Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5: Content Aware Scale vs Image Size

Jun 8, 2012 9:00 AM

Can someone explain the difference between the outcome of using the new content aware scale versus just going ahead and resizing the image? Or is this a matter of preference? Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to mrdakota

Hi,

Content aware scale is not so much about resizing an image as much as it is about extending an image. It allows you to stretch the existing pixels along a single axis without distorting (or with less distorting) of the subject or subjects of the image.

In this first photo is the original and the area that needs to be filled with image data to the right.

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 11.10.36 AM.png

In this 2nd image I just scaled the image up to fill. As you can see, I've lost a lot of the image as I'm basically cropping it as I scale it up along both the x axis and the y axis.

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 11.11.39 AM.png

If I try to just scale the image along the x-axis the image will distort. The ship and the bathers get wider.

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 11.18.17 AM.png

In this 4th image I've used content aware scale to "pull" the pixels over only along the x axis. Notice that the ship and the swimmers retain their original appearance.

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 11.11.06 AM.png

Hope that helps

Michael

[signature deleted by host]

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers