Skip navigation

Pagemaker and Windows 7

Dec 7, 2011 5:39 PM

Tags: #pagemaker7.0.1 #pagemaker
  Latest reply: CheryleDKing, Jun 15, 2012 4:40 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to BigJohnD

And also blocking outgoing private messages? Don't know;¡ but I don't like this type of coincidence.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to Claudio González

No spaces.   (.com)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to BigJohnD

You know, I’m thinking SOMETHING is blocking a lot of my stuff.  And it takes a long, long time to even get to a site.  Could it be my browser?  It seems there is something running in the background, but I can’t see what it is.  I’m getting so desperate I’ve asked a guy that says he know all about this stuff to come over and show me how to handle Windows 7.  I hope he knows as much as you guys.  Even a smidgen ~

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Me, too neither.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Cheryle, this is the address I used:

cking004&socalXcom

(no spaces anywhere), where I have replaced here for your protection the "at" by the "and" sign, and the single dot by an X

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Cheryle, have checked your hard disk(s) for viruses? Have you "optimized" them (by defragmenting them)? Have you got rid of all the rubish left by websites? Have you...? I would suggest that, if you cannot do a proper maintenance of your computer yourself, then you pay someone to do it for you. Or get a knowledgeable friend to do it for you.

And please tell me what's wrong with the email address I used...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to Claudio González

I will certainly take your advice.  And I don’t know what’s wrong with the email address you used.  In fact, I don’t know what address you did use.  I don’t know how I can tell you what it is.  Big John said its not wise to just blatantly put it out there, so . . .

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Most of that is right except for .rr.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:55 PM   in reply to Claudio González

I had a few changes made and thought I might be able to get to you privately.  However, my options were in Spanish and, like I had told you, I am not fortunate enough to be bi-lingual.  Now what?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I am running PM7 on a MacBook Pro with Partallels and Windows 7 Pro. I have no problems at all, except that the build booklet function crashes the program with

Exception Code:          c0000005

Exception Offset:          0037367b

I had been using PM7 on a Windows machine that came with Vista and that I subsequently upgraded to Windows 7. I use PM once monthly to produce a 24-page magazine. Sometime following the upgrade to Windows 7, after two or three successful editions and booklet productions, the booklet function started to malfunction. It has not worked since. It never worked since I exported all my PC programs to my MacBook Pro Parallels virtual machine, although PM7 continues to work in all other respects.

Does anyone here have any solutions to this problem. Manually creating the booklet is a royal pain, since I have to change the format for every paragraph that continues across from one page to another.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to argeew

If I were you, I would try Win XP or earlier. You have been warned for about ten years that PageMaker is a dead program, and it's only days since they closed the upgrade path to InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to argeew

The solution is stop using ancient software on a new computer.

It’s been discussed to death…which part of it of don’t you understand?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

No need for rudeness, Gentlemen. I asked a legitimate question about a problem that has NOT been discussed here. My error code is not the same as the other error codes I have seen discussed. I understand that InDesign will solve the problem, but what I now have does the job, and for the immediate timeframe, there is otherwise no need to invest in a more expensive program. It woud be nice to discover an actual solution instead of being scolded.

(BTW -- I started working with computers in 1966. When did you guys get started?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to argeew

One workaround would be to  export your magazine to pdf then place thate pdf into a new pagemaker document in booklet order (after you've done this once you can use the new pagemaker document as a template).  This assumes that you can export pdf files, which is not always the case in win 7. This workaround  was  notoriously slow, pagemaker's pdf capabilities were laughable, creating huge files for every placed pdf, It may be helped by a faster computer. Your results may vary, you can fight planned obsolescence for only so long, I wouldn't imagine that your old punch cards still work.

I just remembered the most common failure for build booklet was having anything that crossed the spine, and or

extra items on the pasteboard

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to argeew

I am sorry if you see rudeness in my answer, because rudeness does not go with my stile. I did offer you a solution which apparently you don't like.

