Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player not updating

Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 7 (64-bit), IE9 and have Flash Player set to install updates automatically.   However, despite it being enabled, as of 22:30, 10th June it is still 11.2 and I understand 11.3 is released.  Why hasn't it updated?Capture.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard question.  Just booted up and it has prompted to install! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Similar to the original poster in this thread, I have found that the automatic updater of Adobe Flash Player version 11.2.202.235 did not auto update to 11.3.300.257 64 bit. This occurred on all 3 of my PCs (2x Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 and 1x Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2). A Windows XP SP3 VM (managed with VMware Workstation) also experienced this issue (however the 32 bit version of Flash Player is being installed here).

I only use Internet Explorer 9, 64 bit on all of the above 64 bit PCs. The Windows XP VM uses Internet Explorer 8. The Adobe Flash Player Update Service (FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe) is set to a start-up type of Manual (the default setting). I can also see in the Windows Task Scheduler that once every hour it is checking for the update but is not installing it. The timer simply increments by one hour every time.

The previous security update for Flash Player 11.2.202.233 updating to 11.2.202.235 worked perfectly on all of the above PCs. I was thoroughly impressed by the speed at which this security update was deployed and in such a silent manner. It meant less manual work for me to carry out.

Has this update to 11.3.300.257 failed since it an update that incorporates a full dot version change i.e. 11.2 à 11.3 ? Does the automatic updater support such an update? In order to resolve the issue of the Flash Player automatic updater not working, I simply manually downloaded and installed 11.3.300.257. The risk of keeping the old version installed any longer is simply too great to allow the non-functional updater to continue its hourly check with no action being taken. However, I should not have to do this.

With 11.3.300.257, the automatic updater is once again set to the recommended setting. I am hoping that this version of the updater performs as expected. If at any time over the last number of days (i.e. since Friday, the 8th of June) your update servers were experiencing an issue that delayed/prevented the deployment of this update, this should have made clear on the PSIRT blog ( http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/ ) or via this forum. Leaving customers to assume they are protected against the security vulnerabilities addressed by this update is not the correct approach.

Please find below a download link to the the Flash Player Install log from 1 of my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit PCs:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=669356BE500E17FB!146&authkey=!ANSpkLiJiqcZLEw

If you require any further information in order to troubleshoot this issue or to prevent it from occurring again, please let me know. Thank you in advance for any advice that you can provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous update from 11.2.202.233 to 11.2.202.235 was silent in that I had no prompts or buttons to press to download and install;  I simply looked and it was updated.  Where as 11.2.202.235 to 11.3.300.257 had an install screen and buttons I had to press to facilitate its update.  I would expect this with "Notify me to install updates" checked, but I have "Allow Adobe to install updates" checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the following post for more details.  I'll put together a FAQ on this and also get our help documentation/tech notes updated.  This was confusing for me too.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4483381#4483381

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Chris,

Thank very much for your

email and for the detailed forum thread containing the link to the bug report. Apologies for not replying sooner, its been a little hectic for me lately.

I am really glad that Adobe

is taking the time to act on customer feedback that will improve the experience

for everyone. I am always impressed by Adobe Flash and especially the new

automatic updater. It’s great that Adobe has made an enormous step in

automatically securing its products. This will make the IT world a safer place.

I really like the new

updater but it’s a shame that the hidden details of when a security update that

is also a feature update will be made available to customers are not as

accessible as they should be.

However the information

that you have supplied fills in all of the gaps for me.

I have voted for the bug report that you

kindly linked to. Thank you again for your time.

Kind Regards,

Jim CollinsDate: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:15:17 -0600

To: jimboc07@hotmail.com

Subject: Flash Player not updating

Re: Flash Player not updating

created by Chris Campbell in Using Flash Player - View the full discussion

Please see the following post for more details. I'll put together a FAQ on this and also get our help documentation/tech notes updated. This was very confusing for me too. http://forums.adobe.com/message/4483381#4483381 I'd also like to recommend voting for the following bug: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3211239 Chris

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Using Flash Player by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines