Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

Jun 3, 2012 9:12 AM

It looks like there are 4-6 disjointed threads about some big problems Mac users are finding with CS6 (and 6.0.1)  To give us a better place to figure out solutions and for others to find with a search, maybe we can post a discussion here.

The Adobe engineers are participating and receiving crash logs, and hopefully a pattern can develop.

I'm on a MacPro 4,1, Lion 10.7.4, CS6.0.1, 32GB RAM, GTX 285 with the latest nVidia and CUDA drivers.  I am seeing 2 primary issues:

Lots of Serious Error crashes.  This happens without any noticeable pattern - sometimes with the title tool, trim monitor, or simply just scrubbing the timeline.  It seems to happen more frequently with Dynamic Links in the timeline.  Also, I believe it is happening more often (or maybe exclusively)  with the MPE GPU option enabled.  I think in Software Only mode, it may not be present, although further testing required.

Also, I am having an issue where Pr will display black only in the source and program monitors, unless I click around the timeline and will get flashes of images.  This is remedied by changing over to Software Only for the MPE.  It seems to be worse if Safari is running.

Wil - an Adobe engineer - has taken a look at my crash logs and seems to think something is funky with the graphcs drivers in both cases, but crash logs from other users seem to not agree. 

CS6 on the mac - for  me and a few others - is incredibly flaky.  If you are having issues, can you post and explain what you are seeing and what your hardware/driver config is.  Any patterns we can find will help the engineers troubleshoot and get this taken care of. 

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to needles27

My system is a Mac Pro 5,1, Lion 10.7.4, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4000 with the latest nvidia and CUDA drivers.  My project is entirely comprised of dynamic links with After Effects for the video and Audition for the Audio.  I converted all the video clips to AE C6 and imported them fresh. Havent done so with the audio, as it's a more complicated surgery.

My problems are four:

1) Premiere Pro CS6 is painfully slow. I installed the Quadro soon after CS6 came out to take advantage of the expanded CUDA functions. That plus PP was crawling with the ATI Radeon card that shipped with my computer. Doing anything, even nudging a clip dowm the timeline resulted in a spinning beachball. The CUDA card had a negligible effect (it might be slightly faster than the ATI but it's also less stable). Some beachballs never went away and I had to force quit. I tried clearing caches, reinstalling, doing PRAM resets, repairing permissions (even inside the terminal), opening in safe mode and all the other things people suggest. It got slightly better with the last update patch from Adobe, but only slightly. I stilll have to hold onto a clip and wait for the beachball to stop spinning to move it.

2) Premiere Pro CS6 crashes. It got to the point where I was getting "serious error" messages without doing anything. Wil is looking at my crash report.

3) Premiere Pro CS6 can't render clips that rendered without issue in PP5.5. I get compiling errors midway through. These may be related to a Video Copilot plugin effect called Twitch. I'm testing this.

4) Premiere Pro CS6 and Dynamic Link constantly lose track of my clips. The media is incredibly slow to load with lots of italicized "pendings" that last longer than five minutes. Some clips never load. Others claim to be loaded but show "Media Offline" in the project panel and timeline. I relink these one by one, which is a slow process (still can't figure out how to relink all files at once the way Final Cut and Aperture do). Sometimes relinking works and other times it knocks other things that were linked offline. Things that were rendered earlier with "Render Entire Workspce" are rarely if ever rendered the next time I open the project. Sometimes a compiling error (see (3) above) will knock all the clips offline, resulting in a sea of red tiles. This and the crashing are the worst.

All of my problems seem related to Dynamic Link. None occurred in CS5.5. I'm guessing the Dynamic Link engine was reinvented somehow in CS6 that's ill-considered, buggy, and possibly unstable.  For instance, did DL always render linked clips in CS6 in the background via the After Effects render engine?  Why does it restrict that engine to a single core when rendering via Premier Pro but use all the cores when rendering in After Effects? It must be hard to get consistency across the suite but I was hoping CS6 would clean some of this up, like that page down would advance a frame the way it does in AE or that AE would do it with the right arrow like PP. Or that the spacebar would convert the arrow to a dragging hand in PP like it does in AE.  The pieces of the suite aren't as coordinated as they could be, and Dynamic Link, on my system at least, is a disaster.

