• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installation Downloads Confusion

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the past couple of years I have installed 4 different Flash Player downloads as follows: 1) install_flash_player_32bit, 2) install_flash_player_ax_32bit, 3) install_flash_player, and 4) install_flash_player_ax (the ax downloads are for IE while the others are for non-IE browsers).

The latest release 11.3.300.257 didn't have a 32-bit downloads. Does it mean both 64-bit and 32-bit are covered by the same installation? The publisher seems to change the naming conventions for these downloads or the number of versions in each new release. Could anyone resolve this confusion or point to a source that explains which type browsers are covered by each download?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alexandershom wrote:

Does it mean both 64-bit and 32-bit are covered by the same installation?

Yes, see http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.ht...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, I would like to believe that, but the link you provided doesn't say so. How did you establish this from this link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right; the link I provided does not make that clear.

I have tried to look up from where I originally obtained that information (that the 32-bit & 64-bit installers have been combined), but I cannot find it,

The only thing that implies that change is that previously (FP 11.2) there were 4 installers for Windows

1. install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.exe
  2. install_flash_player_11_plugin_32bit.exe
  3. install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.exe
  4. install_flash_player_11_plugin_64bit.exe

Now there are only two

1. install_flash_player_11_active_x.exe
  2. install_flash_player_11_plugin.exe

and they will install both 32-bit and 64-bit Flash Players on 64-bit systems.

Note that also the distribution download page has changed to reflect only two Windows installers: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. also, the 11.3 installers are about double in size from the 11.2 installers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Pat. Your last post is the most convincing. How/Where can we give the publisher feedback about the lack of information on combining the two installers? Leaving users in the dark, guessing what is going on is not a friendly conduct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so does it mean that if one has a 32 bit system that the 64 bit version installs also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another fpupdate wrote:

so does it mean that if one has a 32 bit system that the 64 bit version installs also?

No if your system is 32-bit, then only the 32-bit version of flash will be installed\updated.

Installer behavior (this is what I found in my testing):

32-bit OS - Install or update 32-bit Flash Player

64-bit OS - Install or update 32-bit and 64bit Flash Player (both versions are installed regardless of what version exists prior to installation)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, officially from Adobe, we now have unified installers for Windows Flash Player for Internet Explorer and Plugin based browsers.  When you download, you'll get both the 32 and 64bit binaries in a single installer.  If installing on a 32bit system, only the 32bit player will be installed.  When installing on a 64bit system, both 32 and 64bit binaries will be installed.

I too am surprised we didn't publicize this further.  I think it's a welcome change.  I'd like to see us just have a single installer regardless of the browser some day in the future.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks in regard to my question in theis thread. : )

Now as far as the uninstaller. Is there just one uninstaller now when one goes to the help page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Campbell wrote:

I'd like to see us just have a single installer regardless of the browser some day in the future.

Anybody agreeing with this statement, please go to https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2945082 and vote for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Chris, Thank you for your official note and the communication. I hope the responsible party realized the necesity for proper documentation listing new features and changes in each new release, and will make the efforts to provide such documentation on future download webpages. Two lines could have prevented all the confusion and the time spent on finding answers on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alexandershom wrote:

Thank you, Pat. Your last post is the most convincing. How/Where can we give the publisher feedback about the lack of information on combining the two installers? Leaving users in the dark, guessing what is going on is not a friendly conduct.

I agree, this should be specified in the documentation. I suspected the two were combined and had to manually confirm by installing it on a x64 OS and x32 OS. Hopefully an Adobe employee will see this and make note to have this included in the future documenation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines