Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

A question abut setting the flow of reading

Jun 5, 2012 6:08 AM

Tags: #text #reading #contents #sections

Hi, folks

I am building a publication that has some contents pages —one or two for each section— and then short features that run for two ot three pages. Each section may have six or seven features.

What I want (and here comes the question) is that the content pages run ONLY vertically and the features ONLY horizontally. That is: The flow of reading goes vertically to change section and horizontally to browse or read each section.

I have built each article in an independent InDesign file. Do I have to build all the content pages in the same file to make it flow only in the vertical sense? Or am I mixing it all?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo (Posting from a rather sunny Madrid)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to Gusgsm

Just set the properties for each article individually and choose horizontal swipe only for those you don’t want to have vertical swiping. I warn you however that this may be confusing for your reader so I suggest a good instruction page.

Creating a sidecar.xml file may make this a bit easier if you’re going to be doing updates along the way.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to Gusgsm

This isn't supported with dps. Switching between articles is always a horizontal action.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to Gusgsm

I made a experimental magazine where you go down to the next article and swipe right inside the same article (a magazine rotated by 90°), check out the video here:

http://digitalpublishing.tumblr.com/post/13016239936/mind-twister-read ing-a-digital-magazine-in-a

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points