Skip navigation

Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?

May 9, 2012 5:16 AM

Tags: #cs6 #dw #bugreport
  Latest reply: nicholas_d, Feb 28, 2014 1:14 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to ndekruijk

I was going to post today to ask the same question. I hope the silence is because the Adobe programmers are working on a solution. I've spotted a couple of other annoying bugs in Dreamweaver that worry me somewhat. Seems to show a lack of a good testing regime.

I'm hoping that Apple will reveal new Mac Pros on Monday at WWDC. My MacPro 1,1 is due an update and perhaps the extra power will be enough to cope with DW's dodgy programming. Bit of an expensive way to fix the problem, though

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 3:25 AM   in reply to TWSoftware

Hi DW Users,

TWSoftware,

curtStaubach

and

Ldude32

helped us in nailing down the issue by joining Adobe Connect session from their Mac machines. With their help we could reproduce the "Slow typing" issue at our end in Mac machines (only). Thanks Guys! We appreciate your help. We are investigating the root cause for this issue right now.

But we could not reproduce the same yet in Windows at our end. So if PC (Windows) users can join Adobe Connect session, it will be of great help! People who are willing to join Adobe Connect session can directly mail me at jlakshmi@adobe.com. We appreciate your cooperation to nail down this issue!

Regards,

Janaki

(PS: You can refer me as She )

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 3:26 AM   in reply to Janaki Lakshmikanthan

Hi Janaki

That's great news! Looking forward to the update in due course.

Andy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to Concept211

for whatever it's worth, I've been experiencing the same excessive CPU usage w/ DW 6 on a ThinkPad W520 with an i7 processor, Win7 x64 w/ 8 GB RAM. I have a "CPU meter" that shows the activity on all cores, and they pretty much all light up-- and continue indefinitely-- while using DW. It's kind of comical that my system runs completely quiet when using PS 64-bit, but goes haywire when running DW, i.e. fan going at full blast, etc. I hope this issue will be fixed soon...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to npish

I've been experiencing the same excessive CPU usage w/ DW 6 on a ThinkPad W520

Does this occur with a new, blank  HTML page?

File > New > Blank > HTML > pick any layout...

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Hi Nancy-- thanks for your reply; wow, it does in fact make a huge difference when viewing the "File > New Document" dialog, as depicted in the attached screengrab. The image shows a grab of DW with the new document selection window open, and the corresponding CPU activity at right, juxtaposed with that of DW with a blank document open. For whatever reason, the CPU activity appears to be normal in the former scenario and excessive in the latter. In fact, I've noticed that the activity is mirrored with pretty much any dialog open-- e.g. the File > Open dialog, the "Manage sites" dialog, etc-- in which case the CPU activity is normal; but at soon as those windows are closed, and either just a document is open-- or even when nothing is open at all-- the CPU activity goes berserk. Very bizarre...

DW6-CPU-COMP.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to npish

I'm on Windows 7 and was able to replicate npish's scenario. Every time a new file window or even the preference window is open, the cpu usage drops to 1-2% and picks up again when its closed. Bizarre indeed...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to aw2xcd

thanks for the corroboration aw2xcd; so I'm curious, from the Adobe folks, is this an issue you're looking at and/or addressing in an upcoming DW update?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to Ldude32

I may have found the answer. I was having the same problem with DW CS6 on my Mac PowerBook (2010-mid-year model, 8GB, high-res, running an external Dell 1620x1200 monitor). I turned off all visual aids, related files, etc, with no change. I just turned off "Show Grid." Voilá! No slow typing. No spinning beach ball. I'm ecstatic. I hope this works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to Ldude32

@bunnyslippers - I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you and thanks for posting. Turning off 'show grids' did not work for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to bunnyslippers

Turning off "Show Grid" didn't work for me, either. That's something that applies to design view whereas the slow problem occurs everywhere for me - design view, code view - even scrolling the local files on my disk in DW with no files open is noticeably slower than in any other application.

Glad you're OK though, bunnyslippers!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to TWSoftware

So sorry to hear it. :-( I would love to hear if this worked for anyone else.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to Ldude32

I noticed the same problem with Dw CS6 on my iMac with Core 2 Duo / 10.7.4 / ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB yesterday when intalled tryout. Slow scrolling and typing (I use just Code view). I don't have the same problem on Core i7 / Win7-x64 PC, but I've noticed Dw CS6 on Win7 PC in idle mode takes 13 or more percent CPU usage. O_o

Also I noticed when I switch between apps to Dw CS6 on 10.7.4, I see dark grey screen for about 1 sec. before I see Dw CS6 window.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to Ldude32

I just noticed that I have the slowness problem on a Macbook Pro running DW6.