You must remember that none of the regular participants in this forum has been using PageMaker for many years now, so we have no direct experience on the difficulties one can face when using such an ancient program under modern OSs. We do know, through the hundreds of messages posted here, that many people cannot even install PM in modern systems, that many others manage to install it but not to work faultlessly, and that some install it and run it without any problem. What one gets seems to me to be just a matter of luck, but simple logic also makes me think that to insist on using a program that has not seen any development for more than ten years is just playing with fire. Failures such as the one you report are to be expected, and any help to overcome them must come from those who claim to use PM with modern OSs, not from those who no longer use it. Unfortunately, such help seems to be very scarce.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to argeew

Your problem is even worse than those discussed here. You've added a new layer of complexity to software designed to run on XP at the very, very latest. If you find that rude, sorry. But that's just the way it is and it's been answered over and over and over again.,

And contrary to your claims, PM doesn't do what you need it to or you wouldn't be here...and you were given the two solutions.

Upgrade the software or downgrade the computer.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Actually, the PDF export capability of PM7 as I am using it is fully functional, and works very well. There is an easier way to do what you suggest: Simply reorder the pages in PM, and then export to PDF. The problem with both approaches is that neither produces a "booklet." A "booklet" is a PDF document (or PM document) constructed as if you had removed the staples from the finished product, taken the double pages (printed front and back) and put them in order as a new document.

In my case, the document is 24 8.5 x 6 pages. The booklet consists of 12 8.5 x 12 pages, properly ordered for front and back printing and assembling. PM used to accomplish this flawlessly. Based upon what I have read here, there must have been a change in Windows 7 early on that prevents PM7 from doing this now.

Here's the thing, guys: When a person doing a task has a product (be it software of shovel) that accomplishes the task to perfection, there is no need to "upgrade" the product just for the sake of using the latest and greatest. Of course I see the advantages of upgrading to InDesign, but I edit the magazine of a stodgy old Los Angeles Club that caters to aging adventurers (The Los Angeles Adventurers' Club). I use PM7 ONLY for this monthly task. It is not worth it to me to pay the expense of an upgrade, so unless I can convince the Club Board to pay for it, I am stuck with PM7. When PM7 stopped performing the final step in my production process, naturally, I turned to the internet to find a solution. Since you guys seem expert and knowledgable, I decided to ask. It really would have been nice to receive a cordial reception and some useful suggestions on how to solve the problem rather than the sarcasm and rudeness I have experienced here. I completely understand that you guys are giving of your time to be here (thanks for that), so go a step further and actually assist people like me who are genuinely looking for solutions within the PM7 framework.

I'm still hoping that someone might come up with a workaround that will make the build-booklet plug-in start working again. Going back to XP in not feasible with my current setup. I really am stuck with Windows 7. I thought of getting a MAC version of PM7 on eBay for a few dollars and seeing if it works there, but I don't want to spend very much, and don't want to waste the Club's funds just to try it out.

Thanks for your suggestions. Please let me know if you think of anything else.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to argeew

PM for Mac will only run in Classic…something Apple killed long ago.

So don’t waste your money.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to argeew

Argeew...

Excellent post. Same thoughts as many of us PM fans have had for many, many moons.

But I do have a suggestion to help you with your club newsletters, if you have all the old editions in PDF form as I interpret from your posts.

I create new and edit old newsletters in Serif PagePlus X6, available from Serif.com. I even pick up sections from 2 or 3 old issues and place them in a new issue (step-by-step below). Version 5X which works just as well on most stuff, now costs less than $50. You need it because...

1. Start program and hit New..

2. Go to Insert Menu and select PDF.

3. Browse to location of issue you wish to edit and click on it.

4. Follow easy prompts and bingo, you have "placed" one or all pages of the PDF in your new document. Hit UNgroup.

5. Now you can edit the text, change photos and colors, insert new stories, edit the masthead and folios, group and ungroup, tilt and skew, and make any changes you want including fonts, sizes, spacing, etc.

6. Save under new name. Then click PDF button and it makes a new PDF file for you with all your editing and the old stuff you placed.

