Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

This webpage cannot be displayed

May 25, 2012 11:27 PM

Tags: #display #this #cannot #webpage

Hi,

I am working in a coldfusion application which is hosted in 2  windows servers with IIS versions 6.0 and 7.5. The problem is that nowadays the users are getting the IE error page 'Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage'. This issue is not bounded to a single page. Users are getting this issue in different pages when they click links or click the submit button. And this issue is replicated in two different servers. I thought of being this as a cache issue and tried with the nocache. But it didnt work. I am clueless about this now. Please help me out. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2012 12:53 AM   in reply to balumohan

"This webpage cannot be displayed" is just a generic user-friendly error page IE displays when it receives a 500 response from the web server.

There's a setting to switch it off and show the actual error, which'll help you diagnose where you code is going wrong.

--

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to balumohan

Stick an onError() handler in your Application.cfc and log whatever the error detail is, then rethrow the error.

--

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 12:53 AM   in reply to balumohan

If it's occuring with a HTML file, then CF is playing no part in it, so I'd focus on looking at the network between the clients and the web server, and indeed the web server itself.

Perhaps perform your test from a browser on the web server itself (using localhost as the domain name, so as to stay off the network), and see if you still get the error.  If you do, it's something with IIS.  If not, it points to your network.

--

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to Adam Cameron.

Adam Cameron. wrote:

If it's occuring with a HTML file,...

Since it is apparently browser-related, I thought immediately of HTML. How does the HTML code look like?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 11:31 PM   in reply to balumohan

balumohan wrote:

When we run an html page which is kept in the same folder of our coldfusion application, will it hit coldfusion application server?

Hi balumohan,

Like Adam said, no, an html page request will not hit the CF Application server, even if the html page is kept in the same folder as your CF application.

Thanks,

-Aaron

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:48 AM   in reply to balumohan

balumohan wrote:

Ok. Thanks Aaron... Out of these what I have mentioned above... What can be the reason of the issue? Do you feel anything that I should try? Thanks..

Hi balumohan,

Basically I'd do exactly as Adam suggested.  Load the .html page via http://localhost/....  (load the page locally on the server itself).  You might also watch the site's IIS log to see if the request was logged and if it was logged as an error, when the issue occurs.

Thanks,

-Aaron

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 3:16 AM   in reply to balumohan

What's the ColdFusion version/build?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to balumohan

Now, on to something else. Since the problem occurs when your users "click links or click the submit button" it could be an encoding issue. Does it help when you place the following two lines at the beginning of onRequestStart (in Application.cfc)?

<cfscript>

setEncoding("url", "UTF-8");

setEncoding("form", "UTF-8");

</cfscript>

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 4:21 AM   in reply to balumohan

balumohan wrote:

Below are my system details:

Windows server 2003 r2 :: 64 bit service pack 2

IIS 6.0

coldfusion :: 9,0,0,251028

Adobe Driver Version  4.0 (Build 0005)

You should be thinking of updating. ColdFusion 9 is now at:

1) update 1 (9.0.1) and Cumulative Hot Fix 2;

2) update 2 (9.0.2): [Note from the official documentation: "This Updater release is a follow-up of ColdFusion 9 Update 1 release. However, note that, unlike ColdFusion 9.0 Update 1, ColdFusion 9.0 Update 2 is a full installer. Hence, do not install ColdFusion 9.0.2 alongside an existing ColdFusion 9.0 or ColdFusion 9.0.1 installation.

ColdFusion 9.0.2 update is a summation of ColdFusion 9.0.1, ColdFusion 9.0.1 Cumulative HotFixes 1 & 2, all ColdFusion 9.0.1 Security HotFixes, but without Verity."]

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to balumohan

If the cause is an encoding issue on the web server, then it might affect CFM pages as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 2:47 AM   in reply to balumohan

balumohan wrote:

I checked with the html file accessed through localhost as well as through the actual site. I found the issue while accessing through the actual site. In localhost I didnt get the issue.

Do the site and localhost run the same web server software?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to balumohan

balumohan wrote:

But as the test page is HTML, it is not coldfusion related??

A 3rd server which is not having coldfusion installed is not showing this issue.

We can already get this question out of the way. The browser's HTML request does not reach ColdFusion. It is served directly by the web server. How does your typical HTML code look like?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points