• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add text using Add Or Edit Text Box (Typewriter tool)

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/WS2DE764BD-5706-4e3a-9360-5F2F968223AC.w.html

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

It's not possible to convert an existing text box into a stamp but you can create a Quick Tool for the Add or Edit Text Box to make the process faster. Here is a graphic of how to add a quick tip.

quicktip.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way I can make a text box into a stamp so I don't have to go thru all the hoops to make a text box? The old way was really simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible to convert an existing text box into a stamp but you can create a Quick Tool for the Add or Edit Text Box to make the process faster. Here is a graphic of how to add a quick tip.

quicktip.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Do you have any idea why the Text Box Icon will not work with a PDF from someone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if the pdf is secured or has had extended permissions set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF has no security set on it.  I can't find where the extended permissions are located so I can check.  Would you please let me know where to find those?

Thanks

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the PDF has security, you will see a lock icon on the left-hand side in the navigation pane. Clicking the lock allows you to see exactly what permissions.

If this isn't the issue, are you saying that you have problems adding or editing an existing text box? If so, do you know which type? There is the typewriter tool (as shown above), Add text tool, and the text form field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Lock icon in the left navigation pane and under document properties, the Security tab, the Security Method says No Security.  What other reasons would there be to stop the Text Box Icon from working and force me to use the Typewriter Tool (which is rather cumbersome)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you specify the exact location of the icon you're trying to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to use the T^ iconText tool icon.pngIn Adobe 8 I just clicked the icon, then clicked where I wanted in a document and it created a text box and I just typed in the info I needed.  Now with the Typewriter tool, first I have to save the PDF as a Reader Extended PDF > Enable adding text in Document, THEN    Tools > Content > add or edit Text Box.  This is because the T^ icon has all options grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying, you're actually using the Insert Text annotation command, which is located under the Comments > Annotations panel in Acrobat X. The use of this tool has been simplified in version X. If you have the Selection tool active (not the Hand) all you need to do is place your cursor in the document and then press the Insert key and it will automatically insert your cursor and popup the sticky note for this tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I'm trying to do.  I want to put 109...49.1 underneath the Approved stamp.

Text tool.png

This used to be a simple procedure,  Now I have to

Now with the Typewriter tool, first I have to save the PDF as a Reader Extended PDF > Enable adding text in Document, THENTools > Content > add or edit Text Box.  This is because the T^ icon has all options grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should just be able to use the typewriter tool to do this without Reader-extending the file. You're using Acrobat X Std. or Pro, not Reader, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had another thought while reading a related discussion. Do you have the following preference set Edit > Preferences > Documents View documents is PDF/A mode: Never? Perhaps these documents that you're viewing are PDF/A files, which is why the Typewriter tool may be grayed out. If you set this preference to Never, you should see the tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preferences WERE set to “Never” so I don’t know what the problem is.

The reason I upgraded to Acrobat X is that in Acrobat IX, we couldn’t “append” a page (by scanning) to a previous PDF without it appending as a black page with white letters. Did Adobe IX ever get that fixed? We have the updates on the other computers with Acrobat IX. I’m glad that you got that fixed in Acrobat X.

Serving Christ,

Bill Gwyer

Distribution_HQ@ntm.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever try to select Invert Black and White Images in the Scanner Options when the page came out reversed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we tried the Invert Black and White images but nothing changed with the scanned image.  It still came in with a black background and white font.  But that is with Acrobat 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to fix the problem that when you click outside the text box the text disappears in documents created in ADOBE ACROBAT X PRO, not Mac Preview, not adobe reader not any other program but in ADOBE ACROBAT X PRO. Countless people have commented on this problem. Most alleged solutions claim that the document was not opened in ADOBE ACROBAT X PRO but in Mac Preview or Reader but they weren't. The were edited in ADOBE ACROBAT X PRO. It apparently has something to do with the opacity of the text in the text box. There is one fix that requires a registry edit on Windows machines but no proposed solution for Mac. Until this is fixed, I simply treat ADOBE ACROBAT X PRO as one of those wastes of money and use an alternative program to edit PDFs because ADOBE ACROBAT X PRO is useless until this problem is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another Macbook Pro on which Adobe Acrobat X Pro works perfectly and this problem does not exist.  I wish I knew where these preferences existed and I'd just copy the file from the working one to the non-working one.  Pathetic that there is no easy solution to these for a product at this price though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found a workaround for this problem on another forum. Grab one of your pdfs that you made previously with a working typewriter tool and do the following:

