Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Better method for newspaper editing

Jun 9, 2012 11:45 AM

I've been able to make some news articles and export them to PDF with pleasing results and have been improving my efficiency with each completed document, but feel that there is a better way of doing it still.  Basically, what I'm making are articles that have about two to three images embedded in each article, and have maybe two to three jump lines which redirect the reader to other pages. 

I have about 35 articles total.  Is there a way to enter them all into InDesign, add appropriate images and captions to the articles, and add appropriate jump lines (if there's a way to add meta data to each article and specify a "jump line title" variable that will automatically fill in before "Next Page Number" / "Previous Page Number")?  So that way, I can pick and choose which articles to add to each newsletter volume instead of undertaking the laborious task of adding an article and having to manually edit every component.

Thx!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 9, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to DJRepresent

Hey, it sounds like you could use Section Markers. If you name your pages (assuming each article starts on a new page) you can have the section names be filled in automatically. Take at the document numbering options for more information on this: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f86173837 51001ea8cb3f-7111a.html

Your jump box could look like this: "[SectionMarker] continued on [NextPageNumber]"

Let me know if you still need help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to Alec Molloy

Next and previous page markers only work with threaded text frames, so the markers would need to either be in threaded frames themselves, or in frames that touch a set of threaded text frames.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to DJRepresent

If yo are placing text and images, not pages, from another document, this is exactly what the Next Page Marker and Previous Page Marker are intended for. Read about them in the help files. If you are placing pages, the markers can still work, but you'll have to thread the frames that you put them in instead of using stand-alone frames that touch your threaded text. You don't need a variable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points