Skip navigation
B.krit
Currently Being Moderated

MJPEG AVI issues, gspot codec appliance lying to me?

Jun 9, 2012 10:06 AM

I have two types of videos. One is 1080p from my goggles, one is from my Canon point and shoot.

Goggle 1080p .mov video: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows Movie Maker can import and edit, but gspot codec appliance says it is undetermined.

Crummy Canon .avi MJPEG video: Everything can play it, Windows Movie Maker can edit it no problem, Elements 10 cannot import it, and gspot tells me it is an MJPEG and the codec is installed and fine.

What the heck is going on??

Do I need to export these MJPEGs from Windows Movie Maker and feed them into Elements 10? I can't afford to lose any video quality on those files...

I r dissapoint.

Help!

Thanks,

Brad

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 9, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to B.krit

For the Canon MJPEG, do you still have he utility CD/DVD, that came with the camera? If so, you should have Canon's MJPEG CODEC on it. It might be a simple, direct install, or might be installed with the camera's driver, or, and more likely, will install with the Canon editing and cataloging software. Even if you do not plan on using the software, you might need to install it, to get Canon's MJPEG CODEC.

As for the Goggle, what does the instruction book say about the video files?

Also, G-Spot can get confused by certain CODEC's, so you might want to run one of those files through MediaInfo, to see if it gives you more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to B.krit

Well, PrE is really a consumer program, with some of the features of PrPro, the professional editing program from Adobe.

Depending on the exact CODEC, it could well be that it is one, that PrE cannot work with. As a for instance, some NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs can work with the DivX, or Xvid CODEC's, when the correct versions are properly installed, but neither Premiere versions can, in most instances.

For some possible solutions, see this ARTICLE on working with MJPEG.

For more info on CODEC's, in general, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - maybe go to the Canon Web site, and see if they have utilities, and drivers for download, for that camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I had the same problem trying to work with 640 x 480 30 fps video (MJPG ) taken with a Canon PowerShot S5 IS still camera. Although the clips would load into Premiere Pro 1.5, trying to edit  more than 10 of them would freeze the program. Based on suggestions in this and other forums, I installed the Canon software for cataloging and image processing but it didn't help.

Premier Pro 1.5 is "old" and I wondered whether PrE 10 would handle the Canon MJPG clips. I downloaded the trial and found the clips would not even load. Then I discovered that if I changed the clip extension from .mpg to .avi they loaded fine. I have been able to edit and apply transitions and effects with no problems. Accordingly, I purchased PrE 10.

GSpot shows that I have 5 codecs available for my Canon MJPG video. Two of them are from Canon. One is from MainConcept that I got for Pro 1.5 but it did not help.  You might wonder whether changing the clip extensions to .avi would allow them to work better in Premier Pro 1.5. Unfortunately, the installation of PrE 10 prevents Premiere Pro from loading on my system, so I can't tell. I have been sufficiently happy with Elements that I don't feel the need to sort that problem out right now.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to roberhen2

I downloaded the trial and found the clips would not even load. Then I discovered that if I changed the clip extension from .mpg to .avi they loaded fine. I have been able to edit and apply transitions and effects with no problems. Accordingly, I purchased PrE 10.

Both of Adobe's NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs look for common CODEC's, in common "wrappers," i.e. the file format, like MOV, MP4, AVI, MPEG, WMV, etc.. When one wraps a common CODEC in a wrapper, where the program expects something else, it can get very confused.

This has been happening with some regularity, where some camera mfgrs. are choosing to wrap H.264 (common CODEC) in the AVI wrapper (un-common combo). To date, PrPro has addressed this CODEC/wrapper issue w/ a recent update. I anticipate that we might see similar with PrE 11, but do not kow that it will happen.

When camera mfgrs. "stray off the ranch," it takes companies, like Adobe, some time to catch up. In the case of PrPro, there are historically updates during its 18 mos. +/- life cycle. As PrE is on a 12 mo. life span cycle, not so often, though there HAVE been updates, like with PrE 3.0, when Vista was released just after PrE 3.0 was, and caused many issues. Same with some issues with PrE 8. When that does happen, there are often little "goodies" added in, that might have been sitting on the shelf, waiting for the next big upgrade - though not always.

As per another thread, we are seeing more and more still cameras, that shoot Video as 640 x 480 w/ PAR = 1.0 (square pixels), which is uncommon, by the general Video standards. However, as more mfgrs. do such things, Adobe will need to adapt, and at some point, adopt.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points