Skip navigation
Vaskania
Currently Being Moderated

Help regaining CS5 upper menu with CS6 (zoom level/arrange/etc).

May 24, 2012 11:25 PM

I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something, and that it hasn't been removed from CS6, but I'm hoping to regain the upper menu icons from CS5. See below for what I'm referring to. Thanks for any help.

CS5_icons.jpg

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,918 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 25, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to Vaskania

Click on whatever Workspace you are using at the top right of the screen, and choose Reset

If you can't see the Workspace button because of your missing menu, try hitting the Alt key (if on a PC) and going  Window > Workspace > reset (whatever workspace you are using (Probably Essentials)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to Vaskania

That (application bar) was removed in photoshop cs6.

You might use configurator to make a panel with those functions.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/configurator/

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,918 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 25, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to Vaskania

Mini Bridge is opened from Window > Extensions > Mini Bridge 

When you have launced it, resize and position where yo want it, and toggle it on and off by clicking on the Mini Bridge icon.  Probably an idea to save the Workspace when you find your favourite way to use mini Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to Vaskania

if you find such a panel or make one....

many here would probably like to have a copy of it, please!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Doug.S

I'm looking for this too!  Would love to see a little "hack" to get it back.  When drawing on my Wacom Cintiq, I used it all the time in CS5.5 for zooming in and out to even increments.  The Cintiq has the touch strips for zooming, but I like going to even increments like 25%, 50%, etc. because it didn't "distort" the lines of the drawing.  I just downloaded Configurator.  I'll see what I can come up with.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to Mattaton

Okay...check out this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4459980#4459980

Paul Riggot is the man and hooked me up with the perfect script to use with configurator to get a a Zoom In and Zoom Out button that zooms to preset zoom percentages.  12.5, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400.  This is about as close as I can get to the missing zoom menu.

To use this, open Configurator, create a new panel.  Ad two "Script" buttons to the panel.  In the right side panel, scroll down to the OBJECT section with one of the new buttons selected.  Click the pencil beside the "Script" text box.  In the text editor window that opens, paste all of the script that Paul gave me.

Look for this section:

if(!documents.length) return;

var zoomLevels=[12.5, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400];

zoomIn();

//zoomOut();

For the Zoom In button, make sure that "ZoomOut()" is commented out as it is above.

For the Zoom Out button, remove the '//' from the zoomOut(); line and add the "//" in front of zoomIn();.

Resize the panel dimensions so ou can get it as small as possible.

Now export the panel to your Photoshop plugins folder.

I'm sure that if I knew how to Export as CS Extension I could save all of you the trouble.  But I don't know what Javascript .exe file it wants me to point to in the export dialog.

Hope this helps!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 5:50 PM   in reply to Mattaton

Added a few more commands.  Can't remember all of what the CS5 menu did though.  I only used the zoom drop-down on CS5.

Menu_Capture.jpg
    This will do the zoom in and out incrementally, show and hide guides, grid, slices and rulers, and, as the button suggests, clear guides and slices.  I just slide the panel all the way to the top and it's about as close to having the old CS5 menu back as I can get it after an hour or so of playing with configurator.  There may be a way to do more with it.  Like dropdown menus.  But, I haven't figured that out yet.  I'd also like to use icons in place of words.  But, I didn't get into that....yet. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to Mattaton

Okay....last self-reply of the night.  I figured out how to make the panel an extension for easy installation.  You can just download the file, double click it and the extension manager will allow you to install it (it is self-signed, so you will get an "untrusted" warning).  Then it'll be available under Windows > Extensions.

http://www.tyreeonline.com/CS5Controls.zip

Once you download the file, change the extension from .zip to .zxp

Have fun! :-)

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jun 11, 2012 3:47 AM   in reply to Vaskania

" I mainly enjoyed the easy access to the guides/grides/rulers"

Hello, post these shortcuts next to your screen until you remember them:

Show hide rulers: CTRL+R(PC) CMD+R (Mac)

Show/hide guides: CTRL+; (PC) CMD+; (Mac)

Show/hide grids: CTRL+' (PC) CMD+' (Mac)

Zoom in: CTRL+Spacebar CMD+Spacebar

Zoom out: ALT+Spacebar.

Zoom in/out: ALT+Scrollwheel/ALT+two fingers on the touchpad

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Also for zooming in and out without mouse clicks:

Zoom In : CTRL and +

Zoom Out : CTRL and -

I assume substitute CTRL for CMD on Mac.

I use this method as well as the SPACE+CTRL/ALT method when working with the mouse and keyboard mostly.  Still prefer the zoom menu when working on the Cintiq.  Locking to "clean" zoom levels with one click (tap) and no keyboard is sweet.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jun 11, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to Mattaton

Hi, Mattaton. I have one question: Do you usually rest your hand on the lower right of the keyboard?

I can't reach with one hand the + or - keys while holding the left side CTRL/CMD keys, so I never use that shortcut... and If I could, I'd find it a long hit, prone to make errors.

Is there something I overlooked?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

You know how it goes, it's all about how you work and what you get used to.

For me, I started using the CTRL and +/- when I got the Cintiq.  I set the keyboard off to my left and it's easy to hit that key combo with the left hand when the right side of the keyboard is closest to you (using the right CTRL key).

When I'm using a regular set up....keyboard in front of me, and right hand on the mouse...I use your keyboard shortcuts.  The space bar, CTRL, and ALT keys for zooming and panning in conjunction with the mouse.  But I have, on occasion, actually taken my right hand off the mouse and used the right CTRL +/- method too.

I definitely would not be able to reach from left CTRL to the +/- keys though.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jun 11, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to Mattaton

Thanks for the insight, yes, using a cintiq, it makes sense to have the KB on the side.

I'm of course not judging your way to work, (to each its own, as they say), I was genuinely interested to know in what cases the CTRL+/- were easy to reach, or it lefties were using it, for instance.

(Now, I'm afraid this thread will attract braggers that can reach  +/- from the left CTRL keys )

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

HA!  I didn't take it that way.  No worries. :-)

If anyone can use the left CTRL key with +/- (with on hand) then good for them!  :-D

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to Vaskania

Have you tried the navigator pannle. Windows/Navigator once this is open you can jsut click the little mountains near the zoom slidder. Anyways not to hijack this thread but is it possible to add more incriments to the mountain buttons?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 1:53 AM   in reply to Vaskania

Really hate Adobe for removing Zoom level info from Panel. CS6 looks like program for housewifes, not professionals.

I also need original Crop Tool with Resolution Box on Panel. Improvements  must be always backwards compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to -=realsam=-

You have to keep in mind Adobe is not necessarily in the business of making anything better - they are in the business of making money quickly. So unless they can outwardly show significant changes to their software, no one will spend $1500 to $4000 to upgrade. And an easy way to show change is by rearranging the UI and removing otherwise logically placed features. Proof positive of an atrocious UI is Acrobat X Pro. Whoever scripted that is probably unemployed - you can't even rearrange the toolbars!

I read an employee comment within another thread, something to the effect of Adobe removing the zoom and arrange toolbars to increase screen real estate because a majority of customers requested it. Proof positive BS since all you have to do is hit TAB and BOOM more real estate. Making his statement even more moronic is most professional graphic artist have at least dual monitors @ 24 inches and above.

So again, instead of making the UI more efficient they remove features to make it look newer. And that's why I still use CS5 for the majority of my projects!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points