Previously running DW4 and trial of DW5.5 with no issues.

I do notice the slowness more while editing certain HTML files. The HTML itself is not huge, but the CSS files it links to are large. I tried turning off every feature I could think of.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Joseph.A.Salinas

The issue is definitely persistant with the Windows version as well. 

System:

Core i7 2620 @ 2.7GHZ

8GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 6630M

All power setting configured for maximum performance.

I can run Photoshop 64-Bit without issues and only ever reach about 12-16% CPU usage

Dreamweaver 32-Bit is idling at 25% ... yes, idling.  The second it's launched my fan goes insane.

I find the problem mostly occuring whenever I try to save a file I am working on, or randomly throughout work Dreamweaver will freeze/lag for about 2-20 seconds and "stop respsonding" a-la Windows Task Manager.

I am using the Trial Version of Dreamweaver CS6 on Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 10:46 PM   in reply to brandinchiu

@brandinchiu: Thanks for confirming that you seeing the CPU usage issue on Windows.

can you let us know what is the screen/Monitor size you are using?

-Arun

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to ArunKaza

1600x900 LED laptop display @ 13'.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to Ldude32

Any update on this?  Would like to upgrade to CS6 but I generally find the ability to type in an app important.  It's just one of those things.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to zetokore

ArunK and I are having a connect session this Friday morning EST to try and hammer out what's happening.  We'll be taking a look at the Windows variant of the problem, but it does mean that they are actively looking for a solution to this problem. Just hang tight.  As for the upgrade, CS6 does offer a couple huge benefits and I would completely recommend it. Big one for me is the faster FTP and improved Live View that actually works well now

Also, new embedded support for JQuery and CSS3 really makes it stand out against traditional IDE's if you're looking for some extra development help.  I'm sure a patch will be pushed out as soon as everything is worked out on their end and they discover why this crazy stuff is occuring.  But at least they're actually working with the community to get it solved rather than just shutting us out with the old Apple trick, aka "We're working on a solution, go away while we bang our heads against it alone".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to brandinchiu

Heh would love to upgrade for the additional features but DW is unusable at the moment, I could type a line a text, leave the room, and come back to still see those characters slowly appearing.  I'll be crossing my fingers something good comes out of your session Friday.

On a side-note Sublime Text 2 (OS X) also exhibits this issue, but not nearly as bad.  The larger I make the editing window, the less responsive typing becomes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to zetokore

Hmmm. Would be nice if someone had access to the Developer preview of Mountain Lion to see if these issues persisted in the new version of OS X.  I don't have DW on my Mac so I can't check : (.  But there must be some kind of efficiency error happening somewhere if there are issues in the Windows version too.  I don't really get screen shuddering or lag, but Dreamweaver is eating up 25% of my CPU cycles while idling, which is insane for a something which is for the most part just a text editor.

I certainly hope I can help them figure out the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Ldude32

I was wondering how things were progressing. Really keen for a fix to this as, like others are experiencing here, I can go and do something else while I wait for DW CS6 to catch up with my typing - even though I've sized the window down on my monitor as much as can.

I hate to say it but it looks to me as if the beta testing on DW wasn't up to scratch as there are a couple of other really annoying bugs that I hope are also fixed in the next update.

1) A small point, but bringing up find and change, typing in to the top box and then pressing tab to go to the lower box - doesn't. The tab order isn't correct so you have to physically click in the lower box before you can type.

2) Auto-complete dropdowns. Sometimes these appear and then won't go away again without quitting the application!?!

These 2 problems happen all the time and I can't understand how they weren't picked up during testing?!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:30 PM   in reply to TWSoftware

@TWSoftware:

For the first point mentioned, is this on Mac platform?

If yes, then please note that we are actively working on a fix and release plan to get that fix to you at the earliest.

Can you elaborate more on the second issue that you have mentioned here?

Also, what are the other major annoying bugs/concerns that you are seeing in DWCS6?

Thanks,

Arun

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to zetokore

@zetokore:

Until we are investigating on slow typing issue on windows and getting a fix for it, you can choose to reduce the size of your document and see if it helps in increasing the speed?

I know this is not a good workaround, but worth a try.

Are you on windows or Mac?

-Arun

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to ArunKaza

Arun,

Customize Favorites (Insert > Customize Favorites):

1. This window should be resizable. I have to scroll and scroll and scroll to find where you may have hidden the command I want. You can't get there by typing the first few letters of the word, either, because that only jumps by section, not by command. If I don't know where Adobe might have stuck the command, it's useless.

2. Any tag in the tag library should be available to add to the Favorites list. I want to add h4, h5, h6. I can't. In fact, the only way to insert these tags without typing them by hand, is to use the Godawful "Tag Chooser" (which I'll get to later.)

Background activity window

1. "Server timed out. Cancelling....". This is the #1 complaint I have, and from the looks of the forums, it's the #1 complaint overall. The window just sits there until you force-quit the application. Pressing "cancel" does nothing. Closing the window gives you a warning that you will cancel the activity (oh, hope-against-hope), but it doesn't work.

2. We need to be able to keep this window open (preferably dockable) and keep the "details" triangle tipped down—I can't think of a time when I would want to bring up this window and NOT see the detail. To have to open it every time is a pain.

Tag Chooser (Insert > Tag)

1. This window gets in the way. It should be dockable, like most other panels, and closeable with the standard keystroke combination (Command W, on a Mac) or "X" in the upper left corner, as with most windows. The "close" button is in a nonstandard place, and it's annoying. Same with the "Find/Replace" window.

2. The commands I want are buried three or four layers deep beneath unintuitive headings. I'm looking for the "div" tag, so I try "Page composition." That sounds like it would refer to page structure—i.e., layout,  but no—page composition includes a "general" subheading (why??) which then yields link, base and meta tags—head elements. Why not group these in a category called head elements?? Next I look under "page elements." Surely, a "div" must be a page element. But no—instead, I get "applet" and "marquee." WTF? Finally, I find "div" under the Formatting and Layout heading...but first I have to scroll through tags I will never, ever use, like <blink> and <wbr>. WBR???

3. I want to be able to edit, reorganize, and hide or at least dim commands right in this window. I also want to be able to change the font size.

The tag chooser, therefore, is useless, because in the time it takes me to find the tag I want, I could have written the code myself ten times over.

More later.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to bunnyslippers

@bunnyslippers:

Thanks a lot for all the detailed explanation of the issues. I would request you to kindly submit them seperately through the below link:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?event=processform&name= wishform

Submitting them will get registered in the system internally, and would not get lost here in threads.

Regards,

Arun

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to ArunKaza

I will do that. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to ArunKaza

I created another user account and tested Dreamweaver again using the same parameters you asked of me last night, and no luck.  Was still consuming the same 25% CPU on the other account. Hope this helps, and good luck on finding a fix for us!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to ArunKaza

My trial has expired so I can't retest I'm afraid, but from what I can remember I believe shrinking the window did help but I had to keep it so small it wasn't practical.  I'm on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to brandinchiu

Brandin..

Thought Id throw in my 2 cents...cause it might be useful... to start.. SWIM has2 coppies of DW.. a licensed CS6.... and one that may or may not have an unlicenced copy on it...

However, SWIM  can confirm, this problems happens on both PC's

SWIM runs 2 seperate duplicate   quadcore i5's 16gb ram. win7  (that should be enough about the computers)

WIth out confirming or denying anything, SWIM has seen an unreseolved issue of DW (legal or non), put what could have been my computers at 32-35%...at idle... with a drop on menu over to almost 0...

heres my potentially usefull info...

if Processexplorer is run during DW, One might see that DW (with related files turned off)  is looping through previously related files on the hard drive.  at  rate of 50-100 per sec...

One might also see many odd processes and registry keys get run evererey 10-15 mins...... such as location awarness,  a ping to google maps,  accessing the temporary internet files,    and, t looks as though DW runs through the entire set of .Dll's in system 32..  I have to assurmae that some of those are not useful to Debi.

So a potential sussupicion that no one one has spoken about yet,  That all Progrmas (PS ID AI...etc)are like this, DW, was just not as tight as the others in regards to layout, code or whatever.. Either way... not sure...

Or Since DW should require 1 of the lowest requirements for processing...It would be smart to putt software on the Mac..

But I can assure anyone who has hacked a copy of this software, regardless of  following the sheet, and replacing host files... Adobe probably knows about it.  Watch the processes through processmonitor sometime... u'll see what i mean

google Process Monitor by the way, is a free microsoft tool...

anyway, you could probably deny DW Access to all of those .dll files,   which might help..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to GtfnDW

Hmmm, that's really interesting, and would definitely cause Dreamweaver to consume the above-mentioned CPU cycles.  If someone from Adobe can confirm that this is intended behaviour that would be great.  That would also explain why opening menu-dialogs would drop the CPU back to 0% as it halts all background processes from the application and forces you to deal with the window.  My software is gonna be done soon, so I'll be picking up my version of Web Premium on Friday.  I'll follow-through with some more tests, and if the problem persists as you mentioned, I will eagerly await a patch from Adobe.

Thanks for the comment!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to brandinchiu

Has there been any resolution to this? I am experiencing the same problem in CS6 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, 4GB RAM, Optiplex 790, i7-2600 3.40GHz. Typing is incredibly slow, since I can't see what I am typing I make lots of errors, then backspacing is insanely slow. It's making Dreamweaver unusable for me.

Other details:

Switching to the app using alt-tab is VERY slow (~6 seconds to get the window to activate and draw)

Reducing the window size seems to help speed but makes the program unusuable

I use WebDAV to connect to my web server and have a site defined in Dreamweaver that points to the W: networked drive. This used to work well.

thanks for any updates

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to Center for Peace Studies

Not yet. Last I've heard from Adobe was last week during a connect session. I'm assuming that a fix is in the works, they couldn't afford not to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to brandinchiu

Thanks for the information. I wonder if Adobe would provide an older copy of DW to work with in the meantime?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to Center for Peace Studies

Although I don't doubt that Adobe are working on a fix for this, I'd recommend not bothering with an older version as I've found them to be pretty unstable too. I've stuck with Dreamweaver for a few years now and each update seems to introduce new bugs while not fixing many of the existing ones. It's a shame, as the rest of the suite seems to be pretty solid. I don't have problems with Photoshop or InDesign but DW since version CS2 has crashed on a regular basis and CS6 just adds to this by introducing new bugs, crashes and situations where you have to force quit the program because it's not working properly.

My advice is to either hold on and hope for a fix or look for an alternative application to use.

I had a session with Adobe about the slow typing 2 months ago and soon after they said they could reproduce the problem but it's been pretty quiet since then...

If I sound fed up, then it's because I am. I'm sure Adobe are doing their best but DW has been by far the worst performing Adobe application for so long now that I've got to the stage where I'm going to actively look for a replacement.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Ldude32

Ldude32 - I totally agree. I saw the single-window interface and thought things had changed for the better. It sounds like you've been going through a similar thought process to me. I've been looking at the same alternatives you mention. There's also TextMate, Sublime Text and BBEdit to add to the mix.

After lots of thought and experimenting I've decided to go for Coda 2. I bought a license at the weekend (it's still 25% off). I agree with you, it's not perfect however I work in code view all the time and it's ideal for that. Adding my existing DW sites has been pain free and I'm enjoying not having to contend with the DW bugs I've been putting up with for what seems like far too long now.

A part of me thinks it's a shame to have to spend out money on a new web editor when Adobe will continue to get the same amount from me for my Creative Cloud subscription. After the reduced-rate year is up I'm going to look carefully at what programs I use and can see myself buying Photoshop CS6 and going back to my DVD's for InDesign CS5 and Illustrator CS5. Taking DW out of the mix makes the membership option seem rather pointless.

I hope, for the sake of the others on this thread who are sticking with DW, that the many problems are resolved soon. I wish you all luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Ldude32

A real nightmare...

How can Adobe make so bad software and so expensive !!!

Dreamweaver CS6 is just a real big nightmare, SLOW, SLOW, SLOW....

No way to work with this, open is slow, but worst is the scroll of the page, code or/and design VERY VERY SLOW....

GoLive was the best of all HTML editor, intuitive, Mac style, no need to read any manual, but you must with DW....

GoLive had a very good CSS editor, but in DW, nothing, look like we are idiots for Adobe and don't need to have any wysiwyg CSS editor...

Need to learn the bible of DW, before you can work with it....

Had to move to DW after installing Lion Mac OS X, very sad about this, but after many bad try, I had to read the manual for first time in my life (like Windows user), and did see that all intuitive use was gone away, OK did it, no choise...

But now, with CS6, a new nightmare... You can use any other HTML editor, all are 1000% better as DW and 10000% faster...

Hope Adobe will stop take use for idiots and make a usable DW version...

We are on Mac, with MacPro 2x3GHz Quad Core, 16GB RAM, and a SSD hard disk on 10.7.4, with this config it's juste a BIG NIGHTMARE, did try it on a MacBook Air 1.7GHz Core i%, 4GB RAM, SSD hard drive, almost same nightmare, just a little faster...

Please Adobe developer's, do correct this SAP...

All user of CS6 of DW, should request refund for this bad software

Sorry to talk true's like this, but to match is to match...

Thanks to fix this...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to askdvdesign

I'm not sure about the Mac version, but an update just went out for the PC version a little while ago.  If there is an update, you can try to see if it fixes anything.  I may download the trial for Mac and test it out with Mountain Lion to see if there is still an issue (don't see how it may fix it, but worth a try). 

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points