Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Support for higher resolution on iPad?

Jun 8, 2012 7:46 AM

I realise the latest 1.2 release increased the maximum resolution supported to 2048x2048 at the expense of the number of layers supported.

Are there any plans to extend this further, even if it only means supported say 4 layers? Most of my image editing apps (iPhoto, FilterStorm, Photogene etc.) can support my Nikon 12.2MP images without reduction and output at the full size so it seems this is still a limitation with Photoshop Touch which can only support a 3rd of this resolution.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to AndyWhiteford

2048 x 2048 is about 4.2 megapixels worth, which is a little under what most tablets have natively in their front-facing cameras (about 5 megapixels).

The catch here is hardware, particularly in the area of memory. Most high-end tablets top out at 1 GB of memory; paltry compared to their desktop brethren but tablets are not desktops nor were they meant to be. Their strength is their mobility. I think of my tablet as an extension of my desktop.

Apps like FilterStorm and Photogene may be like Photoshop but from what I understand, they struggle with large images (see above). Add any layers with effects, blends, selections, etc. and you're multiplying what the hardware has to do. Adobe was smart in this regard; they realized the hardware limitation of tablets and adjusted accordingly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to AndyWhiteford

AndyWhiteford wrote:

I'm fine with how Adobe hace approached this. My point is I have managed to edit full 12MP images on the iPad in these other apps and output at full size without any issues at all. I appreciate the image size will have a direct impact on the layers supported due to the limitations of available RAM but even if they limited it to 2 layers, you would at least have the choice of being able to edit these images in Photoshop Touch. Even if they disabled layers entirely for large images, it would still be a benefit being able to use this application to edit images as opposed to switching to different apps depending on the task at hand.

The point I'm trying to hammer home to anyone reading this is to realize the limitations tablets currently have. Sure, you might be OK with being only to edit a few layers when using a higher resolution but are others? Do they even know their tablets' specs? (I bet most don't even know the memory capacity their tablets have.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to AndyWhiteford

I'm an Android user, not iPad, but the arguement is the same for both platforms.  I don't think tablets are meant to replace the functionality of its elder brothers, the PC.  Hence tablet applications are not meant to have the same depth and flexibility as their PC counterparts.  For instance I have been a bit frustrated with tablet office software, trying to correct some minor points only to find out I don't have, or can't maintain, the same format as the rest of the document.  In the case of editing photos I suppose one could look for a software to handle editing on one layer only, albeit at full size, and live with multi-layer editing on a limited size.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points