2. Open the PDF with GOOD typewriter annotations on the problem computer.

3. Select the Comment tab. Look for the one you added under the comments list.

4. Double Click on the entry in the comments list and make sure it selects the right one. It must be the typewriter box.

5. Right click on the entry in the comments list and choose Properties.

6. Click on "Make Properties Default" and click OK.

If all is well, the good (100% opacity) setting will now apply to all future typewriter boxes

This worked for me and you can find the whole thread at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4577659 It still doesn't solve my red font problem with the Add Text tool but at least the typewriter tool is working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am always surprise at how corporation like Adobe are making the user interface complicated and not intuite at all !!!!!!!!!!

ok lets say that I am a dummy

1) when I read Add or Edit Text Box, it means for me that I will be able to Add or Edit a text box. Of course it is not the case. It would had be to simple to be able to do those 2 action in one place. I guess that for a dummy like me it shoul had been written Add Text or Edit Text Box since we are limited... Now imagine that it would work like in many other software : clic and start typing fo adding text OR clic and drag two opposite corner or a box to addd a text box... to simple, I guess!!!

Now that you added some text and close typewriter, try editing it and making it bold, italic... good luck.if you think that

a) a contextual menu will appear by right clickink on the text;

b) there will be bold and italic feature available once you figure out that you have to open typewriter first

2) I was able to add text (text is not consider as comment... woowwww). Now I am unable to align it right or centre! An other thing that do not work, I am unable to create a paragraph by adding 2 enter (bug or "feature"?)

3) I finaly found how to add a text box (text box is consider as comment... what a logic!!!!). Again I am not able to add a paragraph. If I right clic on the box with tex selected and choose propreties I am unable to align. So now editing a Adobe 8 version document, I have text boxes with the text centered, right aligned and with some paragrah and some text boxes that were created in version10 without those features.

...when we go from a version 8 to 10, should we loose features? should it be harder to do things?

where is the aligned commands? how do I add a paragraph 'break'?

I whish that compagnies like Adobe would hire me to help them design more user and intuitive interfac. If Aldus would had bought Adobe I am sure that the interface would be a lot more easy to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worth emphasising (again?) that large amounts of text edits/adds to a PDF are not really a strength of the PDF format or Acrobat. The miracle is that we can add any text at all, and much as people want Acrobat to be like Word or InDesign it never is.

Comments and page text are completely different kinds of thing, and sadly it's probably important to understand the difference between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what an answer... it does not address any of my points

"Comments and page text are completely different kinds of thing" of course that is what it is logical that they share part of the same function 'Add or Edit Text Box"? ...completely different kinds but... ohhhhhhhh. And for me a comment can be with or without a box, depending of how much I want it to stand out!!!

I surely don't not want Adobe to be like Word or Pagemaker (I wan't comment on InDesign), but as a user I should not loose any features going from v8 to 10.

1) : what is the logic beind it? I think that it was translated in English somewhere and it lost its meaning. When I read that, I expect to be able to ADD OR EDIT a TEXT BOX... right now the function is ADD TEXT OR EDIT a TEXT BOX, and if you want to add a text box, search somewhere else! If you find that is is a intuitive and user friendly interface...

the contextual menu is a concept that started more than 20 years ago in Windows 2. Once I have added text, I guess that it would be to much to ask that properties be in the contextual menu when you right click on text that you added.

2) I will skip

3) in version 8 when you were creating a text box, you were able to create paragraph and to align the text, right, left and center. WHERE ARE THOSE FUNCTION IN VERSION 10? Or was it a downgrade? When I open a file annotated in version 8 that has a text box with paragraph and with the text centered, those features are being kept in v10... strange

maybe this time I will have real answers to my questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone please! How can I rotate the Text Box 90 degree (from horizontal to vertical position) ?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know you can't directly, but you can first rotate the page (+/-90°), add the text box and enter the text, and then rotate the page back to the original orientation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines