Skip navigation
Susan XXX
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 10 suddenly incompatibility in Windows 7

Jun 10, 2012 11:37 AM

Yesterday I used PSE 10 in WIndows 7 home edition w/o any problems.  It had been transferred from an XP machine and running with XP service pack 2 compatibility, and I have been running it almost daily w/o any problems for about 3 months. 

This morning when I tried to open PSE 10 I got error message:

" Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Program C:\ProgramFile (X86........    this file has requested

the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

When I ran PSE troubleshooting, it returned "Incompatible Application Detected", telling me that PSE 10 was incompatible with my version of Windows. However, I have not made any changes to Windows. 

I tried to change the compatibility (rt-click on PSE desktop icon/properties/compatibility), experimenting with Windows 7, XP service pack 2 and XP service pack 3, but they all return exactly the same error.

I don't have an install disk for PSE 10 (I downloaded it from the Photoshop web site).  I'm afraid to uninstall it because I'm not sure how I would be able to reinstall it. 

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome.

Thank you,    Susan XXX

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,848 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Susan XXX

Sorry to hear of your problems Susan.

The editor saved prefs often get corrupted. You may need to rebuild the editor preferences to resolve any conflicts.Hold down the Ctrl+Shift+Alt keys and simultaneously click on the Edit button on the welcome screen. Release the three keys and look behind the welcome screen by closing it. Or hold down the keys whilst double clicking on PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

You should see a pop up box with the words: Delete Adobe Photoshop Elements Settings File?

Click on Yes

Then wait whilst Elements rebuilds the preferences.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Susan XXX

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to Susan XXX

Just For Your Information: 

PSE10 does not need to run in any special compatibiliy mode on Win7.

If you ever need to re-install PSE, you can download the PSE10 trial version from Adobe and install that, then use your serial number to register it.

God only knows what corrupted the MediaDatabase.db3 file.  Sometimes it's better not to know....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to photodrawken

She did not need to reinstall.

You're welcome Susan XXX. Glad to help

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)