Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Alternate layouts, facing pages,single pages, but not both?

Jun 5, 2012 3:06 AM

Tags: #dps #pages #alternate #layouts #facing

Hi all, I have a question, I want to work on a print mag  layout and an iPad and iPhone layout all under the 'alternate layout' umbrella. So is it possible to have my print magazine article with facing pages as one layout, and then have an iPad single pages layout, along with an iPhone single pages layout open?

Or does alternate layouts simple work in either facing pages or single pages for an entire project?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Steve Kelly

Alternate layouts share document settings with the main layout, including your ruler settings and as far as I can tell facing pages. You should have a separate InDesign document for your print layout and digital layouts.

One key reason: presuambly you want to work in points and picas for your print layout, and you should work in pixels for the digital layout. Otherwise you'll get rounding oddities when the points are converted to pixels, and elements may shift slightly in your layout when you create the folio.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Neil, I thought Adobe highlighted alternate layout to have multiple versions -- for different devices and printing -- all in a single InDesign file. Are you now saying that an InDesign user should not keep all layouts in the same file and not use that feature of CS 6?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Michael_OSP

Alternate layouts aren't intended to combine print and digital in one file. Our recommended workflow is to have a print edition InDesign document, and then use alternate layouts in a separate InDesign file to handle all the digital devices you want to support.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Linked Content would be a great CS6 feature for manage content in different

ID docs.

Haeme Ulrich

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Neil, you may want to find out who is responsible for this on the Adobe site and have them take it down because it is the opposite of what you are saying:

http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign.html (video from Terry White, Worldwide Design Evangelist)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to Michael_OSP

At 1:02 of the video you can see Terry's document structure. He's working purely with digital editions in the InDesign document: iPad V, iPad H, and Galaxy Tab V. He doesn't mention anywhere that you should include both print and digital in the same file.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Thanks Neil. I do see that in the video and I was reading more, like Steve suggests, into the capabilities. And like Steve I haven't seen at the moment any of the issues you raised but I will try to not mix the print & digital layouts in the same file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Michael_OSP

I didn't think there was any issue with using points/picas and then just publishing to DPS, but it does result in rounding errors (fractions of a pixel when the math is done) that can cause overlays to jump around in your final output when users interact with them. It's not common, but it does happen.

Stick with pixels and you'll be much happier.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Hi Neil,

Perhaps you can help with this discussion (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4443801#4443801) which received no replies.

I cannot specify font sizes in anything other than points (CS6, no trouble in CS5.5). Perhaps it's something to do with the same size font on iPad 2 and iPad 3 but different pixel dimensions, but your above comment concerns me.

CS55.jpgCS6.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Simon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to Angusdog

Sorry, I don't know what happened to the option of specifying font sizes in dimensions other than points. That's really unrelated to DPS, however.

My comment about pixels vs. points is specifically about the units used for the rulers, and objects positioned on the page.

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points