I couldn't stand Final Cut Pro X and switched to CS5.5.  It was a move I was very happy with for a long time, but CS6 has me seriously considering going back to FCP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to genefama

All of my problems seem related to Dynamic Link. None occurred in CS5.5

but CS6 has me seriously considering going back to FCP.

Wouldn't it be easier to go back to CS5.5 until CS6 is fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to needles27

My main issue thus far has been the lagged timeline/program monitor during playback or scrubbing.  I made a 2.5 minute clip of the issues I was seeing, but there's no audio with it.  I was going to do a voice-over with it, but I kept tripping over myself that I gave up.

Note at around 24 seconds or so: I hit the HOME key to reset the timeline, and the program monitor stays where it was.  I can even scrub a bit forward and it takes the monitor a tick or two to catch up.  Hit the HOME key again, and the monitor stays where it was.

Interestingly: when I grabbed the Mac CPU monitor and dragged it over top of the Premiere Pro window, the program monitor reset itself.  Playback and scrubbing seem to go OK for a bit until I jump ahead in the timeline (1:18 in the Youtube video).  I hit the PLAY key and it rights itself and starts playing properly.  Scrubbing seems to work well.

1:46 in the video: I hit the HOME key again, and the program monitor once again stays put.  Hitting the PLAY button resets it, but the video doesn't actually play in the monitor for a second or two, then is very choppy catching up.

Rig:

Modified Mac Pro with 2 X5690 Xeons

48G of RAM, 16 of which are in a RAM drive for scratch space

SSD for OS and apps only

1TB mirrored volume (7200RPM drives) for media

GTX570 card with nVidia's (not Apple's) latest drivers

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to tclark513

tclark,  Maybe. I tried it briefly and some of the errors seemed to have transferred over.  I have enough effects work to do that I can focus on After Effects for the time being. So far AE CS6 is much less temperamental than PP CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to needles27

What you all seem to have in common is lots of RAM.  So, have you checked your RAM to make sure you don't have a bad stick? 

That could cause all kinds of havoc.  I had a stick go bad in a G4, and it about drove me crazy until I finally ran a RAM test.

You all have Macs, too.  Have you run Disk Warrior?  I've had problems with Pr CS5.5 that were apparently related to bad directories, because running DW fixed them, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Needles and Jim,

Good suggestions.  I'll test them first thing tomorrow.  The software-only didn't help last I tried it, but it could be a possible culprit. I'll test it too.

g

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim -

Jim Curtis wrote:

What you all seem to have in common is lots of RAM.  So, have you checked your RAM to make sure you don't have a bad stick? 

That could cause all kinds of havoc.  I had a stick go bad in a G4, and it about drove me crazy until I finally ran a RAM test.

You all have Macs, too.  Have you run Disk Warrior?  I've had problems with Pr CS5.5 that were apparently related to bad directories, because running DW fixed them, too.

The challenge I see here is: I didn't experience any of these issues with Premiere Pro CS5.5, on the same, exact rig.  I'm fairly convinced the issue isn't memory-related or FS perms related; because issues aren't showing up in any of the other software I run.

What I haven't tried yet is to disable hardware MPE.  That'll be my next test, but I don't have high hopes...

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jason Van Patten wrote:

What I haven't tried yet is to disable hardware MPE.  That'll be my next test, but I don't have high hopes...

As I somewhat expected: disabling hardware MPE made no difference whatsoever.  I was able to easily reproduce the laggy Program Monitor issue with it on and off.

For what it's worth, my source material is:

2 AVCHD inputs (one forward camera, one rear camera)

1 WAV file for sound

The video from the rear camera is PiP'd on top of the front camera, flipped horizontally, and cropped from the bottom.  The audio from both AVCHD inputs is unlinked and deleted; the audio is from the WAV file.

(If any of that matters...)

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to needles27

I was thinking that perhaps CS6 was using memory space that CS5.5 wasn't.  I'm a watcher of Activity Monitor, and Menu Meters.  I've only used all my RAM when using Ae, doing long RAM-Previews.  It was a shot in the dark, to be honest.

You never know.  Troubleshooting is often a routine of eliminating what the problem isn't. 

