Skip navigation
Also Menford
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Issue selecting multiple objects via layers panel

Jun 13, 2012 1:55 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #help #issue #adobe #layer #cs6 #objects #selecting #expensive #layers_panel #missing_feature

In CS5 through CS3, when in illustrator (PC version) with default preferences you could:

-  First hold down the ALT key and then drag the cursor over multiple layers in the layers panel to select all the objects contained within those layers,

or

- First click a layer and then press and hold the ALT key while dragging the cursor to duplicate a single layer to a new location

in CS6 Both actions have the same outcome: duplicating the layer that was initially clicked

Does anyone know if the ability to select multiple objects via the layers panel by alt-click-then-dragging was removed/forgotten or if there is a preference that needs adjusting?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Also Menford

It appears to be another casualty of The 64bit Rewrite... There's also some interface weirdness that came along in the Layers panel as well - if you click on the selection dot, you can dupe with alt/option, but there's no indication that you are.  If you click in the area around the name of the object/layer, then you see a box with a plus, indicating duplication...

I would submit a feature request...  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to Also Menford

Any thing wrong with holding a shift key and rather than dragging through a bunch of layers just clicking on the first and last one you want?

A lot more efficient.

If you need then to be selected in a incongruous sequence then use the control key and click on each layer regardless of the order or sequence.

Yeah, yeah we know but it was so challenging to drag through twenty layers that clicking twice is really spoiling the fun.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

How funny.  Did that work in previous versions too?  I always thought you had to have the selection dot on the layer to dupe them via the layers panel...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade, in CS5 and earlier, if you shift-click multiple layers, they are highlighted (which means you can act on them in certain ways, e.g., with the buttons at the base of the layers panel) but the objects on each of those layers are not selected. The only way I know to select all the objects on multiple layers is to option-drag through the layer names in the layers panel.

Has this changed in CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Your suggestion doesn't work in CS6. We're talking about selecting the contents of the layers, not merely layers in the layers panel.

I'm looking at over 100 layers right now, and I've got to select dozens at a time. It's a real pain having to click each stinking selection circle.

Yeesh, there's no way to select a bunch of adjacent layers in the panel? Seriously?

I'm moving my project back to CS5. I liked some of CS6's new features, but this won't do.

Message was edited by mapsnmad; sorry, was too sarcastic before.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to mapsnmad

I know this is not as efficient as the alt+drag object selection (I need it back in CS6 too), but here is a method:

Note: I use "layer" to refer to the row of each object in the layers panel.

1. Select the first object and group it
    2. Select the layer of next object and then shift+click the layer of the last object
    3. Drag the layers into the group (of the first object)
    4. Object select the group
    5. Ungroup

All the objects should be selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 10:03 PM   in reply to Janduza

So what is the solution to this?   Is there a way to select multiple objects in the layers panel anymore besides grouping in this way?  

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to Janduza

Ingenious workaround! But it's too bad they omitted the previous method, ie: option-drag. BTW, I keep an emty layer for this purpose, since I'm usually trying to collect a bunch of items into a group.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points