I am typesetting Croatian text, with lot of diacritics. When I export finished layout to RTF so I can import it back to Word or to some other text processor, these diacritis are repleced by some characters in wrong encodings. I am using InDesign CS5 (version 7.0.4) on Mac computer. The same thing happens with importing/pasting in Word, Pages, TextEdit, any e-mail program etc. Has anybody any idea about the solution?
For those who are willing to play a little bit with this, here is the sample sentence in Croatian with some critical characters (čćžđš):
"U zimskim mjesecima u toploj kuhinji djeca su pozorno slušala zanimljive priče iz starine, priče o duhovima i mrtvacima, o doživljenim događajima, kao i o događajima u kojima roditelji nisu sudjelovali, ali koje su se prepričavale u selu."
Try to paste/input this sentence in InDesign CS5, then export story to rtf, and then import the rtf in Word or Pages, or simply try to copy from InDesign and paste it to Word/Pages.
I would appreciate any suggestions or solutions.
Well, they're not supposed to disappear. I regulary run 20+ languages into and out of InDesign via RTF, and your Croatian text should be easy (compared to, say, Burmese). I copied your sample text into ID and exported an RTF with no character drops whatsoever.
Are you placing your Croatian text, or are you keying it directly into InDesign? If so, what kind of input method are you using?
What is the name of the font you are using in ID? Is it the same font you're using in Word/Pages?
In InDesign, select a single character with a diacritic (ž) with the text tool, then go to Type -> Glyphs. If you mouse over it, the popup should read "LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON." If it's just a normal z, then something is wrong.
Do the same thing in Word - I don't know where they hide Insert Symbol on Word for Mac, but in Windows, the bottom of the Insert Symbol menu will report the Unicode name "LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON" just as in InDesign.
somehow I lost the contact with this thread, and I somehow used some ad hoc methods to help myself in those rare cases when I had to export anything from ID back to Word during last year. To my disapointment, today when I installed brand new CS6 and tried to export the text to epub and rtf- in all the three cases there was the same error: my source text in ID was
and what I have got in epub and rtf was:
and this happens with exporting as well as with copy-paste.
Strangely enough, when I paste to another Adobe application there is no problem. Still more strange is that when I paste the text, for example in DW it is pasted corectly, then if I copy it from DW and paste it in Text Edit or Pages, for example, it goes without the problem. It really drives me crazy. I myself am not without experience with different typographies (devanagary, nastaliq) and I was very happy to see that the support for Devanagari is finally included in this new version of ID. But this problem with Croatian diactitics ramained mistery to me.
(for your info, I was using Adobe Garamond Pro and couple of other fonts. They all went through bad, except Arial Unicode which gave almost exact result, messing just one character.)
Thank you once more for your answer.
my source text in ID was
and what I have got in epub and rtf was:
If you select capital-S-with-caron the text tool in ID, and then go to Type->Glyphs, the S-with-caron will be highlighted. If you mouse over it, the popup will tell you if InDesign thinks it's a S-with-caron, or a copyright symbol. If InDesign thinks it's a copyright symbol, then the problem is with your text. It's probably something like MacCentralEuropean, or some other of those 1990s-era OS 9 encodings. If InDesign reports it correctly... well, then I don't know what the problem is, but I suspect that it is not an InDesign problem. The fact that you have different problems when your text is marked w/Adobe Garamond Pro versus Arial Unicode is suspicious, but I suspect that you'll find that your Croatian text is encoded incorrectly.
Alternately, if you could post an example file (to Dropbox or YouSendIt or some other such service) I could analyze the file directly and tell you "It's a problem with the Croatian encoding" or "It works perfectly; something is wrong with your OS or your install of ID." By the way, please do tell us which OS you are using.
I am using Mac OS X Lion. I also thought that it might be some problem of the OS, but, then again, how come that the same text copied and pasted from Dreamweaver goes back and forth without any problem. And, of course, I have checked in the Gliphs table in ID – it recognizes the characters corectly, i.e. "Latin capital letter z with caron" etc. Here is the link to the Dropbox folder with the files:
In the folder you can find:
I am really eager to hear how it showed at your machine.
I opened your IDML file in CS5.5 - seems I haven't yet installed CS6 on my laptop. At any rate, I could export problem-free epub and rtf from your file. Yet the epub and rtf you posted on your Dropbox display the character drops. The fact that you can't even successfully copy and paste such text out of ID into TextEdit (and that I can) points to something wrong with your install of ID. I would expect that either resetting your preferences, or at worst reinstalling ID would resolve your export problems.
Thank you so much, Joel, for testing it for me. I'll dig it further and try to figure it out. And just an update: I tested one new epub that showed wrong characters in Adobe Digital Editions but was represented correctly in Calibra. Still I have to test it on iOS to see what result it will give there. I'll let you know if I figure out something...
Europe, Middle East and Africa