7. Use any old issue (if it's in PDF form) as a template for new issues.

This is such an easy solution and I've used it for hundreds of PM6.5 pubs. I've posted this info in this forum on several occasions, but the "sarcasm and rudeness" to which you refer continues with no reference to Serif as a possibly helpful solution. BTW, I do not own Serif stock!

I wish you well. E-mail me if you have further questions.

René Gnam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to ReneGnam

If you read the threads here you will absolutely find references not only to Serif PagePlus but to the open source Scribus as well.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

IIRC, such references were in response to my posts.

But merely having references does not atone for the fact that none of the "resident gurus" (my term) cited Serif as a possible solution for Argeew and others who have recoiled similarly when issued sarcasm and rudeness. Argeew is right. But it's a shame that he/she is right.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to argeew

argeew wrote:

Actually, the PDF export capability of PM7 as I am using it is fully functional, and works very well. There is an easier way to do what you suggest: Simply reorder the pages in PM, and then export to PDF. The problem with both approaches is that neither produces a "booklet." A "booklet" is a PDF document (or PM document) constructed as if you had removed the staples from the finished product, taken the double pages (printed front and back) and put them in order as a new document.

In my case, the document is 24 8.5 x 6 pages. The booklet consists of 12 8.5 x 12 pages, properly ordered for front and back printing and assembling. PM used to accomplish this flawlessly. Based upon what I have read here, there must have been a change in Windows 7 early on that prevents PM7 from doing this now.

I will try to explain a little clearer. Make a pdf of the 8.5 by 6 booklet,  make a new pagemaker document at 8.5 by 12  and place the pdf  with two pdfs  to a page in booklet order .

24   1

2    23

22    3

4     21

etc

this will get you a basic booklet (no accounting for page creep), and while it is a bit of a pain to setup, once you have set one up you can use the 8.5 by 12 document as a template by replacing the pdf document with a new one of the same name.

here is an example started in indesign, but you should be able to get the idea. this is two pages of the booklet (4 of the document)

sailing.jpg

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Now...that's what I call HELP. Thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate this.

I am currently discussing upgrading to CS6 with Adobe. They are have some difficulty understanding that I have used the program for over 30 years, and that they might be able to find a way to give me a full version for a significant discount -- just because they like my loyalty, etc. I am rather surprised at the recalcitrance I have experienced thus far up to the supervisor level -- they are polite and friendly, but no cigars! My request has been escalated to a "higher level," but Customer Service Supervisor Mark tells me that they rarely grant such requests. Seems to me that they coud get a lot of significant PR from making nice to me...but what do I know about Adobe Corporate Culture?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to argeew

Nothing with nothing but a Pagemaker user does not exactly qualify as a loyal customer. Loyalty, for better or worse, is measured in dollars. And keep in mind that you've had ten years to get upsell pricing from Pagemaker to InDesign.

What you may want to consider is downloading the trial version and using it for 30 days to see if fits you needs. You can learn more by visiting Lynda.com and watching some of the videos there. This link will get you a free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Additionally, Creative Cloud, at only $50/month is a bargain for what you get...in your case it may be overkill but it's worth considering.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I get your point about "loyalty." I hope Adobe will get mine.

Thanks for the additional links.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I was told by Adobe that although they no longer offer the InDesign CS5.5 Upsell (PageMaker), many of their resellers do offer it. I canvassed most of them yesterday. None have the Windows version, although several still have the Mac version. So...my question to you guys is: Can I use the Mac version of the upgrade to upgrade from my Windows Pagemaker 7 to InDesign CS5.5 Mac? Does the upgrade physically look for the Pagemaker program, or does it simply require the serial number of the Pagemaker program (as does the Pagemaker upgrade from 6.5 to 7)? I suspect that if it only requires the serial number, that I may be able to install the upgrade on my Mac. Also, if it is just looking for a registered serial number, will it accept the Windows number?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to argeew

This has to be done on the same platform as far as I know.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to argeew

1966!  Holy Moley!!  You must know literally everything there is to know about computers.  I’d love

to trade brains with you for awhile (but you’d be getting a bad deal. . .unless you can do ‘Valley girl’)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points