• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lucida Grande font not working on CS6

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CS6 on macbook pro - Lion 10.7.4 - Lucida Grande font works on CS5 but not on CS6. Can someone help? I have tons of web stuff designed with this font.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Try the below mentioned steps and then check:-
1.   Drag the contents of the Library/ Fonts folder to a new folder on the desktop. (If you manually added fonts to the Library/ Application Support/ Adobe/ Fonts folder, also drag those fonts to the new folder.)

2.    At the Finder, choose File > Find.

3 .   Type AdobeFnt.lst, select the system drive, and then press Return.

4.    Delete all AdobeFnt.lst files found (for example, AdobeFnt10.lst).

5.     Restart the computer.

6 .    Restart InDesi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate what you mean Lucida Grande font not working?

Does it not show in the Applications?

It shows but doesn't work as expected?

Which application are you working in ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop CS6.

Until yesterday I was working on the same applications but CS5, with no problems.

When I open design files that use Lucida Grande Regular the files open fine but only the text in Lucida Grande Regular doesn't appear. Everything else is perfect.

When I go into Outline mode (AI) I can see that there's the small "x" sign where the Lucida Grande Regular text should be. The "x" is the same sign that usually marks the center of a shape or the start of a line of text. If I change to any other font, including Lucida Grande Bold it works fine.

I checked on Font Book and the Lucida Grande family seems fine.

I even reopened the same files on CS5 and they still work fine with Lucida Grande Regular.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you remove the font caches and then check.

Check this link for steps :- http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-fonts-mac-os-x.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the caches and used the font finagler as well.

I now get this message when I try to use the Lucida Grande Regular font in Photoshop:

"Selected font failed during last operation. If Problem persists, please disable the font."

Since Lucida Grande is a system font I can't disable it.

The error is still the same on Illustrator CS6 and it keeps working on CS5.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...Strange

Have you restarted the machine after removing the caches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If restarting the machine didn't do the trick, you can either try to re-install the font from a backup, or you might have to do a system restore (a very last step). In fact, if you have access to another Mac you might be able to get a copy there or if you have a blank hard drive, you might try to install a system on the blank hard drive and copy the font from that machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I restarted the machine. No changes. I tested with all other applications (CS5, Office, iWork, Mail...) and the font works everywhere, except CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the below mentioned steps and then check:-
1.   Drag the contents of the Library/ Fonts folder to a new folder on the desktop. (If you manually added fonts to the Library/ Application Support/ Adobe/ Fonts folder, also drag those fonts to the new folder.)

2.    At the Finder, choose File > Find.

3 .   Type AdobeFnt.lst, select the system drive, and then press Return.

4.    Delete all AdobeFnt.lst files found (for example, AdobeFnt10.lst).

5.     Restart the computer.

6 .    Restart InDesign. InDesign creates new AdobeFnt.lst files.

Try to re-create the problem. Then, do one of the following:    
  • If the problem doesn't recur, move one font back to the Library/Fonts folder, and then repeat steps 5-6 until you identify the problematic font.
  • If you have a font management utility, restart it and activate fonts in small groups or individually to identify the problematic font.
  • If the problem recurs, move the contents of the new folder on the desktop back to the Library/Fonts folder.

Note: If no adobefnt.lst file is found in the search, make sure that the search criteria are set to 'any' in the Find dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution seems to work. When I deleted the AdobeFnt.lst files found I could see Lucida Grande Regular again. I strated adding fonts and restarting and at some point it disappeared again.

This approach is so ridiculously painful since I have hundreds of fonts installed and it takes installing one by one and do the computer and InDesign restarts to see if it still works. It's going to take a while to test which font(s) are the ones creating the issue.

In the meantime, I'm forced to go back to CS5 where all fonts are still working perfectly. Such a shame wasting time and money on CS6 so far.

Please let me know if you think of a better way to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit confused....

estefanut wrote:

This solution seems to work. When I deleted the AdobeFnt.lst files

So is your problem solved or not, If solved then why you adding fonts ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Points 1 through 6 worked fine. I opened InDesign and Illustrator and Lucida Grande Regular was fine.

Then, I followed the rest of your instructions:

Try to re-create the problem. Then, do one of the following:    

• If the problem doesn't recur, move one font back to the Library/Fonts folder, and then repeat steps 5-6 until you identify the problematic font.

I added one font, repeated steps 5-6 and it still worked. I then added more fonts, repeated 5-6 several times and then started adding fonts in batches since it took forever to do one by one. At some point it stopped working, as expected.

So, like I said,  the solution seems to work but will just take too long to do the "add font/steps 5-6 cycle" for all of my fonts. More time that I have now with lots of work to do. This solution works well when you have only a few fonts. When you have hundreds of them it becomes a tremendous amount of work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...I can understand.....try one thing.

Move all the fonts back in the Library/Fonts folder , delete the Adobefnt*.lst files and then check , if incase this work it would be great otherwise there is one or more font causing this issue and we have to locate it.

and you can do the Binary division solution , which is to divide the set in 2 parts , and then locate which part is giving the problem , then divide that faulty part in 2 and repeat the steps until you find the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm having this issue and have no Adobefnt*.lst file on my computer. At first I had Lucida Grande showing up as 6 Regular versions and 6 Bold, then I wasn't able to save and was getting the error message mentioned above. Then I restarted, after looking for Adobefnt*.lst, and now Regular is appearing italic. After looking at the font in Font Book (and anywhere else) it doesn't appear to have any problems outside Adobe products.

I, in particular, am having this problem in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mattrmcd if you are using the Adobe Creative apps then you do have Adobefnt files on your computer.  The * is a wildcard as this will have a number next to it depending on which application created the the Adobefnt file.

Which operating system are you using so we can better advise you on how to search for these files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS X 10.8

...and nevermind I found it. OS X hiding stuff in Library got me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent thanks for the update Mattrmcd.  It should also be noted that you can utilize Font Book to enable and disable fonts as well on Mac OS 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news. Deleting those Adobefont*.lst files, quaranting the system fonts, and then rebooting somehow resulted in all of the fonts in ~/Library/Fonts to disappear without going through the Trash.

So thanks for that.

The good news, I guess, is that Lucida Grande works now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some time with Lucida Grande working, it's back. the solution above seems to be looking for the problem font. Since the problem font has been identified (and is a system font) removing it doesn't seem like a solution. I can try and replace the font file but that would mean changing it in the System folders and that doesn't seem like something I should have to do for a single app...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like after I delete the .lst files and reboot, Lucida Grande starts working again, but only for a while.

Eventually—normally after a day of using Photoshop CS6 and various other fonts—it always comes back to "Selected font failed during last operation. If Problem persists, please disable the font."

This has been happening almost every night for the past few days. I'd love a solution on this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mattrmcd and Estefaunt it seems like you both have another font installed which is causing a conflict with Lucida Grande.  As Manish recommended you will want to reduce the amount of fonts currently installed on your computer and add them back slowly until you identify the font which is causing your difficulties. 

You can use Font Book to disable all but the system fonts and then slowly add back the fonts as needed.  Until the conflicting font is identified you will continue to need to delete the Adobefnt files.

Also if you are utilizing any type of third-party font management I would recommend disabling it until you are able to utilize Lucida Grande consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try to find the font which is conflict with Photoshop. Remove it from Windows\Fonts -> then re-install it.

For me when i opened the file, i got this problem because i installed too much family of helvetica fonts. Just remove them and re-install. It worked for me.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2013 Feb 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem and fixed it. It turns out it was my font manager that was doing it. I would check the font on whatever font management applications you have. I simply disabled and reenabled all system fonts and it worked like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines