Skip navigation
DarkwingDuck__
Currently Being Moderated

Subversion 1.7 support, as written in the product overview?

Nov 2, 2011 6:15 AM

Tags: #dreamweaver #subversion #svn

Hello,

I read about Subversion 1.7 support on Dreamweaver CS 5.5 product overview. ( http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressmaterials/pdfs/cs55_dre amweaver_whatsnew.pdf )

Some documents state 1.6.9 but I think 1.7 should be in the recent DW.  I've downloaded and tried CS 5.5, however the library version is still 1.6.9. Tried a clean checkout from the local 1.7.0 Subversion Edge Server using Dreamweaver CS 5.5 with no success.

+ The test on the setup dialog succeeds ("the server and project are accessible!").

+ I can browse the repo in the file window.

+ I can see the revisions, and open a repo file using the 'view' button on the revision history dialog.

When I try to initially checkout the empty working folder I get : "file activity failed!". The saved log file states:

SVN: #0, Path 'http://xxxx:80/svn/xxxxxx/trunk/www' is not canonicalized; there is a problem with the client.

File activity complete.

PS: I also have Tortoise 1.7.1 installed, but the problematic checkout was to a new clean folder, not touched by Tortoise.

So what's wrong?

If I sacrifice Tortoise, can I make DW work with the local subversion edge server by just uninstalling Tortoise?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 2, 2011 4:53 PM   in reply to DarkwingDuck__

Hi, DarkwingDuck.

Yes, it is version 1.6.9 of Subversion that is included in Dreamweaver CS5.5.  (Sorry about the incorrect information in the above mentioned PDF! I have asked the appropriate party to get the documentation corrected.)

As for the issue you are facing, have you tried using the IP address (instead of the name) for the Server Address?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Once again, according to this information sheet 1.7 is supposed to be supported by the DW CS6 client.

However it is not, that is three versions CS5+ that should have been upgraded to support 1.7!

I have two questions here.....

1). Are there any plans to release an update for DW to support 1.7 so we can stop experiencing the following error?

SVN: #0, Path 'https://repodirectorypath' is not canonicalized; there is a problem with the client.

2). Do the Dreamweaver developers ever plan on enabling 'Git' or 'Mercurial' as additional options, or are we stuck with SVN?

Additional Information for those of you trying to use DW with SVN 1.7.

Apparently there is a line of code you can put in your SVN settings to help resolve this.

Additionally we found that removing the port from the SVN settings in the DW project can (sometimes) resolve the issue.

Read More Here

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to RoyalT

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, RoyalT.

The version included is 1.6.9, not 1.7, as you have likely discovered on your own. I'll let the team know so they can get the PDF updated.

Can you tell me how you located that PDF?

For example, by searching the web, or by clicking on a link to it from somewhere.

If you clicked a link, please include the URL of that page.

Regarding item #1: Please send a request to update Subversion in Dreamweaver directly to our development team: http://adobe.ly/DWwish

Be sure to include the fact that you get this error because the included version of Subversion is out-of-date, and anything else that is relevant to why you want Subversion updated.

The more the team hears such requests, the higher the priority they can give to working on it.

For item #2: Essentially the same thing... let our development team know directly that you want support for Git and/or Mercurial. (I know I use Git all the time, and would very much like to see it added to DW.)

And thanks for sharing the info about using DW with SVN 1.7; hopefully it will help others searching for answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Carey,

You guys at Adobe are really screwing us over. On Nov 2, 2011 5:53 PM you replied DarkwingDuck and said you'd alert the team to update that doc that Subversion Client Version 1.7 was incorrect. I just downloaded that doc for the first time today and it STILL has the 1.7 reference.

Also, when I was researching whether to move to CS6 for Dreamweaver one of the things I looked for was the subversion client. DW 5.5 said on the website that 1.7 was supported and in the initial DW6 material it also stated support for 1.7.

So my question is how long can it take for you guys to "correct" information you are providing to developers who are trying to make these decisions? I already upgraded some of my repositories to 1.7 in prep for moving to DW 6. Now that it doesn't work (nevermind the fact that this breaks the workflow I was hopeing to benefit from) I have to back those repositories back down to 1.6.9 if I want to make it work and if I do that I won't be able to use the other tools used by other developers using SmartSVN 7 and the 1.7 client version.

Why can't the DW product be updated to add support for 1.7 and Git and Mercurial? Seems like a natural fit for a "professional" IDE tool that costs significantly more than alternatives like Aptana etc.Please add support for 1.7 at least so that your docs may be correct. Or at a minimum fix your docs. I will submit a request as you describe above but I doubt it will help at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

I have an idea!

How about instead of changing the documentation, you get the developers to add the support for SVN 1.7 into CS6 as expected by us that purchased the software.

Dreamweaver CS6.1 with Subversion 1.7 support - - Brilliant!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to RoyalT

Yes it would be better if they would just add the update. The 1.7 version has been in the documents and content on the website for several years. Hard to believe that Adobe can't add that support quickly. Again, we are not asking for a full client or even additional features (at this point), just add support for 1.7 with existing functionality.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

I would also like SVN 1.7 support in CS6

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Dana Johnson

It seems like a no brainer and the marketing and product documentation since back in CS5 have stated it would be there. With 1.7 it allows for greater performance and easier management. It seems like a good idea for Adobe to add it and tout the increased performance and abilities offered from an upgrade to the 1.7 version of Subversion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to DarkwingDuck__

After being embarrassed by the fact the DW CS6 does NOT support 1.7 by one of our source-control experts, I found the following reference:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressmaterials/pdfs/DW_CS6_W N_20120314.pdf

Look on page 8. It says quite clearly under the heading "Still Using Dreamweaver CS5?" the following...

"...Support for Subversion 1.7. Store your files more securely with support for Subversion® software. Manage iterations of your web projects more efficiently"

What happened here?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to bucksommerkamp

Unfortunatly that information regarding the 1.7 support has been in documents and on the site at various times since CS5 was introduced. Others have linked to previous press material pages as you have for previous versions. One adobe rep said those docs would be updated but not only have they not, they have also continued to use that information in the CS6 documentation as you point out.

Adobe really should remedy this. They should include the support and allow the develoment community to keep pace with the changes in tech such as they have with HTML5 etc.

Would be great to hear from someone at Adobe with an update or more information on this as we all try to deal with this fragmented workflow since we can't use the 1.7 version in the program and must use another program to facility basic SVN commands.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to GAlbers56

Use the "Bug Report & Feature Request Form" below.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to DarkwingDuck__

You're Kidding me right!!  cs5 FTP was broken when you were behind proxy and had to wait for cs6 to get that fixed and now I finally have a team together that wants to use SVN and thats busted!! It looks great in all the videos but IT WONT WORK!!  has anybody been able to get this to work at all!!!???

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to lazmattlabs

Can't someone at Adobe respond to this issue for the DW community? Why can't Adobe respond and either tell us the issue and the time frame it will ACTUALLY be fixed and implemented or just release a patch to enable the 1.7 version and fix any compatabillity issues?

ADOBE PLEASE RESPOND!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

Have you seen this? i just found it via a google search.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail& extid=1891527

SVNWaeaver, extenstion for Dreamweaver to support SVN 1.7+

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to RoyalT

Not to divert the attention of the Dreamweaver team to living up to the documentation and releasing an update to fully support SVN 1.7, but now that Adobe has fully consumed PhoneGap, perhaps they could follow their lead and add GIT to the respository options for Dreamwaver as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to Marcus Koch

That SVNweaver extension is very old now, and the link on the extension page does not work. The extension can be downladed from https://github.com/ChrisMcKee/svnweaver.

It looks like it's 32bit only. Last update (a readme file) is 9 months old, so I don't think this is developed any further.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to RoyalT

I cannot believe this is still an issue. 

Two versions and a few updates later, and I am still have the same issue. 

This particular problem is all over the forums:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4633737

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/920500

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4148127

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4429154

When is the Dreamweaver team going to get the hint?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to RoyalT

I don't understand either why even Dreamweaver CS6 only supports SVN 1.6.9. A "professional" product that uses old technology and advertises wrongly. Is there a way to sue Adobe for compensation due to the false advertisement in the US? Maybe that's the only way to make them update either the product or the advertisement.

As I was told SVN client and SVN server can communicate even when the versions differ. We also use 1.7.x on the server side, but I am able to connect from Dreamweaver CS6 to the repository and are also able to commit changes or get newest repository versions. The problem is of course that the file structure between 1.7 and 1.6 has been changed. In 1.6. each folder has a .SVN folder and in 1.7. it is only in the root. So my local folder structure has all the .SVN files due to Dreamweaver only supporting 1.6.9. I have installed Tortoise 1.7.x, so I'm not able to access the repository from Explorer/Tortoise, because the local structure would need to be updated to 1.7, but then I won't be able to work with it from Dreamweaver anymore. I use a private/public key combination to access the repository. It works for me with CS6. I'm also not using a lot of the SVN features. I tried it on another machine running CS5.5 and I had problems. I had no tim to troubleshoot it, yet. I will do it later.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to Marcus Koch

Hi all,

Thank you for letting us know of the error in the document. We are getting it corrected. As Carey correctly put it, Dreamweaver doesn't support Subversion versions later than 1.6.9.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 2:14 AM   in reply to Preran

Hi Preran, can you explain us why there is no support for 1.7? Two versions have passed. It is not understandable. Cheers Marcus

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:42 PM   in reply to Preran

it is actually comical that this is still an issue...

lets all ask the development team to fix this, after almost 2 years, looks like they don't care that the product is virtually useless in a "MODERN" team work environment..

For gods sake, SVN version 1.8.0 is out now... Thats 1.1 more, yo!

Dreamweaver is totally awesome with a lot of things but wow, this is a major flaw. Now im stuck in VS2012 doing design work, yeah.

Additionally, to market it to the public as a included feature then 'thank us' for pointing out all the specific materials you published the lie in so you can then change it after everyone purchased it, is very classy... NICE work. there is a name for for those kinds of trade practices, what is that called... hummm i forget.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to [dude]

No need to resolve it but you get your web-site directly from the php freelancer.  If you are looking for the web design and web development work in your budget then i please contact php freelancer - Pinkesh Patel. I have 8 years experience in web development and aware of all the features which will be applied as per your requirements.  Please visit PHP Freelancer OR PHP Freelancer USA for more information.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to Preran

Wow, two years after the initial complaint, and 2 major revisions of both DW and Subversion, and this is STILL not fixed? I thought DW was the gold-standard of web site development environments. Does the phrase "resting on ones laurels" mean anything to anybody?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points