I also have 32G RAM, and I'm on a Mac Pro 3,1, running 10.6.8, and I'm not having the issues you guys are.  JVP didn't list an OS, but two of you are on 10.7.4.  Coincidence?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 6:55 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

I also have 32G RAM, and I'm on a Mac Pro 3,1, running 10.6.8, and I'm not having the issues you guys are.  JVP didn't list an OS, but two of you are on 10.7.4.  Coincidence?

It's 10.7.4 as well.  I think my issue has more to do with this thread.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

I don't work with AVCHD.  There's a known issue with AVCHD spanned clips.  

You could try using ProRes, DNxHD or some other intraframe codec, and see if you can eliminate your source footage or a particular codec as the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

I don't work with AVCHD.  There's a known issue with AVCHD spanned clips.

I assume the phrase "spanned clips" means source footage that's actually more than one file?  Because my 20+ minute track videos would definitely fall into that bucket.

You could try using ProRes, DNxHD or some other intraframe codec, and see if you can eliminate your source footage or a particular codec as the issue.

Yep, I could do that.  Seems a bit wasteful (from a time and disk space perspective) to do so, but you're right...  It'd be better if the problem could be fixed.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to needles27

If you have 32GB installed and a bad memory stick, would clicking "About this Mac" show total memory as 24GB instead of 32GB?

By the way, if anyone reading this is running Premiere Pro CS6 on a Mac Pro with no problem, we'd love to hear from you too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to needles27

There seems to be no reason that causes the problem for me what so ever. There is nothing specific that I click on or do, moving the mouse after a little break has been the latest culprit. I have been having the problem for about a month now and it is so bad now that I cannot even open my projects for more than about 15 seconds or so without getting the "serious error". I am on CS5.5 though..so its not just a CS6 problem.

iMac 10.7.4

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Let me know if there is any other info I could include to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to needles27

Yes, common threads.  10.7.4 and lots of RAM.  If it turns out you get "no problems here" replies, and they're predominantly from people with less RAM, I'd suggest you pull half your RAM, and then see what happens. 

Maybe the way RAM is managed in Lion is suffering as Apple moves more towards a consumer-device OS, and away from RAM-bodacious towers, and letting that implementation fall through the cracks.  I don't know.  Just throwing that out there.

Here's another thing I learned recently:  I was having mysterious Pr CS5.5 problems.  I did all the regular maintenance and troubleshooting, re-installing... the works.  Finally, I tracked my issue down to a drive sled option I had bought from MaxUpgrades to put 6 drives in my MacPro.  I yanked the extra drives, using only the 4 stock SATA bays, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.  You can get serious errors from a bad cable; an unseated PCI card, etc.  That's how I know you have to eliminate your hardware, before you can start blaming errors on software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

I haven't seen any "no problem here" posts from Mac users.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to needles27

My problem is when scrubbing through the timeline or watching my project back in premier it will jump and stutter and is so bad I cant edit anything. I'm also doing allot of dynamic links to After Effects that don't update for a very long time after I have made a change. When I take of the GPU Acceleration it seems to scrub through and preview the project fine but obviously a lot slower without the acceleration. I found I noticed the problem first after I updated my Mac Software.

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to RMayhem

OK, I just updated a 10.7.4 partition, loaded up the new AJA Adobe Driver and Kona Control Panel.  I have a couple jobs this week and I think I'll give the whole schmear a shakedown.  I'll let you know what I encounter.

MacPro3,1 32G RAM, 10.7.4, CS6 PP (all updates), ATTO R680 RAID5, mostly working with ProRes, XDCam EX and HD footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

I'm also getting this problem on a Mac Pro with Lion, but so far not with Snow Leopard. 

What I AM seeing is that H264 exports never complete, although the file seems complete, the temp file is still there and the export sits at 100% with 00:00:00:00 left.  *really frustrating* !

The same sequence exports perfectly to DVD (on the Mac) andto H264 on Windows.  Arggh!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to needles27

I'm guessing Apple, Adobe, and nVidia would recommend that everyone use the latest version of their own and eachother's software, correct? And if you have a recognized nVidia card you should set it to CUDA and not software only, correct?  Why are we talking about castrating our machines to run a spiffy rew update?

ps: needles, my memory checks out as fully installed, recognized, and problem-free.  Thanks for the idea though, and any others that might come to mind.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to needles27

Just a thought, I first encountered the problem while using 10.7.2. updated to 10.7.4 last week trying to fix the problem. Not sure if that update is changed enough to make a difference..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to genefama

3) ... I get compiling errors midway through. These may be related to a Video Copilot plugin effect called Twitch. I'm testing this.

