Skip navigation
yerk55
Currently Being Moderated

Batch converting PDFs to image-based?

Jun 1, 2012 9:03 AM

I have a batch of multi-paged PDF documents that are text-based. I want to re-save them so that they are all image-based instead. The increase in file size is not a concern.

I’m using X Pro. But I haven’t been able to figure out how to do so, or if it’s even possible. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to yerk55

I am not quite sure what you meant by 'image based'. Do you want to flatten the PDF contents? You can do this using Flatten Layers options in Action Wizard. You can also print them to Adobe PDF printer and get new PDFs created. To do this:

Make Adobe PDF printer 'As Default'

Set the preferences and select 'High Quality' joboptions. (There will be a loss of quality but this joboption will maintain the best possible results)

Open Acrobat

File->Action Wizard->Create New Action-> More Tools-> Print. Save this action.

Now you can execute this action on multiple files.

You can also flatten the PDF using Content->Flatten Layers or Select More Tools->Preflight-> and select Flattening options in the drop down.

See if this helps.

~Sandeep V.    

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to yerk55

Hi,

That's a tough job you do. I appreciate that you are trying to save papers by using something electronically.

So technically if I conclude this, what you do is to convert PDFs to JPEGs(Scanning the printed copy to any format) and then combining these individual JPEGs to PDF. Right? You may scan to PDFs directly but you need to combine them to make one copy of it. Either you do it by an internal feature of your scanner or using Acrobat, that's another thing.

You can do this entire job using Acrobat. Here is my suggestion:

1). Create an Action to export the PDFs to JPEG/TIFF images. To do this

• File->Action Wizard->Create new Action->on the right hand side click options

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60137234/AdobeForum/Options.PNG

• Select Export File(s) to Alternate Format and select TIFF(TIFF shows better results)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60137234/AdobeForum/SelectTIFF.png

Click Ok.

In the same window you can select if you want to perform this action on a PDF already opened in Acrobat or Select it from your Computer or run it on an entire folder on your Computer. Select them from 'Start With' Dropdown.

You can select a predefined folder where you want to save these exported images or let Acrobat prompt you every time for this.

This does the job of Printing and then Scanning those printouts to JPEGs/PDFs.

2). Combine these JPEG/TIFF images to PDF...................and you are done.

Create another action for this.

• Under Create New Actions -> 'Start With' dropdown-> Select Combine Files into a single PDF
    • 'Save to' DropDown -> Select a particular folder or Same folder where the files are located. and Save it.

Now you just need to run these two actions from Acrobat and it will do the entire job for you. If you want you can copy and paste these actions from one machine to another machine. Here is the location on Win7: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\Sequences

Helping you in this issue is like saving hundreds of papers everyday and that's the idea behind Acrobat. Feel free to write back for more information or if you want me to upload these actions here.

~Sandeep V.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points