and got the same runaround that's evident on this forum. Everytime the software crashed Avid told me to buy something else; that same thread is evident here also.

For a huge conglomerate like Adobe, with all of it's resources, to sit back and hope to find, wish to discover or stumble across a solution is absolutely unconscionable.

Pardon me, I didn't mean to say we hope to find a fix. We have a fix. We are just waiting for third-parties to fix their stuff, so we can fix our stuff. Let's hope it gets into an update or CS Next. In the mean time, yep, file a bug report: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Dear Kevin,

Over 4 months has passed since my post on Adobe AVCHD issues. You wrote that Adobe has a fix regarding AVCHD files. Please tell me where it is.

Thanks!

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to BlueScarecrow

The fix has been implemented for the new Premiere Pro CC version due out June 17th.

It may or may not get back-ported into CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 6:56 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Where do you get your info?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to rmartin215

hello @ John T Smith

i use 5.03 currently on a win 7 machine

with canon vixia hfs20 camaeras

i have only shot a few times with spanned clips

and didn't edit them, so i don't know if i have the avchd problem or not

have you updated to cs6 PPRO?  what are your thoughts please?

i don't think it is fair when adobe staff say earlier in this post in january that there is a fix

for cs6, yet it will only be released via the new PPRO version (and the problem originated

in cs6)

i love PPRO 5.03, but want to use Encore64 bit, and x264pro...

would love to hear from you

cheers, j

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to rmartin215

rmartin215 wrote:

Where do you get your info?

Hi martin215,

We announced it in another thread.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

tfi productions 44 wrote:

i don't think it is fair when adobe staff say earlier in this post in january that there is a fix

for cs6, yet it will only be released via the new PPRO version (and the problem originated

in cs6)

Hi tfi productions 44,

The fix is in Premiere Pro CC, it's not in Premiere Pro CS6. As I've explained in another post, there was a major architectural change that had to take place to get the fix in, so a fix for CS6 is not trivial, it's extremely complex. That said, please create a feature request to add your voice to those wanting a fix in a Premiere Pro CS6 update: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

hello,

et tu, brute? et tu, adobe?

j

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

tfi productions 44,

Only the messenger here: Just trying to get you the latest info is all. The few Adobe employees that are in these forums are in support, quality engineering, etc. We have no control or influence over pricing or subscription models.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

hello,

i am on my best behavior but wanted to say something...

by definition:  a fix is for when something is that was not broken breaks

how the adobe godhead sleeps at night is beyond me

hopefully all will be well in the state of denmark...

is there a list of cameras that have/have not issues with the avchd spanned clips?

i use canon hfs20 vixias

thanks, j

ps the serenity prayer comes in handy a lot now

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

The Adobe GodHead (CEO) sleeps very well at night. takes home a wonderful

salary. and takes many a vacation thanks to all of us suckers that buy into

Adobe's buggy software.

A forum is a place to let it out not hold it in. This doesn't mean foul

language, but it does mean telling it like it is.

I've heard that the AVCHD fix is due 17 June of this year; only in the CC

version.

This means that there will be a constant fire under your but to make that

monthly payment; if not. you're out; and if you had any files in the cloud,

you'll have to re-up to get em out. Ouch!

I went through all of this with Avid for a decade and in the end I was the

loser and the CEO was the winner.

Don't buy anything until you see it work.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to BlueScarecrow

hello,

if i download the trial cs6 PPRO

and load up 'spanned' clips will i see the bug?

i've heard some cameras aren't susceptible

but then again, it's the principle of the matter really

how can you break something and not fix it

or charge people money to fix it?

that's like a dentist hitting you really hard

in the face with a baseball bat and then

handing you his business card, working hours,

and a coupon while offering to give you a lift...

cheers, j

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin, you say the fix is not trivial, but it was not broken in CS 5.5. Adobe broke it in degrading upgrading the product to version 6. You make it sound like Adobe would have been making some heroic above-and-beyond the call of duty effort to merely preserve the proper handling of AVCHD spanned clips. Moreover, Adobe now has a fixed version of premiere but refuses to make it available for free to the victims of the blunders it made in its haste to push CS6 out the door.

Let me ask a question: is Avid paying you guys, or are you doing this freely?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

No, the trial version won't handle AVCHD clips AT ALL, you have to transcode.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points