Just to add to the knowledge base, VCP has acknowledged to me that there are problems with Twitch and AeCS6.  So, it would stand to reason that it's not smooth sailing with PrCS6 either.  They're working on an update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

OK, I just updated a 10.7.4 partition, loaded up the new AJA Adobe Driver and Kona Control Panel.  I have a couple jobs this week and I think I'll give the whole schmear a shakedown.  I'll let you know what I encounter.

MacPro3,1 32G RAM, 10.7.4, CS6 PP (all updates), ATTO R680 RAID5, mostly working with ProRes, XDCam EX and HD footage.

I worked on a spot yesterday with no issues.  Something just occured to me.  I did not update the Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Mac driver from the 10.6.8 version on my Lion test partition. 

Why don't one or all of you install that temporarily, and see if you get relief?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

I worked on a spot yesterday with no issues.  Something just occured to me.  I did not update the Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Mac driver from the 10.6.8 version on my Lion test partition. 

Why don't one or all of you install that temporarily, and see if you get relief?

The driver for 10.6.8 isn't compatible with Lion; Apple included its own version of an updated driver with Lion.

nVidia also has newer drivers available for download directly from their site, for 10.6.8, 10.7.3, and 10.7.4.  The ones they ship are newer than what Apple includes with Lion.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

The driver for 10.6.8 isn't compatible with Lion; Apple included its own version of an updated driver with Lion.

nVidia also has newer drivers available for download directly from their site, for 10.6.8, 10.7.3, and 10.7.4.  The ones they ship are newer than what Apple includes with Lion.

All I can tell you is that I upgraded from a 10.6.8 partition to Lion, used Migration Assistant to move all my data over to the Lion partition, and didn't run the installer for the 10.7.4 nVidia driver.  I had heard that the GPU drivers are in the Lion OS.  I just didn't run another driver installer, such as I did for AJA, for example.

One way to uninstall an old driver is to use EasyFind to search your Lion disk for "nVidia", and just trash everything EXCEPT NVIDIA RECOVERY and NVIDIA DRIVER RESTORE, which you might need to boot afterwards.

Remember that Libraries are invisible in Lion, so a search utility is good for finding contents.  Be sure it's set to search in invisible folders.

There's an app called "NVIDIA DRIVER RESTORE" that I believe is used to remove the nvidia driver and replace it with the stock OS driver.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, and it'd be best to consult the nVIDIA site, as I'm only working from memory here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to needles27

If it helps, here's what version of driver Ae says I'm running in Lion:  "2.1 NVIDIA - 7.18.18"

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim,

I reported my Twitch glitch to VCP a while ago.  They said it wasn't designed for Premiere Pro, even in a Dynamic Link.  It won't fit my worhflow if this is true so I hope you're right about a pending update.  It's a pretty cool plugin when it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to genefama

I never tried Twitch in Pr, only Ae.  I've never even noticed if it shows up in the Pr Effects tab.

It is a pretty cool plug in.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Sorry Jim, I was unclear. VCP said Twitch doesn't work in Premiere Pro. I told them that I don't use it there; I use it in AE comps that are dynamically-linked to a PP timeline and that AE comps with Twitch are crashing my PP renders.

I got the sense at this point that they didn't see this as a problem with the plugin. It's PP that's crashing and not AE, after all, and they don't support the plugin for PP.  I guess this leaves me to render in AE and place final (or, more likely, draft) output into the edit timeline. In other words, to pretend Dynamic Link doesn't exist.

Given my recent problems, I'm warming to the idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 12:47 AM   in reply to genefama

I'd like to add my voice to this thread.

I'm running an 8 core Mac Pro (3,1) 16GB ram with a GTX285.  It's been running (almost) perfectly with Snow Leopard but for other reasons I'm needing to upgrade to Lion.   I have lion installed on a second boot drive and everything else is up and running, but I'm getting this serious error problem with Premiere Pro.

I've disabled Cuda and the problem seems to be better, though I've still had a couple of hangs.

Is there some magic combination of Lion + Nvidia drivers (285 + CUDA) that is known to be stable with CS6?  

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points